Average fuel consumption frustration!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzboy

Well I now have my shiny red Outlander and it's great - smooth, quite fast, refined, quiet, well appointed etc.

One thing is annoying me though - on my old car (RAV4) the average mpg can be displayed and it just keeps a running average without resetting itself. This is useful to give you an idea of your overall average mpg. On the Outlander though the damn display keeps resetting to zero every time the car is left for more than 4 hours. I found it has a manual reset mode, which I have tried selecting, BUT every time you switch off/on it changes itself back to auto mode, and hence will then reset itself when you leave the car! Why on earth could they not have made it stay in manual reset mode? Aghhhhh!

Peter

You need to set it to manual. That will show total consumption from whenever it was reset last. Therefore having reset it...leave it alone.

Unfortunately it reverts to auto every start-up which is really annoying as daily consumption is not what I want to see but consumption over a longer period. Mine hasn't been reset since last year and is currently showing around 70mpg for all driving, local and long distance, when I select manual.

To get to the manual button I go from the Map page to EV to Trip and it's there. Press 'Manual' to select the Manual mode.

I found this confusing at first as well, because on the screen it will say ‘Manual’ at the bottom left, and ‘Auto Mode’ at the top right (and vice versa). The display at top right tells you what mode you are currently looking at, and the word in the bottom right is actually a button that you press to activate the alternative mode, so if you press it you should see the ‘Manual’ and ‘Auto’ swap round.

The ‘Auto’ resets after a 4 hour stop, but ‘Manual’ keeps going until you reset it.

So, make sure that ‘Manual Mode’ is showing top right and whatever it then displays is your average mpg since it was last reset (by pressing the reset button whilst manual mode was being displayed).

I use an app, spritmonitor, enter every refuling, takes 10 sec, and then you have all data you want, and also date when last refuled so you can see when it closes into the 3 months and you will get the "Burning old fuel" mode.

Hi All,
First post on the forum and I appear to have same issue as Peter in that even if I set the system to manual it always rests to auto on power down. Yoy can change the setting either on the MMCS or the "dashboard" menu and it doesn't appear to make any difference once you have powered off??
Regards,
Bob

BobTC said:
Hi All,
First post on the forum and I appear to have same issue as Peter in that even if I set the system to manual it always rests to auto on power down. Yoy can change the setting either on the MMCS or the "dashboard" menu and it doesn't appear to make any difference once you have powered off??
Regards,
Bob

Must admit I’ve never actually paid attention to which screen (i.e Manual or Auto) is displayed first on start up, but if it always defaults to ‘Auto’ then all you need to do is press the ‘Manual’ button in the bottom left of the MMCS screen. This will then show you your overall mpg from when you last chose to reset the ‘Manual’ calculation.

I think if you use the reset your "trip A" or "trip B" using that button that looks like a playing card, then you can see your average mpg for that trip.

Thanks for the replies but my issue is that even if I have set the Avg mpg to manual after switching "engine" off when I restart the option has gone back to auto so I only get the avg mpg for a single trip with stops of less than 4hrs.
Cheers,
Bob

mpg ... as far as I know is always visible inside "info" and TRIP .. then I select ECO ...

I don't think it is possible to select if should be shown the MANUAL or AUTO page .. by default is showing the last and current user, and as state before this get reset after 4h ... but some fields like % of EV usage do stay over 8h :shock:

Anyhow ... just click on the AUTO-MANUAL and you see the average

For reset the average is needed to reset on this page .. the A trip and B trip counters are totally independent

Learnt a little more. The Avg mpg display on the screen between the two main dials always resets after charging but does not rest automatically if car switched off for more than 4hrs if you have not put the car on charge.
Cheers all,

BobTC said:
Learnt a little more. The Avg mpg display on the screen between the two main dials always resets after charging but does not rest automatically if car switched off for more than 4hrs if you have not put the car on charge.
Cheers all,

Dont think thats correct, the Auto calculation always resets after 4 hours, and the Manual only resets when you physically press the button yourself to reset it.

As far as I know, it makes no difference at all whether or not you are charging the car, its entirely based on the 4 hours. I have definitely had it parked up for more than 4 hours without recharging, and the Auto calculation has always reset in that scenario.

Back