Open J1772 plug on standard charge cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anko

Any suggestions on how to open the J1772 (car side) plug on the factory supplied 10 amps charge cable, in such way that it can be properly closed again? Doesn't have to look as new, but should work and be safe ;-)

Thanks.

Which project are you about to start ?

PS: No idea how to , I'm not much interested on the J1772 ... much more funny would be to "hack" Chademo control signal .This would open more possible doors

elm70 said:
Which project are you about to start ?
I am looking into building a dual charger, with load balancing and timesharing capabilities, using a Raspberry PI that I have laying around :lol:

In theory, I am at a point where I can see whether cars are connected and/or charging and generate the two separate pilot pulses (dividing available power between them). But in order to see if it works well, I would have to interrupt the pilot pin of an existing charger (between control box and J1772 plug) and insert my own signal. But I don't want to cut the cable ;-)

anko said:
I am looking into building a dual charger, with load balancing and timesharing capabilities, using a Raspberry PI that I have laying around :lol:

In theory, I am at a point where I can see whether cars are connected and/or charging and generate the two separate pilot pulses (dividing available power between them). But in order to see if it works well, I would have to interrupt the pilot pin of an existing charger (between control box and J1772 plug) and insert my own signal. But I don't want to cut the cable ;-)

:shock:

So you don't plan to have your own fully assembled dual J1772 charger then ... if you have all the parts, including the expensive j1772 connectors, you should see easily if it is working or not.

My J1772 box, has a plug between box and J1772 cable .. in theory it could be disconnected there, and check the signals from there.

Anyhow ... why use a dual charger, when two 220v plug would do the job ?
A dual charger is going to cost as much as two charger, since the expensive parts are the J1772 plugs and the 220v switches . which anyhow are still needed "double" .. you save only on a control board, which in these day cost less then 15 USD

elm70 said:
My J1772 box, has a plug between box and J1772 cable .. in theory it could be disconnected there, and check the signals from there.
That would do the trick. But requires me to cut the cable ...

Of course I can have two separate chargers. But my grid connection does not allow me to charge two cars at the same time. So, I need load balancing or time sharing capability. Preferably not involving me getting put of bed in the middle of the night, disconnecting one car and connecting the other.

BTW: One plug will be type 1, the other type 2.

anko said:
elm70 said:
That would do the trick. But requires me to cut the cable ...

Of course I can have two separate chargers. But my grid connection does not allow me to charge two cars at the same time. So, I need load balancing or time sharing capability. Preferably not involving me getting put of bed in the middle of the night, disconnecting one car and connecting the other.

BTW: One plug will be type 1, the other type 2.

Yes .. cut the cable does not sound a good idea .. as said . mine has a "plug" on the box side, so cable with J1772 terminal can be disconnected from the "box" .. just something to unscrew/rotate and then is removable

Maybe you can see if you can open your box, possibly it can be done without any damage by just removing some screw ...

As far as I know some charger box have the possibility to configure the charging current (that is only a signalling to the car about how much current should be used for charge the battery) .. and J1772 allow to go down as much as 6Amp .. so two 6Amp charger in parallel will not destroy your power line.

Other easy option .. mega cheap .. is .. get two socket with a timer (this is what I'm using for time charge my PHEV) .. just program that one car get power from noon to midnight and the other from midnight to noon .. the charging box start up on their own when power is seen, and switch off kindly also when power is lost .. never had any issue on my PHEV with the BOX connected to a timer.

Complicated option is: https://store.openevse.com/collections/frontpage/products/openevse-30a-charge-station-combo .. and enjoy on firmware hacking and other stuffs.

PS: Level 1 ? This is 110v :shock: .. your may need a fat transformer for use it .. but I don't know any EV that are Level 1 only, normally they support Level 1 and 2 .. Level 1 is very slow, and possibly less efficient then Level 2

elm70 said:
As far as I know some charger box have the possibility to configure the charging current (that is only a signalling to the car about how much current should be used for charge the battery) .. and J1772 allow to go down as much as 6Amp .. so two 6Amp charger in parallel will not destroy your power line.
My mobile RATIO charger has this function. Bought it in order to be able to charge on camp grounds. Otherwise, 6 amps is way to slow .... Especially if and when I get an Ampera E with 60 kWh battery.
elm70 said:
Other easy option .. mega cheap .. is .. get two socket with a timer (this is what I'm using for time charge my PHEV) .. just program that one car get power from noon to midnight and the other from midnight to noon .. the charging box start up on their own when power is seen, and switch off kindly also when power is lost .. never had any issue on my PHEV with the BOX connected to a timer.
Apart from the fact that my switchable mobile charger falls back to the lowest setting after a power failure, this setup does not look anything like my use case ;-)
elm70 said:
Complicated option is: https://store.openevse.com/collections/frontpage/products/openevse-30a-charge-station-combo .. and enjoy on firmware hacking and other stuffs.
Why would you hack firmware when you can write your own?

I have gotten to the point where I can monitor the charging process (although it does not charge yet) and adjust settings (like switch priorities between chargers) on the fly from my mobile phone ... Much more fun, even when frying a pi every now and then ....

OK ... I see you like complicated solution

I was forgetting the most easy solution .. call the electric provided, upgrade the contract for have whatever kw of power you need when both charger are on .. and get the power lines updated for handle the two car on the same time

At the end .. sharing the power, it means slow charging, how ever smart you will implement it, or how ever fancy will be the control over your mobile phone ;)

Also DIY these charging boxs, it cost around 200 USD .. so .. not sure if this is much cheaper then pay your electric power provider for an "upgrade"

PS: What's the problem to test with what you have ... you don't need to "spy" your current box ... in theory nothing bad can happen on the car (unless you send 220v over the control line pins) .. J1772 is designed for be safe .. so even if you send wrong data on control line .. nothing should happen.

PPS: Anyhow ... I guess your response is an over complicated reasoning :geek:

You think you know like everything, but are you willing to pay the 700 euro annually, that I must pay when I want to upgrade my connection to the grid to a level that allows me to charge two cars simultaneously? I thought so.

If you do not want to hear it, maybe you should not have asked what my new project was about :roll:

Interesting

I have 20 or 24kw power contract, and definitely I don't have such an extra cost, actually I pay very little

But I guess these costs are very country specific

Still something sounds strange

In Austria my total cost for electricity was under 300 euro per year, so extra 750 in fix cost only sounds you got already electricity taxed like car fuel

Ps: Our PHEV can be charged fine at 6amp or 1.3kw, in 9h would get fully charged.. 1.3kw is less the most home equipment... Mainly for a 60kwh car, you may want a 30amp charger, so 6.6kw power... Almost 6 to 1 the relationship, so share power via a dual j1772 box make little sense

Back