Resolved. Software Upgrade - No timer settings? No wifi?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyInOz

Staff member
Hmm...

Maybe I can confirm that the software has been updated, by two mechanisms.

1. The charging timer screen has vanished, looked everywhere, can't find it.
2. I'm not able to get the car into "Registration Mode" to connect via the app.

Does anyone know if there are new instructions posted anywhere?

The ACC - lock unlock (5 times each) method doesn't seem to be working.

:(

Andy

I'm surprised it was not self evident.

The car has just been returned from an annual service, during which my ECU and Map software were updated.

I'm trying to register my tablet to the car so that I can set charging times.
(I had previously de-registered the tablet to turn off wifi because of the remote hack that had been published.)

I'm doing this because the "Timer" settings are now missing from MMCS.

The "Register" procedure is as follows:

1. Get in car and close drivers door.
2. Turn the car on in ACC mode (press start without pressing on the brake pedal)
3. Press "lock" and "unlock" on the remote (i.e. the keyfob thing) 10 times in rapid succession (5 times each)
(this step has to be completed withing 10 seconds of pressing the power button)

After step three, the car is supposed to make a tone (or tones) to indicate the present state.

This is not happening.

I have successfully followed this procedure in the past.

So... back to the question.

Does anyone know if this procedure to put the PHEV into registration mode, has changed?

Andy

Registration procedure explained here:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/outlander_phev/app/remote/jizen.html

I thought that the 10/20 time door lock unlock is only for activate /deactivate wifi
Once wifi is on, you can connect to it if you have the password

Activate /deactivate wifi cause to reset some parameters associated to charging timers and pre heat timers, at least on my old PHEV

Based on your experience I may not ask at my next service to update firmware, operation that would not be for free in my case

elm70 said:
I thought that the 10/20 time door lock unlock is only for activate /deactivate wifi
Once wifi is on, you can connect to it if you have the password

Well... technically not to activate/deactivate wifi, but to register a device so that it is allowed to access wifi.

If you have no devices registered, then wifi is not active.

elm70 said:
Activate /deactivate wifi cause to reset some parameters associated to charging timers and pre heat timers, at least on my old PHEV
Based on your experience I may not ask at my next service to update firmware, operation that would not be for free in my case

Something else is going on regarding the timers.

There used to be a menu command, Settings button, Timers and then you could set when the car would charge and also where.

That whole setting is now missing from the menu in MMCS.

I discovered all this because I plugged the car in to charge, expecting it to charge overnight as usual, and it started charging immediately.

When I went to reset the charging timer through MMCS I couldn't find the menu anywhere!

Hence me wondering what is going on.

Andy

OK...

Mitsubishi Australia said: "Please talk to the dealer, we can't help." (very polite email)

The dealer asked the service supervisor to come out and have a look, and he explained that he hadn't seen the fault before, did remember having seen the menu that is now missing, but would seek assistance from Mitsubishi Australia, who would probably talk to Mitsubishi Japan.

So, the car is booked back in for next Monday, to see if they can find what has gone wrong.

The service supervisor suggested that it could be a "module" that has broken or become unplugged.

(I'm guessing an incompatibility between the software version loaded and something else in the car)

Will keep everyone posted.

Andy

AndyInOz said:
OK...

Mitsubishi Australia said: "Please talk to the dealer, we can't help." (very polite email)

The dealer asked the service supervisor to come out and have a look, and he explained that he hadn't seen the fault before, did remember having seen the menu that is now missing, but would seek assistance from Mitsubishi Australia, who would probably talk to Mitsubishi Japan.

So, the car is booked back in for next Monday, to see if they can find what has gone wrong.

The service supervisor suggested that it could be a "module" that has broken or become unplugged.

(I'm guessing an incompatibility between the software version loaded and something else in the car)

Will keep everyone posted.

Andy

The standard (not Aspire) model does not have that facility, so I would guess that update was for that.....

