Maximising battery life - full or part charge?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobiman

I suspect like many who park right by their charging point, I plug in as a matter of course and then remove the cable when I need the car.
As a result, the car spends probably the majority of time plugged in and fully charged.
Is this optimal for battery life or is there anything else I should do?
I intend to keep the car (now 3 years old) for at least another 2.
I do expend all battery power every couple of weeks and run on the ICE for longer journeys but the majority is short school runs.
Any views welcome

The Outlander PHEV does never fully charge the battery ... nor does ever fully discharge.

Max charge is 4.1v . that is around 90% SOC
Max discharge is 3.7v that is around 25% SOC

Lithium battery can be charged up to 4.2 normally ... and in some case even at 4.35v
Discharge can be as down to 2.5v

But .. in both cases the battery does "suffer" in the process

Ideally ... the Lithium battery like to "rest" at 3.8v ... and normally keep fully charge a battery for long time, does impact on the internal resistance of the battery, since at high charge state some element get oxidate faster.

On my little .. this is what I'm doing:
If I have no plan to use the car, I don't charge the car.
If I have plan for very very short trip .. like 5km ... I may not charge the car if I have enough capacity left
My charging normally happen in the night from 10pm (timer on the socket for use the cheap night electricity) .. and .. normally car get used in the early morning .. so it does stay fully charge only 2 or 3 hours per day

The PHEV does not allow to have partial charge .. so control this can be a bit tricky ... ideally you want to have enough battery for make your daily usage with a spare of 5km range for be sure to avoid unexpected ICE kick in ...

Plan this ahead sometime is impossible .. it can easily happen to have an extra trip not consider the day before .. also put in the right amount of charge without a control system can be very tricky

Back