What is the total power of the PHEV?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

The Outlander PHEV has 3 engines - an internal combustion engine rated at 121 hp, an electric motor that powers the front wheels rated at 82 hp and 137 nm, and an electric motor that powers the rear wheels rated at 82 hp and 195 nm of torque. (I know nm ishould be lb-ft, but I got this off of a dutch site).

Can we simply add up all the power to get the total?

Why does the rear electric have more torque even the power ratings are the same? Anyone on this PHEV forum know?

The official rating for the Outlander PHEV is 220hp - the ICE drives in parallel hybrid mode and works together with the electric motor for the front wheels, so when both are operating there should be more torque than just what the electric motor can put out?

Another thing to keep in mind - at speeds of over 120 km/h, if the internal combustion motor kicks on, the electric motor on the front axle will shut off.
The rear electric motor is always working and on when in 4wd mode.

Hello.

Total power of 3 engines is meanless...
The more interesting parameter is an total "available" power = Battery power + ICE power on generator.
ICE power is known = 70kw, but I never see battery specs :(
12 kWh is a capacity, not a power.

Does anyone found battery parameters for Outlander PHEV ?
300 Volts, 12 kWh, but power is unknown, need to know Maximum Discharge Ampers.

May be, somebody know "Electric only" power of Outlander ?

Igor.

IgorTr said:
Hello.

Total power of 3 engines is meanless...
The more interesting parameter is an total "available" power = Battery power + ICE power on generator.
ICE power is known = 70kw, but I never see battery specs :(
12 kWh is a capacity, not a power.

Does anyone found battery parameters for Outlander PHEV ?
300 Volts, 12 kWh, but power is unknown, need to know Maximum Discharge Ampers.

May be, somebody know "Electric only" power of Outlander ?

Igor.

Hi Igor,

Each electric motor is rated at 60kW power - is that what you mean?

The max discharge of the battery pack isn't too important, we can assume that it can discharge fast enough to provide the 60kW of power when wanted.

Marta

Hello.

No, 60 kW for each motor was easy to find in specs...but it tell nothing.

Simple example:
Prius GEN3 have 60 kW motor, but the battery have only 25 kW (in best days) available.
So, if I want to stay in EV mode - I have only 25 kW. Requst more and ICE start and add 40 kW from generator + some by mechanics.

Battery power is realy important - it define the available power for slient acceleartion,
and we could not expect that battery have all 60 kW (why 60?, 2x60=120) available.

We could imaginge, that it have something about 50kW, because in full throttle we have
60kW+60kW=120 kW on wheels, 70 kW comes from generator, 120-70=50 kW from battery,
but its just a guess...

That is why am looking and asking for battery specs.

I also find, that 60 kW is peak electric power. Constant electric motor power is 25kW,
and this match my guess about 50kW on battery..

Could somebody make a video with 0-100 kmh acceleartion while keeping ICE off, on the edge of green zone ?

Does an acceleration time of 0-60 mph help with anything? I think I remember seeing that posted on the Norwegian forum (using Google translate)

A lot of videos with full throttle acceleartion of PHEV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTy1OHLGQb4
Runs very nice until have charge, and much worse while discharged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GiekMbp86M

But nothing about EV-only mode.... :-(

Just as something interting I found, here's an image of the Outlander PHEV vs the gasoline Outlander for acceleration

image.aspx

image.aspx

I thinks the PHEV is a vast amount faster on 30-35 and 60-65 compared to de 3.0ltr V6. Also the left graph with the G-force (m/s2), shows an enormous acceleration during the length of that test (0-60?)

I found somewhere that in Charge mode, on flat ground, 0-100km/h is about 8.8 seconds

This link might be of some use to you:
youtu.be/0CfSvTapVHQ

Electrical power of the electrical motors is 60 kW, but the available power of the battery is 60 kW in total.
This means that the car only has 60 kW (30 front and 30 rear) in full electrical modus.
From the moment more power is required, the fuel-engine engages, and both electrical motors can deliver their 60 kW. At that moment the fuel engine only works as generator, but delivers the missing power.

From 70 km/hr, the clutch can close to drive he front wheels directly with the fuel engine.

Kind regards,

Is it a noticeable 'clunk' when the extra power shows up? Or is it relatively smooth?

I'd hate to have the Outlander PHEV lurch around when giving it some throttle trying to overtake someone.

During my short testdrive the PHEV drives very smooth in all modes, and you can not notice any change. Just by looking at the display you can "see" the differences.

The same comments are given from all (dutch) drivers.

Even the engaging of the clutch (which is the only real mechanical change) can not be felt or heared.

The only strange thing is that the sound of the fuel engine is not synchronized with the car speed. You have to get used to a new way of driving ...

Senappel said:
Electrical power of the electrical motors is 60 kW, but the available power of the battery is 60 kW in total.
This means that the car only has 60 kW (30 front and 30 rear) in full electrical modus.
From the moment more power is required, the fuel-engine engages, and both electrical motors can deliver their 60 kW. At that moment the fuel engine only works as generator, but delivers the missing power.

From 70 km/hr, the clutch can close to drive he front wheels directly with the fuel engine.

Kind regards,
This is interesting because I've never seen battery power in specs of any EV. This maybe happens because the battery available power is not a constant: it depends on expected life and range of the battery, besides battery internal resistance and ability to disperse internally generated heat.
You can discharge any battery at 1C or 10C.... But if battery is not designed for 10C, it will became soon hot, its available capacity will temporarily fall, and its expected cyclelife will permanenty fall. You can find these data only in battery datasheet, which cars manufacturers do not release to the public, AFAIK.

About motor power,20 kWh are enuough(*)to travel at 120 kph constant speed, so the additional (peak) power is just for acceleration, and in my experience 40 W/kg power/mass ratio is enough to accomplish 0-100 kmh in around 13s.
Outlander has a 1800 kg mass and, supposing 60 kW power, this means 33 W/kg, so probably you're wrong about battery power:at least 100 kW are needed to go 0-100 kph in 11 secs as declared.

Additionally, how much current is driven from battery is not "decided" by motor but by motor controller, but again, no manufacturer will give you specs of its controllers.

edit:
if these are actually the batteries mounted on i-Miev and Outlander, we're talking about 90 kW peak power (300Ax300V):
http://www.gsyuasa-lp.com/download/file/fid/127

(*)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-rolling-resistance.php?Weight=1830&WeightUnits=kg&CRR=.008&Cd=.34&FrontalArea=20&FrontalAreaUnits=ft^2&FuelWh=33557&IceEfficiency=.22&DrivetrainEfficiency=.95&ParasiticOverhead=0&rho=1.225&FromToStep=5-200-5

so probably you're wrong about battery power:at least 100 kW are needed to go 0-100 kph in 11 secs as declared.

This is wrong, its not the battery power, but total power.
You can get 100 kw from two sources: 60 from battery and 40 from grenerator for example.
The only way to check the battery power is 0-100 kph run at "green" zone on eco-monitor, trying to avoid to accelerate as fast as possible, but holding generator stopped.

Back