Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel usage
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 am 

Hi All
I,m a new Phev Driver only having got it this week , love it but i have a question, I cannot seem to find an answer to. My run to work and back is 20 miles , 10 each way, I charge up over night and at work so only need use the EV mode which has been leaving the battery at about half depleted each way.
However my fuel gauge and range has dropped as well at about the same rate as my battery range, having now over 4 days dropped by 80 miles on fuel range, having only driven 80 miles in what i believe is EV mode . I am just pushing the EV button and driving?
All I'm doing is starting the car, pressing the EV button driving to work 10 Miles turning off , Charging at work pressing the EV Button driving home 10 miles in what i believe is EV mode. What am i doing wrong, because ive used a 1/4 of a tank of fuel in EV mode.

Post subject: Re: Fuel usage
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 am 

Has the actual fuel gauge shown a reduction or just the predicted mileage? And have you actually heard the engine running? Finally what does the fuel consumption screen show - if you have been in all EV mode then it will show 100%

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:14 am 

Greendwarf
The gauge and the predicted has gone down. I haven't heard the engine and Av fuel consumption is at 46Mpg . Seems very strange, or perhaps 5 days is just too short a time to get a true reading

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:27 am 

Welcome!

Have you had the heating on, what is the external temp and if the car is 2nd hand have you checked there are no pre-heating timers set?
Cheers
H

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:15 pm 

No, no - the OP is actually using fuel but why press the EV button on starting? Surely EV is the default, so pressing it would suggest turning it off and hence running with the ICE and using fuel. :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:44 pm 

bubbles wrote:
Hi All
I,m a new Phev Driver only having got it this week , love it but i have a question, I cannot seem to find an answer to. My run to work and back is 20 miles , 10 each way, I charge up over night and at work so only need use the EV mode which has been leaving the battery at about half depleted each way.
However my fuel gauge and range has dropped as well at about the same rate as my battery range, having now over 4 days dropped by 80 miles on fuel range, having only driven 80 miles in what i believe is EV mode . I am just pushing the EV button and driving?
All I'm doing is starting the car, pressing the EV button driving to work 10 Miles turning off , Charging at work pressing the EV Button driving home 10 miles in what i believe is EV mode. What am i doing wrong, because ive used a 1/4 of a tank of fuel in EV mode.

Are you using the Heater or the Air Conditioner during your Drive? If you are and the Heat/Cool System is on when you start the car then the Engine will start and continue to run till the set point is reached.

To run on EV Mode you need to have the Heat/Cool System <off> before you start the Car. Click on the EV Button and you will be in EV Mode only untill your Battery is low then Engine may kick in.

Look at your Manual, Page 5-142 Does the Display look like this (shows the flow of Energy) or does it display the EV Cruising range display/Total cruising range as shown on page 5-140.

To change the Screens you need to press the Multi-information Switch as shown on page 5-132 to choose the various displays shown on page 5-135.

Once you give us a bit more information, I am sure someone will be able to assist you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:41 am 

Does your car have an electric heater? If not it is bound to use fuel when you use the heater.

If it does, I believe it may still do so, even in ev mode. But, driving an older model without ev mode, I am not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:31 am 

bubbles wrote:
Hi All

You say that the ICE isn't cutting in, are you sure, I find it difficult to tell if the ICE is running.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:37 am 

outlander660 wrote:
bubbles wrote:
Hi All

You say that the ICE isn't cutting in, are you sure, I find it difficult to tell if the ICE is running.

OP reports drop in fuel gauge and 46% EV - so must be running the ICE - nobody has replied yet as to whether current model defaults to EV on starting, so that pressing the EV button actually turns OFF EV mode!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:00 pm 

Just picked up my 2018 GT Model last week.

It does have Electric heating and defrost as it can be remotely turned on.

With temps below -5'C with the heat turned off. I turn on car. Press Econo mode and Ev. The engine does start for about a minute then turns itself on and I can drive in EV Mode. Elect heater can be turned and continues on EV mode. Battery drains very quickly and my elect range drops by 10 Kms.

If heater is on before I turn on car. Engine starts and continues to run even when EV mode is on until interior temp reaches set point. Then drops to EV Mode.

Today was -22'C. No matter what I tried the Engine started and stayed on. After a few minutes I turned off vehicle. Turned off heater. Turned car on, pressed EV and stayed in EV even after I turned Heater on.

So looks like low temperature seems to determine when Engine kicks in

greendwarf wrote:
outlander660 wrote:
bubbles wrote:
Hi All

OP reports drop in fuel gauge and 46% EV - so must be running the ICE - nobody has replied yet as to whether current model defaults to EV on starting, so that pressing the EV button actually turns OFF EV mode!