Bought EvBatMon for Xmas

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here... works a treat.

Use an old Nextbook to run it. Very impressive....

My battery % is 91.4% (car built date is Mar 2014, 11,000km)

Care to share your info?

For any local (Australia) users, the WI-FI OBD adaptor sold by Jaycar works fine with it. It also has an on-off switch so it can be left plugged in.

HHL said:
Same here... works a treat.

Use an old Nextbook to run it. Very impressive....

My battery % is 91.4% (car built date is Mar 2014, 11,000km)

Care to share your info?

Sure.

Battery condition 90%.

Car built Feb 2014(bought April 2014), 31,415kms

My Phev is car, I believe is #161 from the factory for AUS, 2014 build. Battery at 97.7% and 45000km, with average 7.6L/100km since new. EvBatMon Beta tester and using an EBay WiFi OBD adapter with a switch. Samsung Tab8 S2 running Android 5, Lollipop, has a good spot in front of the MMCS.

Got mine a couple of days ago and the Jaycar Wifi obd to make it work.. It certainly has all the info you could need and finally managed to add the coolant temp widget to it as well. A bit trial and error to get it to appear where you want it.. Im about to do a big tow with my new jayco pop top camper and wanted to monitor radiator temp.. Mine is showing as 86 ‰ Batt Pmc so not so good maybe but it also reveals speed gauge in dash is 5km/hr faster than digi gauge. Setting CC to 100 is actually 95. Will i push it thriugh a speed cam and see.. Dunno..

Be aware: the speed difference is not a constant of 5 km/h but the difference increases with increasing speed. Like with any car, the dashboard purposely 'lies' to us, to prevent us from chasing the manufacturer to pay our speeding tickets.

You will see the speed reading from EvBatMon matches very, very close to a GPS reading.

You inspired me, great app!

Evbatmon is reporting 33,6 Ah Battery Capacity and 88.42 PCM.

My car is manufactured 2013-12 and have been used (and charged) more or less every day since 2014-04 total 55500 km, 2 589 km/mounth. My commuting distance are 15 km single trip (more or less 100% EV), but due to many long distance trips some of them towing a caravan my mean gasoline usage is 0,55 l/10km.

I don´t know what is was from the beginning but if we suppose it was 38 Ah I have lost (38-33,6)/21 = 0,21 Ah/mounth since I start using it.

Mats said:
Evbatmon is reporting 33,6 Ah Battery Capacity and 88.42 PCM.
I don´t know what is was from the beginning but if we suppose it was 38 Ah I have lost (38-33,6)/21 = 0,21 Ah/mounth since I start using it.

I just thought I'd show you what we've been working on for the next version of EvBatMon - http://www.evpositive.com/battery-history.html . This is real data from my PHEV!

This feature should be ready for beta testing in the next week or two, however in the meantime EvBatMon is already collecting your battery capacity data against time and distance. So you can look forward to seeing this automatically being graphed in the future.

Just bought it as well... Batteryhealth is at 83.42%, bought the car in may 2014, got 53.333 kilometres so far. Daily charging, first 2 months no charging (incidental charging with running engine).

The cause of my pretty quick decline unfortunately is most likely due to my rather 'sportive' driving... Quick acceleration, etcetera

Mitsi has published that for warranty, that a max of 20% loss of capacity is expected in the 5year battery warranty period. I had one that Mitsi measured that had 15% loss in the showroom. Don't have it any more. My current 2014 PHEV is reporting 96.4%, but under 40% EV use, and 7.4L/100km lifetime average. Battery health has gone down with more EV only use since my last post.

Mats said:
Evbatmon is reporting 33,6 Ah

I've just discovered something which I always suspected might be the case but not found evidence until today. The BMU's calculated value for Battery Capacity (and therefore the PMC "Percentage of Manufacturer's Capacity") can increase!

The reason I suspected it, is that this Ah capacity must be somehow calculated in the BMU based on actual drain of the battery or voltages etc, yet we don't ever simply drain the battery from full to empty, due to regen, short trips, ICE etc. So why couldn't the calculated capacity increase due to different set of data?

Well the value calculated in the BMU for my battery has increased from 35.4Ah on 29 Dec 2015 to 35.8Ah on 18th Jan 2016. During this period the PHEV had very little use apart from a 250km run mainly on petrol, as well as sitting fully charged for much of the period including a 42*C day. Interesting also was during the period of not using the PHEV I looked at the SOC and it dropped 10% to SOC real 92.5% from say 102% straight after charging. So it is definitely best to charge just prior to driving if you want maximum EV range.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen their Ah Capacity / PMC increase?

zzcoopej said:
Mats said:
Evbatmon is reporting 33,6 Ah

I've just discovered something which I always suspected might be the case but not found evidence until today. The BMU's calculated value for Battery Capacity (and therefore the PMC "Percentage of Manufacturer's Capacity") can increase!

The reason I suspected it, is that this Ah capacity must be somehow calculated in the BMU based on actual drain of the battery or voltages etc, yet we don't ever simply drain the battery from full to empty, due to regen, short trips, ICE etc. So why couldn't the calculated capacity increase due to different set of data?

