Using the car as a generator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jms64

Does anyone know it is possible to use the ac charging connection on the car to provide a 13amp feed of electricity and effectively use the car as an emergency generator

I think this facility is only available to use in America Think this facility is only used in America and not here in the UK

Hi, Jon,

See this thread: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=980&hilit=emergency+power&start=0

The V2H unit seems to use the ChaDemo socket, which effectively directly connects to the 300 volt drive battery (I think). Output is stated as 1500w at 100v ac.

The domestic ac input on the car goes to a battery charging circuit, so you won't see any voltage on there that you could use. It's just like a separate car battery charger, but hidden inside the car.

I saw recently that Honda will be releasing a portable transformer, like their portable generators, for EV cars that plugs into the DC socket and outputs 240v AC. Think it's slated for 2016

The easiest option is to use a standard 12V inverter and hook it up to your aux battery. You need to ensure that the car is on when you use it so that the traction battery charges the aux battery.

Latronics has made a custom case especially for Outlander customers. It is a 1000W inverter with in built RCD, overload protection and under voltage cut out. http://latronics.com.au/docs/Flyer.pdf

will36 said:
The easiest option is to use a standard 12V inverter and hook it up to your aux battery. You need to ensure that the car is on when you use it so that the traction battery charges the aux battery.

Latronics has made a custom case especially for Outlander customers. It is a 1000W inverter with in built RCD, overload protection and under voltage cut out. http://latronics.com.au/docs/Flyer.pdf

I would be very nervous about putting a 1kw inverter on there - that is going to draw well over 80 amps which must be well above the levels that the 12v circuit was designed to source!

The DC-DC converter (300V --> 12V) is rated at 120A. The 1kW inverter doesn't draw more than 80A at full 1000W load. Depending on what else you have on, it usually leaves plenty for the inverter. You can always fuse it for less if required.

I would be waiting for the 300VDC to 240VAC inverter option. Too many losses with dropping down to 12VDC and then back up to 240VAC. I have a 160W inverter and this does nearly all I need.

Does the DC charging socket connect to the battery directly? does it have power output, if so we can look some aftermarket inverter 300VDC - 100-240V AC.

There are many Chademo V2H units on the market in China and Japan. Essentially plug into the Chademo socket and it'll produce 230V 50Hz (or other voltages/frequencies depending on model) at up to 30A. The Chademo standard was meant to allow for V2H and V2G supplies as well as G2V for charging.

They're not cheap though as you'd expect given the power levels involved. Around US$3500 for something capable of 30A. I suspect lower current versions exist but I've not seen them advertised.

Back