Creaking Dashboard

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunzena

Hi. We've had our new PHEV for just over a month and we're thoroughly enjoying it - except for one thing.

Over the past week a persistent 'creak' has started to come from around the MMC. It's noticeable over anything other than a glassy road surface. If you press on the surface of the shiny black surround to the screen [or the softer plastic next to it] - the creak stops.

I know the car is so quiet that you notice any extraneous noises in the cabin - but I can hear this over the radio. It's not high pitched but now it's been spotted it's impossible to ignore. My immediate sense is that the materials that make up the quite complex surround to the MMC are rubbing against each other. The surround sits flush, there is no obvious 'give' when the surround is pushed - it doesn't feel as if it has been mis-fitted in the factory.

At a month old [and for such an expensive car] - it's more than a little disappointing. Given we have less than 2k miles on the clock - I fear what this creak might be like as the car gets older.

Two questions. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Secondly - any suggestions about what to do? I don't want the dealer to start spraying silicon into the gaps as a temporary measure - and I'm equally reluctant to get him to start pulling the dashboard apart.

Any thoughts? and thanks in advance. ;)

Hello
i do not have that problem on my 3 month old car but i think it could be a case of some grease is needed or some kind of buffer being put on the rear side of it to stop any movement. I do know exactly what you mean about the noise once noticed will not get out of your head once you have noticed it. my MMC is snugly fit and does not wobble or move at all so maybe your dealer could have a look at the tension of the moving mechanism.
if that is your only niggle then you are doing great. Enjoy the ride once sorted.
Steve

We have the same intermittently - along with several other intermittent creaks and rattles. You could try applying some light silicone lubricant to the joints - that does help for a while. Don't use grease - that will not get into the joint - a thin spray lubricant will do it - wipe off the excess afterwards.

The interior is a bit flimsy in several places - the trim under the doors has also come lose on ours and pops off from time to time and the driver's seat has developed an irritating creak.

That part of the dash should be very easy for the dealer to get to. I would tell them about it now and get them to sort it out. They will either lubricate or, more likely, use some foam pads or other packing material to sort it out.

No noises from my dash, though under the steering wheel a rattle mysteriously started and lasted for 10 minutes before disappearing all by itself.

My interior trim comes unclipped, especially with 3 small boys, one of which can only just about get himself into the car without adult supervision. Seems to clip back together fairly easily.

Yes take it to the dealer ... maybe see if a passenger can make a video of the creak to play back to the dealer as 'evidence'?

Silicone fluid or silicone grease is about the only way I've found in the past to stop annoying dashboard creaks and groans. Even Mr Sheen can help. Other than that disassembly is the only solution. My old Jeep Cherokee had felt tape (factory applied) stuck around contacting plastic joints which worked well to eliminate creaking.

My PHEV has a really annoying buzzy noise from somewhere around the passenger side dashboard air vent. Pushing on the dash and surrounding area doesn't stop the noise. It comes and goes but is very annoying indeed when it's there. Seems to relate to temperature changes. As mentioned previously, as the cabin is so quiet these things seem more obvious perhaps. I wonder how much you have to pay before a car doesn't have annoying squeaks and rattles?

I recently spent around 5 years trying to eliminate a thoroughly annoying squeak from my Smart car - even replaced all the suspension bushes. Turned out to be a radiator hose flapping about too much and very slightly rubbing against something unknown inside the 'bonnet' (engine's in the back).

No noise from my dash, but a bit of an annoying rattle from the roof lining for me if the sunroof cover is open.... Does anyone else have a rattly roof lining?

To the OP, have a good push of the surround. It's held in place by clips on each side, with a stronger clasp in the bottom right - you won't do any harm giving it all a good shove.

If that doesn't sort it, it's really easy to remove the trim and check mounts on the stereo, etc. for loose screws. A thin screwdriver or knife with a cloth on to avoid scratches - I always start with the top left then pry some more on the top right and down the left side. Once you ping it off, there are 3 plugs to undo, then the whole trim just lifts off.

bbb

First of all - a really big thank you to all who've taken the time to post here. [Stevian - re-reading yours - it seems that having a creaking dashboard, might be a minor inconvenience compared to what you've been through? And SolarBoy and NightPHEVer - I seem to have minor issues too :!:].

Given the car is so new, I'm reluctant to start fiddling with it myself. That includes using WD40/Trim Spray to try and deal with the creaks. My experience from other cars is that it lasts a few weeks [at most] and then any noises return. In then becomes a regular cycle of spray, wipe down with cleaner, repeat.

But, I have a Philosophy in life - to try and stay away from Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers and Garages. My experience is that they can sometimes make things worse. ;)

On that basis, I'm concerned that asking the Dealer to investigate [and removing/refitting panels] might cause other issues. [That Black Ash looks very easy to scratch!] However, Lance and SolarBoy - you give me the confidence to take it back to the dealer and at least ask the question.

I remember sitting in each of the two demonstrators we were loaned before we committed to buy, looking at the dashboard thinking that there are an awful lot of parts and different materials there. Both of those cars were rock solid and squeak free though. Whilst I continue to be surprised by how good the car is in virtually every way - I agree with posters here - that the trim is flimsy and not good enough for a car costing £40k+.

Back