Recuperative braking behavior

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgorTr

Hi all.

Owners, please describe how does it work.

1. Both pedal in neutral position. "D"-mode. Does it brake ?
2. Both pedal in neutral position. "Bx"-mode. How does it brake ?
3. Slight Braking. "D"-mode. Does it brake by recharging or simply by friction brakes ? Is it possible to feel when friction brakes applies ?

Short video with dashborad in this modes would be great. And first one in youtube :)

Thanks.

IgorTr said:
Hi all.

3. Slight Braking. "D"-mode. Does it brake by recharging or simply by friction brakes ? Is it possible to feel when friction brakes applies ?

Short video with dashborad in this modes would be great. And first one in youtube :)

Thanks.

Hi, as I understand it
1) No, unless you use paddles to achieve " Bx functionality"
2) By charging
3) Friction brake

Charging is only used by Bx-mode or paddles
Breaking only affects friction brakes.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

I am upset, if you are right.

It means, that there is no "Regen cooperation" like in Prius - Recharge on breaking always, use friction brake only to compensate lack of regenerative braking
( battery full or maximum battery current reached )

Is it realy true ?

bullit said:
IgorTr said:
Hi all.

Thanks.

Hi, as I understand it
1) No, unless you use paddles to achieve " Bx functionality"
2) By charging
3) Friction brake

Charging is only used by Bx-mode or paddles
Breaking only affects friction brakes.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, consider yourself corrected.

1. D mode equals to B2 in regenerative braking. So letting of the throttle starts charging with kinetic energy.
2. Six settings in B-mode. B0 = no regenerative braking, B2 = normal, B5 = max regen.
3. Pressing the brake pedal at least increases to charging like B5, but I have witnessed more "boost" in the charge meter while pressing brake, so maybe more is available in certain circumstances.

3. Pressing the brake pedal at least increases to charging like B5, but I have witnessed more "boost" in the charge meter while pressing brake, so maybe more is available in certain circumstances.

Nice ! :)

Thanks for the details on this, I also had wondered how the braking functioned when driving in normal conditions.

As a Prius driver I found the PHEV's easy selection of regenerative braking level to be brilliant. I can imagine adjusting the B level as traffic conditions change.
And a high Bx level can be modulated with the accelerator pedal, just like with the Prius.

Question: Do the brake lights come on at any Bx level when the accelerator is released?
B5 is strong, descent-level braking and it would make sense if the brake lights came on.
(The prototype VW e-Golf had 3 levels of regen and the brake lights came on at the highest level.)

Bradders said:
Question: Do the brake lights come on at any Bx level when the accelerator is released?
B5 is strong, descent-level braking and it would make sense if the brake lights came on.
(The prototype VW e-Golf had 3 levels of regen and the brake lights came on at the highest level.)

No. Brake lights are not lit when using B5. However, brake lights do work when ACC decelerates vehicle.

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone think that brake lights on when regen is set to B5 would be a good feature?

BTW, I was driving my Prius in heavy traffic in a tunnel yesterday. Traffic was travelling at 20km/h (80km/h zone).
I discovered that for most of my initial regen braking, my brake lights are off. There's about 25% regen showing in the CHG zone of the HSI, but my foot is not pressed far enough against the brake pedal to engage the brake light switch. I'm sure it's a simple adjustment.

Back