Mitsubishi believe that they have identified a module that has failed, a new one is on order.

I'm still guessing the wrong software was installed (purely because the timer menus and functionality disappeared after the upgrade)

:?

The "remote module" IIRC has finally arrived from Japan, and is getting fitted in a fortnight.

Meanwhile I've noticed something possibly new...

When I put the heater on in the morning, the engine starts immediately.

I don't remember this happening before, but easily could have missed it.

My car has the electric heater.

Can anyone confirm that the engine starts for heating in the top model?

Or is this more evidence that the wrong software has been loaded?

Andy

PS. The car has been in for a subsequent recall, but that software (and spark plugs) upgrade didn't address the lack of timers...

AndyInOz said:
When I put the heater on in the morning, the engine starts immediately.

I don't remember this happening before, but easily could have missed it.

My car has the electric heater.

Can anyone confirm that the engine starts for heating in the top model?
Depending on the difference between "ambient" and "requested" temp, this may very well happen. Even when the vehicle is equipped with an electrical heater. This causes a lot of frustration with owners in colder countries and is IMHO the main driver for 'our quest' for EV Only solutions.

Thanks anko,

I figured it was just me getting paranoid. :cry:

It was 6 degrees C outside, so certainly can understand temp difference setting it off.

(and me with no pre-heat timer)

Andy

AndyInOz said:
Thanks anko,

I figured it was just me getting paranoid. :cry:

It was 6 degrees C outside, so certainly can understand temp difference setting it off.

(and me with no pre-heat timer)

Andy
Ah, 6 deg C it was? Typically (before I had the PHEV Box installed) I could 'safely' set the heater to 15.5 deg C (and then slowly increase as th eheater did it's job) as long as it was 7 deg C or above (and the car was in ECO mode). From 6 deg C downwards, I could not :idea:

Was this software update in response to the Australian Safety Recall 010137 which includes a software update and change of spark plugs?
If so I might hold off on the recall till yours is sorted :shock:

No, not related at all.

I took it in for an annual service and asked if there were any updates for the map, and the wifi software.

The dealer found a map update (yay!) and also an update for the MMCS.

The latter has caused the timer menu to disappear, and I haven't been able to like the PHEV ap to the car since.

The recall went flawlessly.

:)

Mitsubishi have replaced the wi-fi module (I believe) under warranty.

This has resulted in:

(a) A new SSID and Password; and,
(b) All the timer menus have returned.

All is happy in PHEV land.

:D

Although thread is some months old, I thought to add a similar experience.

I had a dead car - well it said something like "system fault, contact service" on the information display between the dials, when I switched on. Everything I tried seemed to work except the car would not go through its full power up cycle. I had just removed the charger plug as usual, and stepped in the car. The car was taken away by the Mitsubishi breakdown service.

The garage looked at it a couple of days later and said they've never seen anything like it and called Mitsubishi support - similar remark.

They could not find a fault exactly but did upgrade the software - same story as in this thread ... no remote operation. While I can see the WiFi and SSID displayed on any device with a WiFi facility, registered or not, I cannot log into the car. The password has been altered in the remote unit. I suspect that some technicians update the software without having been fully briefed on the process, and just couple the computer and make the update. Having made the update they have no idea what password has been set in the remote box in the car ... he difference between car mechanics and experience computer personnel?

I am now in the same position as the o.p. and will be getting a new remote box in a couple of weeks.

I do not have the problem with setting the timers - they are available though the EV settings on the MMCS - the garage believes the ettings are only available through the remote app :roll:

I post this because I have had several software quirks on the car and this is one that Mitsubishi could easily to attend to - it must be costing Mitsubishi to replace the unit every time and it is obviously a weak point.

Mitsubishi Remote Control
The password is 10 characters, the Handbrake handle

Mitsubishi Remote Control I
The password is 14 characters, the Handbrake handle

Mitsubishi Remote Control II
For cars, the handbrake button

Back