Well the value calculated in the BMU for my battery has increased from 35.4Ah on 29 Dec 2015 to 35.8Ah on 18th Jan 2016. During this period the PHEV had very little use apart from a 250km run mainly on petrol, as well as sitting fully charged for much of the period including a 42*C day. Interesting also was during the period of not using the PHEV I looked at the SOC and it dropped 10% to SOC real 92.5% from say 102% straight after charging. So it is definitely best to charge just prior to driving if you want maximum EV range.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen their Ah Capacity / PMC increase?

Would most likely have been caused by the BMU having done a cell balance. It does state that somewhere in the technical manual.

BMU performs cell balancing very often. I have seen increases of SOC because of this. But never of PCM. Can you a bit more specific in your reference to the tech manual?

anko said:
BMU performs cell balancing very often. I have seen increases of SOC because of this. But never of PCM. Can you a bit more specific in your reference to the tech manual?

Is on page 110 of the technical training guide.

HHL said:
anko said:
Okay. Seen it. But you should be aware that the BMU reports two parameters:

- Current Capacity - This is home much Ah the battery currently can store
- Remaining Capacity - This is how much Ah the battery currently does store

I think balancing takes place in order to allow Remaining Capacity to get as close to Current Capacity as possible during charging. PCM is comparing current Current Capacity to Current Capacity by the timer it left the factory.

The document speaks of maximising capacity. Which of the two will it be?

anko said:
HHL said:
anko said:
Okay. Seen it. But you should be aware that the BMU reports two parameters:

- Current Capacity - This is home much Ah the battery currently can store
- Remaining Capacity - This is how much Ah the battery currently does store

I think balancing takes place in order to allow Remaining Capacity to get as close to Current Capacity as possible during charging. PCM is comparing current Current Capacity to Current Capacity by the timer it left the factory.

The document speaks of maximising capacity. Which of the two will it be?

Who knows? It would be very interesting to know just what algorithm is used to determine the current capacity, as the battery is never fully discharged, nor is it ever fully charged at 4.1V.

In any case, the EVBATMON app does give some idea of what is going on and seems to be the best we have for now. I would not go shopping for another PHEV without it :cool:

I've now bought EVBatMon and it is very good.

I doubt whether I'll get that obsessed about the battery to use many of the future developments shown in the list of 'gauges' which can be used although the battery condition history graph will be very useful.

As an amateur technologist I would appreciate (despite the app's title and primary function) being also able to see the petrol consumption details on the app and as here in the UK although are forced to buy fuel in litres many (most?) still think miles per gallon in respect of fuel consumption rather than km per litre. I've already messaged EVBat re this and the response being that as two people have now asked for this from the UK it will move up their wish list I can only assume to be mickey taking :)

I feel that as the app installed is for the Outlander PHEV which does have hybrid qualities that the app, for me, is incomplete without the ability to cater for all of its sources of power.

I haven't figured out a use for the Engine Fuel Rate gauge whether in litres or gallons per hour.

Also, I keep deleting the gauges for Fuel Rate and Barometric Pressure (which appear on the 'Fuel Level' screen) but every time I reboot the app there they are again!

But still so much to learn on the route to total EV geekdom :roll:

JimB

Claymore said:

As an amateur technologist I would appreciate (despite the app's title and primary function) being also able to see the petrol consumption details on the app and as here in the UK although are forced to buy fuel in litres many (most?) still think miles per gallon in respect of fuel consumption rather than km per litre. I've already messaged EVBat re this and the response being that as two people have now asked for this from the UK it will move up their wish list I can only assume to be mickey taking :)

I feel that as the app installed is for the Outlander PHEV which does have hybrid qualities that the app, for me, is incomplete without the ability to cater for all of its sources of power.

JimB

The built in trip meter on the MMCS screen does that quite well, just press reset when it is in auto mode as soon as the battery is depleted and the engine starts, and there you have it !

HHL said:
It would be very interesting to know just what algorithm is used to determine the current capacity, as the battery is never fully discharged, nor is it ever fully charged at 4.1V.

The Lithium ION battery is fully charged at 4.1v/cell.

There are differences between chemistry types, like LiPo, and LYP etc.

My LYP in the house power supply battery is fully recharged at 4.0V/cell, and flat at 2.9V/cell, but I operate it from 3.1-3.65V/cell and get about 70% usable capacity with a long cycle life. from 3.4V there is little additional capacity, but cell balancing is done.

HHL said:
Claymore said:

JimB

The built in trip meter on the MMCS screen does that quite well, just press reset when it is in auto mode as soon as the battery is depleted and the engine starts, and there you have it !

Maybe I'm being obtuse (and I am increasingly so!) but if I've got to wait until the battery is depleted and at the moment the engine starts press rest I don't think that's very user friendly.

What I want to be able to extract from the system is the overall long term fuel consumption figure.

That graph which is revealed in the long term history is so vague as be as useful as the proverbial ashtray on a motorcycle.

I'm less bothered about results for individual journeys.

JimB

Back