PHEV Remote App and Android 6.0

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

After a lot of frustration I emailed the Mitsubishi app support people;

[email protected]

And received a very comprehensive reply from Japan, part of which related to Android 6.0 os. The app had worked with the previous version of Android but didn't after the upgrade to 6.0. The key to the instructions, hopefully shown below, is not to input the car's wifi passcode on the page where it is demanded. If the app has already been installed, or reinstalled, having previously worked, the phone retains the passcode in memory but if you input it again when prompted it causes some sort of electronic confusion. Anyway, following these instructions my phone reconnected first time.

So if you have been having problems after getting Android 6.0 chances are it will help you too.

JimB

Claymore said:
After a lot of frustration I emailed the Mitsubishi app support people;

[email protected]

And received a very comprehensive reply from Japan, part of which related to Android 6.0 os. The app had worked with the previous version of Android but didn't after the upgrade to 6.0. The key to the instructions, hopefully shown below, is not to input the car's wifi passcode on the page where it is demanded. If the app has already been installed, or reinstalled, having previously worked, the phone retains the passcode in memory but if you input it again when prompted it causes some sort of electronic confusion. Anyway, following these instructions my phone reconnected first time.

So if you have been having problems after getting Android 6.0 chances are it will help you too.

JimB
I just got a new phone with Android 6.0. Without this info I would have got really confused about the phone Wifi behaviour. Thanks for spreading this! :)

Thanks so much. Just upgraded to Marshmallow and it was driving me crazy until I found your post.

In view of Mitsubishi security flaw and their website warning http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/remote-app.aspx I wasn't planning to use the app yet but I'm on Marshmallow too so good to know :cool:

Does anyone know how long the fix is likely to take as I'm looking forward to preheating when cold weather arrives soon :?

The security flaw was over-blown by the press (IMHO) as it was released just about the same time as a security conference.

Here is the article in question -

https://www.pentestpartners.com/blog/hacking-the-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-hybrid-suv/

The hack is not simple nor something, I believe, Johnny next door could reasonably do.

But, as far as I am concerned, their "shocking news" was that they could turn the alarm off (they did this by sitting in the locked car, very still, and then turning the alarm off and waving their arms about to prove it was turned off). The car is still locked. They cannot, it would seem, unlock the car or bypass the immobiliser. They would be able to turn the alarm off, smash a window to get in and then, maybe, reprogram a key via the OBD port.

OK, so is this worse than any other car? If you hear a car alarm, do you rush out into the street or do you think "bugger, not that alarm again" ??

If a thief wants your car, it will be taken. The "PHEV Security Flaw" is something that can happen to any high(ish) thechnology - look at the recent iPhone hole that security services were using to inject access for monitoring. It made the tech/phone press, but not the "Nationals" and, bearing in mind privacy issues and the millions of iPhones out there, surely the iPhone hack was far more reaching than the prospect of someone turning your headlights on. (Apple fixed the hole within hours of it being discovered).

Just my two-penneth worth.

Jeff

Your reply makes perfect sense :cool:

I'm aware of high tech security flaws from LR ownership and the associated forums - I know owners who have suffered the relay attack with keyless - I have a Faraday pouch for my smart keys to protect against this and presume it is relevant to phev too - I had a disklok for RRS but they don't make one that fits Discovery Sport - was thinking if I need one for phev but undecided :?

I bought one of these when I park in a multi-story.

Jeff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0187DN0AI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51%2Bt7iIilaL.jpg

jthspace said:
I bought one of these when I park in a multi-story.

Jeff

Just out of interest, your post further up said "If a thief wants your car, it will be taken". Why then do you feel the need to go to the extent of putting that lock on when you are in a car park ?

If someone smashes your window and steals the contents of your car then that lock does nothing, and if they don't have your keys then they can't drive the car away anyway so the lock seems kind of pointless ? Or am I missing something ??

I totally agree with your comments about the WiFi hack by the way, completely overblown by the media and it hasn't stopped me from using the remote app.

I think the idea with any security device on car, home etc. is to deter the casual and opportunistic by making anything they want to do more difficult so as to go "next door", where it seems easier. As said, if someone really wants your particular car they'll take no matter what you do but most crime, of any type, is not planned.

Exactly, it's just a visual deterrent, like the nighttime intruder lights at home - my house gets lit up if someone comes in the drive. Next door is dark; next door is more attractive to the guttersnipe. Simples.

Fair enough, just not something that I would be bothered with the hassle of. Fine for an automatic light to come on and off, but IMHO life is too short to mess about setting up stuff like that every time I go to a car park.

I agree it's a pita Geoff and I probably won't bother as Mitsubishi is insured and easily replaced although inconvenient sorting - I know Land Rovers are being stolen to order by organised gangs but are phev targeted? I've not heard anything apart from the WiFi hack story :?

I used the disklok on MY13 rrsport because it was discontinued and a replacement wasn't available - I also tried one on current Discovery Sport because I waited 6 months for delivery but it didn't fit anyway :roll:

The Faraday pouch for key was £3 so not expensive although again pita getting key out in rain instead of just opening door - will probably not bother with Mitsubishi unless I'm at home and it's parked up

Returning to the main thread of this topic, after following Mitsubishi's advice and cancelling the VIN registration on both our phones and in the absence of any updates on the horizon I decided to re-register my phone (Android 6.0) in light of the rapid approach of colder weather.

After spending the morning on this, I won't bore you with the details but give you the main problem and the solution.

I was unable to follow the procedure given in the initial post as the wi-fi module in the car had gone to sleep.

So I used my wife's i-phone first to re-register, this wakened the wi-fi module and then the procedure with my Android 6.0 could now be followed and it worked first time!

This does of course beg the question, what if you only have access to an Android 6.0 phone?

I cannot thank Claymore enough for the initial post. I've downloaded and printed a copy of the reply from Mitsu and filed it beside the SSID and password so I don't waste so much time should I be in this situation again.

nernm said:
Returning to the main thread of this topic......................................

I cannot thank Claymore enough for the initial post. I've downloaded and printed a copy of the reply from Mitsu and filed it beside the SSID and password so I don't waste so much time should I be in this situation again.

Thanks for getting the thread back on track nernm.

Glad you've got it sorted.

Always pleased for an excuse for another wee swally....slange!

JimB

anko said:
Why the bounce? There is not an unanswered question in this post, is there?

It is a goody though. Was a major PITA to connect until I found this thread. If there was sticky's here it should be one :)

Back