Killing acoustic vehicle alerting system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancake

From the moment I have started using the "turning off button" of the AVAS, I very much dislike the fact that the car is (after every trip) making more noise than is should as a default setting (as with a lot of things, don't get me started).

Anyway, is it possible to disable it, permanently? Where do I have to hit the car with a hammer?

I always used to think that my hearing was very good, but I must be wrong - I can't hear the AVAS from inside the car at all. I had to ask my wife to drive slowly past me before I could detect it at all!

In the beginning I also disabled the AVAS system every time i drove the car. After a few incidents where I noticed I scared some pedestrians (and me) that stepped out into the road without looking I now always use the AVAS system. I can't hear it inside the car anyways.

I am not very much in favour of switching off a feature that has an obvious safety benefit, i.e. killing fewer pedestrians.

On the uk rhd model it can be disabled by removing the electrical connector from a small silver box located above the passenger side footwell.

Oooh... Does the little silver box contain the sound file?

I'd still love to replace "The PHEV sound" with the bass line from "the Dr Who theme"

I admit that would probably be annoying, but it would be great to be able to switch that on from time to time.

jkh112 said:
On the uk rhd model it can be disabled by removing the electrical connector from a small silver box located above the passenger side footwell.

Thanks! I will try that soon!

When I had my demo car, I found the AVAS uncomfortable and distracting to listen to. Like finger nails being pulled down a blackboard ...

I hit the 'off' button every time, except when in a car park or near a build up of peds.

As a frequent pedestrian myself it amazes me the number of peds that cross a junction without looking behind them ... it's not like push bikes don't make a noise :roll:

SolarBoy said:
When I had my demo car, I found the AVAS uncomfortable and distracting to listen to. Like finger nails being pulled down a blackboard ...

I hit the 'off' button every time, except when in a car park or near a build up of peds.

As a frequent pedestrian myself it amazes me the number of peds that cross a junction without looking behind them ... it's not like push bikes don't make a noise :roll:

They almost deserve to be run over. :eek:

No, It's really that I drive a lot on a slow pace and the noise is - indeed - terrible once you are "tuned in" to it...

jkh112 said:
Thanks, jkh112, another annoying noise silenced for good! Only about another ten to go! If you step in the road without looking, you deserve to get run down - by anything. :eek:

I automatically switch it off already - it is part of my startinf routine. Push brakes-push start-disable AVAS. Indeed, once you get annoyed by it, you can't ignore it anymore...

I remember my dealer told me they can overwrite the default sound...

Anyway, I start the engine when I need to warn people (press charge) - the AVAS only starts warning as soon as you start driving - someone passing behind or in front of your car just when you're about to pull up happens a lot to me, since people aren't aware that your car has already been started

I recently drove past some pedestrians, and they looked at me in a way like "how dare you drive past and I can't hear you". AVAS was ON. My PHEV makes the noise when in Neutral, but not in drive. AC fans make a fair bit of noise to.

Ahh - one of the advantages of getting old. I can't hear the AVAS when I'm in the car with my reduced hearing capacity. :lol:

I always reckon i have pretty good hearing ( i can certainly tell if a CRT monitor or old fashioned telly is still switched on somewhere in a house) but i can barely tell if the noise generator is on or not. Seems to be that pedestrian safety in whatever form should be paramount.

simonrh said:
I always reckon i have pretty good hearing ( i can certainly tell if a CRT monitor or old fashioned telly is still switched on somewhere in a house) but i can barely tell if the noise generator is on or not. Seems to be that pedestrian safety in whatever form should be paramount.

I agree. It is entirely natural for pedestrians to use their hearing along with their sight (assuming they are not visually impaired) to judge traffic conditions. Therefore I'm amazed there is even the option to switch the noise off. If there is the slightest chance that it helps to avoid an accident it should be left on. I think it should be louder!

When I was at school (many, many, many years ago!). The Highway code said, amongst other things, "At the kerb halt, look right, look left, look right again. If all clear, cross, keep looking right and left as you go". Never mentioned stepping straight into the road without looking, if you couldn't hear anything. And that was before half the population had earphones glued into their ears! ;)

greendwarf said:
Ahh - one of the advantages of getting old. I can't hear the AVAS when I'm in the car with my reduced hearing capacity. :lol:

I reckon my hearing is pretty good, but I still had to get my wife to drive past me before I was able to hear it

Regulo said:
When I was at school (many, many, many years ago!). The Highway code said, amongst other things, "At the kerb halt, look right, look left, look right again. If all clear, cross, keep looking right and left as you go". Never mentioned stepping straight into the road without looking, if you couldn't hear anything. And that was before half the population had earphones glued into their ears! ;)

...and the Green Cross Code man said "Stop, Look, Listen!"

It's a stupid argument. If it makes pedestrians safer it's a good thing and of course, some people don't have the benefit of sight.

Back