Wheel stud torques

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

I have been a victim of overtight wheel studs. Not sure if the culprit was the mechanic who last serviced the PHEV, or corrosion of the stud from some 4WDing. Turns out that I needed a 600mm breaker bar on the wheel stud to get sufficient leverage to undo the front wheel studs. The torque wrench I borrowed could not budge the nuts on the max 200ftp setting. The supplied tools were unable to budge them. Luckily I found out when rotating the tyres and not on the side of the road with a puncture. The only sign of a problem was a bit of alloy metal around the washers after removing. The steel threads were shiny, with just a trace of white dust.

Have invested in a torque wrench of my own and will be checking myself after all services now, and at least monthly until I am sure there is not some other cause. Seems like the power tools used by dealers may be overtightening as the PHEV was only serviced 6 weeks ago. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Back