Turn off sounds, beeps and bongs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puckernutter

Hi guys,

I have had my Outlander PHEV for a year now, driving it around in Sweden. It's equipped with the highest level of options we get here. This includes electric boot door, automatic cruice control, forward collision warning, lane departure warning and what not.

As you all know, the Outlander is a noisy fucker. It drives me insane to the point that this might be my first and last Mitsubishi ever. (but I have to live with it for another 2 years) I have searched around for definitive answers to locate, and turn off, all things that make a noise, but it's hard to find and gather the information. So I would like your help in identifying them, and then find a fix to take care of them all. I even visited my local workshop trying to persuade them to turn everything off in the software by setting those parameters to zero (null). Needless to say, the workshop wasn’t very cooperative regarding these issues. They wish they could help, but are simply not allowed.
So, here goes:

• 1) Menu in the instrumentation cluster – beeps on button press.
    Fix: Easy option to turn off exists in setting.

2) Electric boot door – beeps every time it opens or closes
    Fix: Disconnect speaker in boot. Step by step instructions: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=737

3) Car chimes immediately every time you turn it on without seat belt buckled.
    Fix: ?

4) External beeping every time you leave the car with your key in your pocket. Even though you’re just going around to your boot. (fuck this).

5) ACC (automatic cruise control) – Beeps twice every time it loses the follow car in front. (fuck this in particular)

6) Center console button press – beeps on every(!) button press.

7) Driver door - chiming constantly when open with ignition on. I guess this is not that important, but still god awful.

8) Center display – beeps on every button press.
    Fix: Option to turn off exists in setting.

This is what I can pull out of my mind now? Any known fixes for these? Lifting a cable, removing a fuse, anything at all? Any other noise makers I forgot?

Try these. The tailgate beeper is an easy one!

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=737
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=648&hilit=beeping+tailgate&start=10

There's also this for general beeps:

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=762&p=7044&hilit=beeper#p7044

The one that sounds from under the back bumper when you get out with the key has been dealt with by someone on here (disconnected it), but I can't find it.

puckernutter said:
That usualy can be done by opening the seat belt resceiver (two screws?) and simply disconnect or remove the switch that sits in there and checks if you're buckled up.
Put it in a small plasticbag and keep it in the glovebox so you can reinstall it before selling the car.
2-3 minute job....

Seatbelt receiver?? Whats that thing called in proper english?

images

Kim said:
puckernutter said:
That usualy can be done by opening the seat belt resceiver (two screws?) and simply disconnect or remove the switch that sits in there and checks if you're buckled up.
Put it in a small plasticbag and keep it in the glovebox so you can reinstall it before selling the car.
2-3 minute job....

Seatbelt receiver?? Whats that thing called in proper english?

images
And if you do so you will have made the car illegal (admittedly in a minor way) in many countries.

I would say: don't do anything to disable the seatbelt beep. There is a good reason for having it. But if you must, make sure you do not somehow disable the airbag at the same time. Best to test thoroughly :mrgreen:

Do they sell these where you live?

Mini%20gordelverlenger.png

or

00150832.jpg

Also consider that if you are in an accident and are deemed to have modified the vehicle in any way that affects the safety features of the vehicle your insurance will be null and void. Be a very expensive cost for the sake of a few beeps.

You can actually avoid some of the beeps by closing the door and putting the seat belt on before you start the car.

Almost all the beeps are when you start or stop the car - they are over and done with in less than a minute. I guess the LDW and ACC can beep while you are driving, but they really are the only difference between a GX4h and a GX4hs - if you don't like them, why on earth did you pay several thousand more for them?

I wouldn't advocate doing it, but if you want to disable the seat belt BONG! BONG! BONG! / door open BEEEEEEP and all the other racket, you may appreciate this video that shows where the speaker is: http://youtu.be/uTisolnQ5eM
Its a diesel outlander but the issue is the same and the fix looks the same.

I went through the same agony looking for fixes and found it on page 3 of this thread : http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/outlander-king-beeps-40856/page3

I'll keep hunting for a software fix or try and learn to buckle up before starting as opposed to starting and buckling up. I'm struggling, its a 30 year old habit of having cars that didnt always start and having to jump out and pop the bonnet - you kind of learn not do do your seatbelt until you know the engine has fired!

maby said:
Almost all the beeps are when you start or stop the car - they are over and done with in less than a minute. I guess the LDW and ACC can beep while you are driving, but they really are the only difference between a GX4h and a GX4hs - if you don't like them, why on earth did you pay several thousand more for them?
The difference wasn't that big I believe. We are offered three spec levels in Sweden, I don't know how it compares to the UK spec, and I only knew I wanted ACC included in the top spec but had no idea it would make such racket when "losing" the car in front. You can't even disable ACC and use standard CC. Anyway, I only test drove a midspec car for 30 minutes and then phoned a dealer, negotiated a price over a few weeks, and 4 months later I had it. After subsidies and such the car cost only about £30000 (i also negotiated a 12% discount). The list price on my spec was £40000. It was the powertrain, technology and (green) economy that won me over, not poor japanese end user design.

@aitchjaybee thanks, I'll look into it.

puckernutter said:
You can't even disable ACC and use standard CC.

When I test drove the Outlander PHEV I could choose between ACC (short press on the ACC button on the steering wheel) and normal CC (long press on the ACC button on the steering wheel).
Why doesn't that work in your countries version?

These beeps are doing my head in.

Yesterday I was trying to listen to the tennis on the radio with the driver’s door open whilst I was doing some stuff outside the car. I went through the manual but couldn’t find out how to turn these off. Is there any way to turn these beeps off while the driver’s door is open?

SMB said:
These beeps are doing my head in.

Yesterday I was trying to listen to the tennis on the radio with the driver’s door open whilst I was doing some stuff outside the car. I went through the manual but couldn’t find out how to turn these off. Is there any way to turn these beeps off while the driver’s door is open?

Surely you could have listened to the radio with the car powered up to ACC, couldn't you - I don't think that complains about the door being open...

I selected the power button once and it beeped when the door is open and then twice into ready mode and it beeped. When the power switch is off you can't turn on the radio. So when the radio is on and door open you can't avoid the beeps. :evil:

It's a bit like the spoilt child in the supermarket with its parents, having tantrums and making everyone's shopping experience a nightmare. You can choose to ignore it and it's not so bad. The beeps don't get to me. I never went the top of the range because I Googled other forums before making a choice, Nissan forums complain about the very same lane departure warning Sounds. And many others beeps and sounds mainly on you guessed it the topnotch the range model. life's not perfect and nor are cars..

anko said:
Kim said:
puckernutter said:
Why doesn't that work in your countries version?
Works in Dutch cars with ACC ...

I tested this on 50 mile motorway journey yesterday; works as per standard CC, without all the beeps and bongs! The only thing missing is that you can't see what speed you've set to, other than estimating via the speedo.

Back