Type 1 charging socket/cable very tight

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElsDrinker

Hello, this is my first post since getting a PHEV in February. It is a 2016MY GX4H.

I have a gripe regarding the charging socket on the car. Not sure if it is just my car or if other people have experienced this. It is possible my cable could be the issue as well!

When I connect my Type 1 cable to the car it is very tight and takes quite a lot of pressure to get it in fully so the catch clicks down. Also, removing the cable is difficult and takes several seconds of wiggling to get it out! The cable I use is a Type 2 to Type 1 cable I got new from evcables.co.uk and there now appears to be some scuff marks appearing on the type 1 connector, around the circular plastic cup that shields the pins.

Has anyone come across this issue and found a solution? I am considering either filing the plastic on the connector slightly or adding some grease but am reluctant to do either on a new product really.

Thanks
El

I have an old PHEV, and a 2nd hand charging box supplied by the guy who sold me the PHEV

Plug and un-plug has been always been smooth and easy, a daily operation that I'm normally doing with only one hand and no efforts

It is possible that in your case with usage it will get more smooth .. but .. I don't see big damage possibly by trying to scratch a bit your J1772 plug (on the charging station side, not on the car side) in order to get it more easy to fit into the car socket.

Surely you have got the charger supplied with the car? How doe's it fits into the socket? If it is smooth, one handed operation, then the cable you bought separately is faulty.
In any case I wouldn't try to do anything to the socket or the plug myself as both are under warranty and must be sorted by the dealer/supplier.

I thought mine was tight when we got it, and it seemd to be the case for whatever cable we used.

I looked at the port on the car side on, and it's not perpendicular to the car. The port is at an upward angle. So, after realising this, we plug in at a matching angle and it fits smoothly.

Don't know if this will help you or not.

The charger supplied with my MY16 4h is easier to connect than my Type 1 to Type 2 cable, also from EV Connectors. But it is not overly tight. A good close fit will further prevent water ingress when the socket is inserted onto the car. I had thought of just using some emery cloth to take off a fraction from the outside of the socket as it can be wrapped round the outside and worked backwards and forwards but have not bothered. If you use a file I am sure that you will lose the circular profile and end up with flats.

Thanks for everyone letting me know your experiences with the charge connection. I wasn't sure if what I was experiencing was normal as I don't know anyone else with an Outlander PHEV or any EV for that matter!

I have just tried the 13A charger that came with the car and that plugs in a lot easier so perhaps it is my new cable that is the problem. I will contact EV Cables and see if they can offer some advice.

WD40 sounds like a good idea as well, it will have the added benefit of driving out any moisture around the connector also!

Back