My 2014 PHEV will not start? Key problem?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibbzen

Hi,

I have had this problem for some time. I have the key in the key holder in the dashboard and press the start button to start the car, but it does not start. The ready "sign" does not light up but the information screen tell me to press the brake, shift it to Park and press start (see photo). I do all this things and the car turns off! This problem only occurs for one of two keys that I have. So I assume it is a the key not the car.

I have taken it to the dealership 3 times and they say that they have fixed it but nothing changes when I try it. I even tried it right after they handed the car to me for the 2nd time and I gave the key that works to my wife and I went to the parking lot with the "broken" key and the problem popped right up on first try! I got furious! :evil: They just told me that they tried it and it worked perfectly and no error popped up on their diagnostic computer bla bla bla. So they took it for the 3rd time and went through a much deeper diagnostic methods and something. Even after the 3rd time it still pops up, they say that they have restarted some things in the car(don't know the technical term) and corrected some errors. I changed the batteries and nothing. The warranty is still active until may, so i'm going to press them to fix it!

Sorry for the rant :)

Hopefully the photos work...if not it is the top picture in the manual on page 6-33

Anyone have this problem or anyone have any ides for a solution?
PHEV_error.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kk2p2oqh209pc8/PHEV_error.jpg?dl=0

It would seem the easiest solution could be to press them to supply a new key.

As far as getting it done under warranty, make sure you get some written proof from the Mitsubishi dealer that states the fault that you have reported and the date that you informed the dealer, even if the fault takes until after may to rectify Mitsubishi should still honour the warranty. But like all companies, they will try and wriggle out of paying if they can.

Just to clarify one point, do you hand both keys to the dealer when you let them have the car? because if they have both together when checking then the fully functioning key could be overriding and masking the problem key.

I have never used the key slot. When I get in the car I have the key in my trouser pocket. I sit in the drivers seat, foot pressing the brake and press the start button. It turns blue then after a second the car is ready to go.

CJ

The key slot is passive, it is just as spot close to the sensor. So there is no real reason to use it. I am quite puzzled by your dealer. Why go fiddling with the car and losing time and money when the obvious thing to do is to order a new key under guaranty?

Ours occasionally doesn't start first time...usually because the foot brake has not been pressed adequately!

To be clear, you must press (and hold down) the foot brake before attempting to "start" the car.

If you don't the car goes into accessory mode.

If you then press and hold down the brake, and press "start" again, the car goes into ready mode.

If you are doing these things, I'd suggest the fault is probably in the sensor that detects that the brake pedal is being pressed down.

thanks for all of your replies. I took the car to the dealer and they made a new key. I just tried it now and it did not work!!! :evil:

I´m going to see their reports and see what they did, as it is clearly not working. They probably just copied the broken key to the new key. This is quite annoying and frustrating!

I´m going to contact them again....

Hi,

I was reading this since we seem to have this same problem in our 2014 PHEV, randomly not starting. It would be nice to hear if you have got any solution for the problem, if not the key? Thanks!

Two things - the key contains a battery, which should be exchanged every second year, probably not applicable here, and the key code must be matched to the vehicle. They may have, as remarked above, not have done so, just copied the corrupted code. The best would be to recode both keys.

I've had this issue and I believe it's to do with a combination of a less than sensitive brake sensor and the starting up procedure. The times it's happened have been when I have started the car without using the brake pedal (to open windows when hot or to put the radio on), and then have tried to shift into drive after some time. By doing so I used up the reserve brake vacuum, and then when I tried to restart I couldn't depress the brake pedal far enough. The solution I found was you have to really stomp on the brake pedal, and I mean REALLY stomp, two feet as hard as possible and hold it for some time. This then sets off the vacuum pump and allows you to shift into drive.

You won't run out of brake vacuum. That little motor you can hear running in the car when stationary is the electric pump that creates the vacuum.

jaapv said:
You won't run out of brake vacuum. That little motor you can hear running in the car when stationary is the electric pump that creates the vacuum.

Yes, but in my experience you have to depress the brake lever beyond a certain distance to actually get the pump to activate. When I had the issue, the pump did not automatically kick in on start up, only when I really forced the brake pedal. It's similar to the power steering pump, which is only activated when you are actively turning the wheel.

I think the pump reacts to the level of vacuum. If you press the brake pedal repeatedly before starting the car up, it will activate the pump without touching the brake pedal.

Hi,
I am experiencing this problem in my 2014 PHEV. Twice it has also shown the ACC service required that disappears when after some attempts to get the ready state I finally managed to get the ready state.

How did you solve the problem?

Is your car fitted with an Cobra alarm? Most likely you hav a round button with a red led on the dash?
They cause this problem frequently. I had a 2014 with such a system.

Try if the problem still exists when you leave your (and any other) mobile phone away from the car.
Mobile phones can interfere with the key signal.

unlockstra said:
Is your car fitted with an Cobra alarm? Most likely you hav a round button with a red led on the dash?
They cause this problem frequently. I had a 2014 with such a system.
A well known Cobra problem. Either wait for the beep that indicates the Cobra is deactivated or push the button on you8rv driver card.

Back