PHEV management of AUX battery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

The AUX battery in my PHEV and perhaps all others is a Lead acid type. I have a continuous voltage monitor plugged into the cig lighter socket and most of the time this reads 14.6V. On my aussie road trip, the PHEV was driven for up to 4 hours in a stretch. Sometimes the voltage dropped to the expected float voltage of 13.8V, but not often and usually after considerable time. The voltage is displayed only when the car is in ACCessory or Power ON mode and not when powered OFF.

I hava a HUD plugged into the OBD2 port and this is powered with a trivial amount of current. This unit powers ON and OFF with CAN bus activity on the OBD2 port. I have noticed that in the colder weather at the moment that when the PHEV is locked or unlocked that the HUD unit powers ON in the settings mode. This happens also with use of other power devices like power seat adjustment. The car is not powered ON at this point. Coincidentally maybe, system warnings have also started to pop up on the dash with the PHEV powered ON and not even being driven.

It seems that the recharging regime adopted in the PHEV may not be that good for the AUX battery that powers all the sub systems.

Annual replacement of the AUX battery or at least full performance testing of the battery may be needed.

How many forum members have had the AUX battery a part of a solution fix for a problem with their PHEV?

Back