Pre-heat setting off the alarm

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJay

For the second time since I have owned it, this morning the pre-heat set off the alarm, repeatedly. All other days it has been fine, though this morning was exceptionally cold.

It is always when in de-mist mode, not heat mode, and usually after 6 or 7 minutes.

Anyone else have this happen?

can't help, but to avoid you having 50 views and no replies, all i can say is i have used pre heat at least 100 times and never had the alarm go off. I dont often use demist mode, only used that a dozen times. Have you recently added a dangling air freshener or furry dice ;) that might be blown about from air via windscreen and set off movement sensor?

I've had this happen 3 or 4 times over the last few months. But only goes off once, not repeatedly.

When I say repeatedly, I would remotely unlock and relock the car and the heating would continue and then a minute or so later it would go off again. On the third time I turned it off before the neighbours came round with pitchforks.

Only happened twice in 2 months of nearly daily heating, and no - no fluffy dice ;-)

fwiw, I have pre-heated at least once or twice just about every day recently, and it's never set off the alarm... :D

I guess it is down to air movement. I do use pre-heat and have never had the alarm go off, but I did once leave the sun roof open a bit and got an alarm.

I have had the same thing happen quite a few times early mornings. Alarm triggers after 7 minutes and i also unlock and relock to cancel the alarm only for it to sound again within a minute. I have now taken to unlocking as soon as the alarm activates and leaving unlocked. Dont want to upset the neighbours at 6.00am each morning.

Lodge271 said:
I have had the same thing happen quite a few times early mornings. Alarm triggers after 7 minutes and i also unlock and relock to cancel the alarm only for it to sound again within a minute. I have now taken to unlocking as soon as the alarm activates and leaving unlocked. Dont want to upset the neighbours at 6.00am each morning.

My problem is it locks itself again unless you physically go and open a door - I'll have to turn that off I suppose if it starts doing it more regularly...

I have had the same issue on a number of occasions - only seems to happen on very cold mornings and have to go out and open/close the door to stop the car re-locking when I turn the alarm off on the remote. It is annoying that a feature designed for cold days causes this issue when it is cold.

Never happened to me. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure if I have an alarm system or not. I just lock/unlock the car as usual with the key, but mostly the button on the door handle. Don't know if the locking is connected to a factory fitted alarm system or not.

jdsx said:
fwiw, I have pre-heated at least once or twice just about every day recently, and it's never set off the alarm... :D
That'll teach me! Pre-heat now setting off my alarm :cry: ! Anyone found a way to stop it? Just heat rather than de-mist?

i don't know, but I was the same as you - feeling smug that mine had never done that- and then lo and behold it happened the other day. The car was preheating and my 2 year old unlocked the car with the key fob - I pressed the button to lock it again and then the alarm went off a couple of minutes later, stopped it and it went off again. Not done it since though... famous last words.
H

Well mine has starting do this now. Last week did it once and then twice this week with this morning being the last time. I'm using demist also so is it a case of only using the heat setting rather than demist or has anyone found another way to stop this as I'm sure the neighbours are soon going to get fed up with a car alarm sound at 06:15!

I guess it's convection currents in the air confusing the motion sensor - I have had the alarm go off once or twice in the summer when I've left the sun roof slightly open.

Yes, you're probably right but seems a bit pointless having a system meant for cold weather for it to set alarm off when being used. I've email mitsubishi so I'll see what they come back with

I hate those ultrasonic motion alarms in cars, our C-Crosser has them and during the summer its regularly set off by bugs in the car. Usually late as it gets dark and they start fluttering up to the windscreen attracted to the street light. I have largely cured it by turning the sensors (they swivel on that car) to point towards the roof, for the sake of the neighbours.

Its almost inevitable on the PHEV that warm air blown up the windscreen is going to cause moving density change zones that upset the ultrasonic signals randomly.

You can electrically disable the interior alarm on leaving the car. Or put tape over the sensors!

I'm not quite sure, but I seem to recall that the ultrasonic alarm is activated by a second press on the remote. Correct me if I am wrong.
In any case, I press it once and even my dogs (three of them) have never activated the alarm.
Admittedly they are in a bench in the boot.

jaapv said:
I'm not quite sure, but I seem to recall that the ultrasonic alarm is activated by a second press on the remote. Correct me if I am wrong.
In any case, I press it once and even my dogs (three of them) have never activated the alarm.
Admittedly they are in a bench in the boot.

I am not sure about the PHEV but on the previous Outlander the alarm specification did vary by country, but from another thread it seems easy to avoid annoying the neighbours..

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3564#p3564

If you plan on pre heating the next morning, after turning off the car for the last time in the evening "Hold Wiper switch UP (Mist wipe) for 3 seconds - signal is 2 bleeps... Close and lock doors with key fob button or door button as normal..." to temporarily disable the interior alarm.

Movement sensors reset to ACTIVE the next time you unlock and open the door.

Mitsubishi said they were unaware of this problem and suggested I take it in to have the sensors checked out. Went in yesterday and they have performed a software update for the pre heat and also adjusted the sensor sensitivity so will see how it goes. The outside temp has dropped this morning and no alarm with pre heat so fingers crossed it's sorted although still very early days!

Back