Suspension lift of the PHEV??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steepndeep

As has been mentioned in a number of posts the PHEV is not an offroader, which I am well aware of and accepts. Now with the recent snowfalls in Sweden I have finaly noticed how really low the car is. I have googled on liftkits for the car but have found nothing. I am not looking at anything advanced like a complete lift-kit, rather only replacing the stock springs with stronger (too cope with heavy load) and longer ones to lift the car 2-4 cm when empty.

http://www.mad-vertrieb.de/niveaufedern2/mitsubishi/outlander/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-baujahr-0713.html

have stronger springs for the rear suspension but they do not lift the car when empty (well they do by maybe 0,5-1 cm because they are stronger) but I would like to have 2-4 cm on both front and rear suspension. Anyone having any top tips?

the PHEV rally cars used in a few videos had some suspension work, i couldnt see them racing using stock suspension. though no idea where you would get the work done or buy the parts.

This article identifies Vaison Sport in France involved in the rally car preparation

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/how-go-rallying-mitsubishi-outlander-phev

We can modify the lifters we make for Ferrari and Lamborghini for your PHEV if you want!
You will get a great Product, but maby "Little" expensive?

Martin
Öhlins Racing AB

MartinH said:
We can modify the lifters we make for Ferrari and Lamborghini for your PHEV if you want!

Martin
Öhlins Racing AB

I've never been called expensive before! :)

maby said:
MartinH said:

Martin
Öhlins Racing AB

I've never been called expensive before! :)

:lol:

Well played Sir, well played.

Anyone in the Netherlands having any experience of this company?

http://en.intraxracing.nl/nieuws/2016/mitsubishi-outlander/

Or maybe I shall contact Martin at Öhlins Racing. If I cover my car in Öhlins banners, can you give me a discount? ;)

The Dutch version of that page says some of their customers actually complained about motion sickness ... After reading everything on this and the Dutch forum for more than 3 years, I thought I had heard all the complaints people had about this car. To me it sounds like they are creating a problem for their solution ;)

Doesn't say anything about their shocks, of course ;)

yes, a little extra clearance will be good, got bogged here, see the flat spot in the shadow from the tree mid way up on the right.. we were doing ok, all good until the car slipped into the ruts and got hung up on the battery, which made the flat area in the sand... (it sand was deeper than the image shows)

i-C3S94Lf-X3.jpg

Steepndeep said:
Anyone in the Netherlands having any experience of this company?

http://en.intraxracing.nl/nieuws/2016/mitsubishi-outlander/

Or maybe I shall contact Martin at Öhlins Racing. If I cover my car in Öhlins banners, can you give me a discount? ;)
"Tends to roll a lot on cornering"??? That is a new one to me... Well, yes, compared to a low-slung Porsche, I suppose :roll:

ultralights said:
yes, a little extra clearance will be good, got bogged here, see the flat spot in the shadow from the tree mid way up on the right.. we were doing ok, all good until the car slipped into the ruts and got hung up on the battery, which made the flat area in the sand... (it sand was deeper than the image shows)

i-C3S94Lf-X3.jpg

I can't see your "attached" picture ...

Yes ideally it will be nice to have extra clearance ... but not for every day driving, only when "needed" ... so something like the air suspension in the Maserati SUV, which has ~ 10cm of adjustable extra clearance

Possibly some parts producer may have something available with "remote control" of clearance , but I guess is not going to be cheap for sure

As for "everyday", clearance and stiffness in the Outlander, is quite fine for me ... maybe they could have go for couple of extra CM of clearance ..

elm70 said:
Yes ideally it will be nice to have extra clearance ... but not for every day driving, only when "needed" ... so something like the air suspension in the Maserati SUV, which has ~ 10cm of adjustable extra clearance

Possibly some parts producer may have something available with "remote control" of clearance , but I guess is not going to be cheap for sure
Yes, that exists. Spax RSX adjustable shocks. Both stiffness and ride height are ajustable.

Spax rsx are adjustable but without remote control

What is nice it is to press a button and change car clearance, like Maserati SUV and other (normally expensive) car/suv can do

Just got an email from intrax racing. Looks like good products but price is 2400 Euros so I will pass. And they do not lift the car. I do not think I will convert the Outlander to a "racing suspension". Maybe Öhlins can do something at lower price?? ;)

I had one lifter on my desk, I can modify for my PHEV, but i also have to call Ferrari to get the hydraulic pump and Electronics, might be Little expensive!

Are there any differences between a "normal" Outlander' and the PHEV's suspension? Are there any other technical reasons why a PHEV can't be lifted?

https://www.4x4styling.com/Lift-springs-30mm-for-rear-Mitsubishi-Outlander-2WD-4WD-My-0812

would lift the rear by 30mm.

Is anyone aware why

https://www.4x4styling.com/Auxiliary-Springs-Suspension-Lift-Kit-front-25-rear-30mm-Mitsubishi-Outlander-Type-GFO-2WD-4WD-By-0912-Not-for-PHEV-hybrid-model

explicitly excludes PHEVs? Would the front McPherson shock not allow the extension of a lift?

simons said:
Are there any differences between a "normal" Outlander' and the PHEV's suspension? Are there any other technical reasons why a PHEV can't be lifted?

https://www.4x4styling.com/Lift-springs-30mm-for-rear-Mitsubishi-Outlander-2WD-4WD-My-0812

would lift the rear by 30mm.

Is anyone aware why

https://www.4x4styling.com/Auxiliary-Springs-Suspension-Lift-Kit-front-25-rear-30mm-Mitsubishi-Outlander-Type-GFO-2WD-4WD-By-0912-Not-for-PHEV-hybrid-model

explicitly excludes PHEVs? Would the front McPherson shock not allow the extension of a lift?

It's not only a question of suspension, is it? Lifting the car will also impact on the transmission - increasing the articulation of drive shafts and universal joints - and the transmission of a PHEV does differ significantly from that of a regular Outlander.

I crawled under the unloaded car and took a few pictures for my understanding. I am completely ignorant about cars and know nothing about suspensions and drive shaft arrangements. So please excuse my vocabulary.

The picture shows the rear left suspension and drive shaft. There were three rubber boots on the rear left shaft.

Rear%20left%20suspension%20annotated.jpg

One at the electric motor

Motor%20joint.jpg

A rubber boot in the middle of the shaft

Middle%20joint.jpg

And one at the hub

Hub%20joint.jpg

I am interested in changing the spring because of the following. We used the PHEV on our camping trip. The rear suspension sagged by around 4 - 5 cm when loaded (no trailer, only hiking tents). This reduced the already low clearance of the PHEV and together with the soft rear suspension it didn't make me feel comfortable driving over humps. It would be great to counter the sagging by having a firmer rear suspension and possibly a small lift (30mm?) to increase clearance. So the question is: would a lift of 30mm have a damaging effect on the joints?

On another note: is the amount of rust normal for a one year old car? The protection appears minimal.

simons said:
I crawled under the unloaded car and took a few pictures for my understanding. I am completely ignorant about cars and know nothing about suspensions and drive shaft arrangements. So please excuse my vocabulary.
On another note: is the amount of rust normal for a one year old car? The protection appears minimal.

I was thinking that as I viewed your pictures! I would have expected a lot more paint and/or underseal on the car - this does not bode well for life expectancy...

Back