Annoying beeps with ACC

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hampshirebob

I have had my new Outlander PHEV for about 10 weeks and overall I love it! However, the ACC beeps when a car in front comes into range and also when it goes out of range. This means that when following a car doing the same speed as me the car in front moves in and out of range constantly meaning a continuous stream of beeps. This is annoying for me but drives my passengers mad! Mitsubishi technical department suggested switching off the ACC but this is like suggesting reducing tyre wear by not driving the car! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hampshirebob said:
I have had my new Outlander PHEV for about 10 weeks and overall I love it! However, the ACC beeps when a car in front comes into range and also when it goes out of range. This means that when following a car doing the same speed as me the car in front moves in and out of range constantly meaning a continuous stream of beeps. This is annoying for me but drives my passengers mad! Mitsubishi technical department suggested switching off the ACC but this is like suggesting reducing tyre wear by not driving the car! Does anyone have any suggestions?

It drives me mad.

It drives my wife mad.

It drives my children mad.

Solution, no I don't have one without either breaking the speed limit or reducing speed.

How about try either the standard cruise control, or try the speed limiter instead of ACC?

Standard cruise control is activated by holding down the ACC button for several seconds.

I really wanted ACC having had it on my last few cars, but got a great deal on a 4H so decided to go without (I'd also been warned off because of the silly noises from LDW !).
Coping fine without it as I'm not commuting any more, and rather glad now based on these reports.
Loving the car though :D

I am slightly puzzled. My ACC only beeps when it loses the car in front, which is quite useful as it warns of a possible accelleration surge.
No beep on aquiring a contact. It is certainly not a flood of beeps.

Similarly with LDW. It was a great annoyance in the first couple of months, but one learns to keep one's lane and always tap-indicate before crossing a line instinctively. -Which, BTW, increases road-awareness.-
With confusing road lines it is easily switched off. Nowadays I drive more precisely and it hardly ever beeps.

The same again with the electric boot door. Used properly one can avoid beeping. It will not beep when opened with the door button on a locked car, nor will it do so when operated manually (double press on the door button to open and simply push shut) On the Dutch forum people were killing the buzzer - silly.

UPDATE

Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions. I have booked my car in to my dealer next Monday for them to check if there is a problem. I will post the result here. Assuming that this is simply a 'feature' of Mitsubishi's ACC I will try reverting to standard cruise control although ACC is very useful and it seems a pity not to use it. I had ACC on my previous car, a Golf GT, and this worked fine without any beeps. On other forums I have seen detailed descriptions of how to disable the beeps but this seems very silly as some of the beeps are very useful. Thanks again to you all.

Has anyone determined where the ACC beep is coming from, is it the standard MMCS audio speakers? If not, maybe the source can be tracked down and "muted" somewhat.

Having said that, apart from my wife occasionally commenting "what was that", the ACC beep does not seem too intrusive. Its probably because the road noise here in Australia is so much higher it drowns out the beeps, or I'm going deaf.

It annoying, frustrating and totally unnecessary that the car beeps when it loses the car in front of you.
No other car, all European, I've had before has done this. At least, make it an option in the settings menu.
I went to a Mitsubishi dealer last Friday and we connected the computer to see what we could change. Unfortunately there was NOTHING we could change that not changeable from the car interface.

But it's not only the ACC beeping that make me almost regret getting an Outlander PHEV. I'm missing so many settings that I'm use to have that aren't there.
I guess I have to try to ignore them for the next three years before I will change car again. And the next one will not be a Mitsubishi...

The beeps are not crazy. They warn you that the car may exhibit a sudden (possibly unwanted, potentially dangerous) surge of acceleration when it loses radar contact with the car in front, as I said before. This happens, for instance, on roundabouts and on motorway exits.
This is the reason that they cannot be switched off.
You may even have insurance trouble if you disable them somehow and are involved in a collision..

I have had ACC in my three previous cars and none of then have the beep when loses sight of car in front of you, and I have never been surprised that the car speeds up to the speed I've set the ACC to.
When driving in traffic here in Stockholm the car beeps like a pinball table when cars move in and out in front of my.

They should have an option to turn off the beep for people that don't need to be reminded that ACC is activated. Mitshubishi is the only car I've been in that have the beep.

I rather doubt whether ACC -or any cruise control for that matter- is meant to be used in city traffic. For instance if the car in front swerves the ACC will attempt to speed into the gap. Having to hit the brake when coming to a full stop automatically is no joke either. i see a beep-less ACC as a design failure.

So simply switch it off within city limits - with or without beep, it makes driving in town a lot easier.
Actually a rather nice city setting is B5, it turns the car into a one-pedal control with the brake only needed for a full stop or hard braking.

It's a three lane 80km/h highway that goes through Stockholm so it's perfect for ACC.
As I said, my three previous cars with ACC have worked perfect and I use the ACC all the time. It's perfect for slow moving situation as well as highway drives.

The ACC in the Outlander works fine but the beeps are, to me, crazy annoying.
Also the beeps the car makes when adjusting the set speed in jumps of 5km/h.
Someone at Mitsubishi must really love beeps.

Actually in general Japanese cars have more beeps than European ones. You get used to it to the extent of missing them.

I certainly you hope so because now I almost regret getting the PHEV.
It's not only because of the ACC beeps but a lot of stupid decisions from Mitsubishi that most European cars handles so much better.

My last car was a Skoda Octavia MY14 and now with my Outlander 2017 it feels like going back in time in terms of functions and design of things.

Interesting I came from Jaguar and almost everything felt like getting from a sailing boat into Enterprise, with the luxury replaced by utilitarianism. These things are so personal. I find a Renault Megane almost impossible to use, for instance. And don't start me on Opel....

It's funny how different we humans are, and that's a good thing. :)

Last cars have been Volvos and Skodas and they are much more "though through" in terms and design and customizable features.

We can't even select if the skip button on the steering wheel should jump to next preset station or next station in the station list when listening to the radio.
In Volvos and Skoda (all VWs) you can set up your car very much to your own likings. With the PEHV you have to agree with a Japanese designer otherwise your screwed.

Auto lock doors when driving away is another thing that all my previous cars have had a setting for so you can decide for yourself if you want it or not. Not this one though...
Why can't I chose to have auto hold on by default and the same with the Eco button? I can't select the default ACC distance which I could in my Volvo and Skodas.
There is no good last trip page where I can see data like driving distance, consumtions, time etc. All in one page. I used that a lot when doing business trips.

As I said. It's the little things that leave a sour taste right now. But I hope that I will get use to the PHEV, as you said, and start to really like the car in a month or two.

I do love the PHEV concept though and the Rockford Fosgate sound system sound really good. The best car sound system I have ever had so far.

:?: My ACC has three distances selectable . Other things you can set up in the menus of the MMCS, abeit some things like several button defaults not. I admit that the manual is not the clearest ever written, but it does pay to read through it.

Yes, but you can't choose to have ex. the nerest ACC distance as default. In my previous cars I could chose what distance (out of five) that always should be selected when activating the ACC.

Back