Engine driving wheels even with no foot on the accelerator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonwilson

Having a bit of a nightmare with Mitsubishi who claim all is working normally, yet I can't believe it as the driving experience in certain scenarios is horrid. In brief, it's below:

- battery empty (or save)
- speed more than 40mph so engine drives wheels directly (orange arrow from engine to wheels in dash display)
- in normal drive mode
- take foot off the accelerator, at this point heavy engine regen occurs (arrow from wheels to battery) AND engine continues to drive wheels (orange light to wheels) intermittently. So engine drives wheels, then brake regen, then vice versa.. all with no foot on any pedal. Results in lurching motion in car, worsened with speed you are going when foot taken off accelerator.

Be interested if anyone has had this issue. I took a tech guy from local dealer out and he experienced issue. He summarised, contacted mitsubishi and apparently normal operation. Thing is, I don't recall this during first 3-4 months of owning car. On longer journeys, the car is horrid, you literally can't coast without this jolting motion.

I have pics of the dash display if helpful and even a video of dash during this odd behaviour. For me, the moment I take my foot off the pedal, there should be no more power pushed to the wheels from the engine. When running in battery mode at similar speeds and take your foot off the pedal, the car coasts smooth as you like. So clearly JUST a scenario when engine driving wheels directly.

If I am honest, it's a nice smooth car around town, just can't believe this odd behaviour is "normal", ruins the experience of the car for me.

Any advice or thoughts welcomed - is it working as designed??

It's not a driving pattern that I would often adopt - I don't generally coast a car - but I don't recall ours behaving like this ever.

IMHO Sounds like a fault with the power control system.

My ICE continues to show on the dash with foot off the gas is in B0. will be no regen. or in CHARGE or SAVE modes in certain PHEV controlled battery recharging.

Is it possible that the gear selector operation sequence has been changed, like pulling towards you again after drive has been selected? You mention battery empty battery and Normal, Does it happen in other modes, CHARGE and SAVE?

Maybe a black box has lost some setting info.

My experience has been that unless an error is shown and logged by the PHEV systems that MMC are reluctant to take any action.

This is an ideal scenario to record PID data and go back armed with more evidence.

Some sensor is off, I'd say.

My car does not do that.

*edit*

In parallel mode + B2(D), my car disengage the clutch and regens when I lift the foot.

In parallel mode + B0, it still drives the wheels but charges the batteries.
I think that this specific configuration is quite delicate,
as the car is balancing forces to match the B0 setting in EV mode.

I have had exactly this issue.

Have you changed your tyres recently or is there a significant tyre tread depth difference across the wheels?

This situation you describe was the preceeding issue to my current problem (see RBS System Failure) which has left me without the car for a month.

anko said:
karl said:
In parallel mode + B2(D), my car disengage the clutch and regens when I lift the foot.
Can I ask, how do you know / why do you think it does?

Ah Ok.

In those situations when the engine would not run anyways, it just shuts down. I am just guessing that it will then disengage the clutch.

I am not sure what happens with the clutch when the engine will keep running anyways (In charge-mode, battery low or lower than save-mode set-point, or heating, or just running because it has been running for a very short while. ) but judging from the display, it very seldom stays in parallel mode and regens, although it think it happens sometimes.

Have you measured something else :)

SIMON my car has started doing exactly what you have described 2014 phev with 28000 mls took to dealers on tuesday and had a mechanic ride out with me to show him exactly what it was doing take your foot off the gas and for a second or so it drives the wheels and regens from the wheels at the same time, feet no where near the pedals but gives the effect of accelerating and braking at the same time, dealer plugged car in no faults revealed dealer has spoken to mitsubishi uk to talk to phev tech guy but on hols til monday so i await a verdict, but being a mechanic since i left school its definately not right

Yep - have this when using cruise control at speed and going down hill as car intermittently brakes & accelerates in a effort to maintain setting. Seems perfectly normal to me :roll:

RAPIDRATCHET said:
... and for a second or so it drives the wheels and regens from the wheels at the same time, feet no where near the pedals but gives the effect of accelerating and braking at the same time, ...
I would think you can only feel the net result of the two. IMHO this would be about the same as the effect of the ICE driving the generator with the clutch engaged, which is about always when the car is running in parallel mode. So, can you elaborate on what exactly you experience?

BTW: You should not go just by the graphics by the dashboard as these are known to be not always correct.

greendwarf said:
Yep - have this when using cruise control at speed and going down hill as car intermittently brakes & accelerates in a effort to maintain setting. Seems perfectly normal to me :roll:
Using cruise control is about the same as putting your foot on the throttle. I would hope that if RAPIDRATCHET was using CC, he would have said so? :eek:

Just to add some more light on whats going on? when i first noticed the car doing this, it was a feeling through the experience of driving the car thousands of miles with no problems to what it does now, only then did i flick through the screen settings to confirm what i thought it was doing and its worse with the adaptive cruise control on as it can`t decide whether to brake or accelerate one at a time or do both at the same time but its not smooth its an abrupt change and driven manually ie using your feet if im accelerating then let off it does it (regens & brakes) or steady downhill regening it will drive the wheels now n then its definitely got a problem confirmed by the mechanic/tech lad i took out

Back