seat adjustment: Outlander not built for longer legs?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonwegen

Hi all, this week I've had my first test drive with an Outlander, PHEV. I am really impressed by the e-drive, the whole conception of hybrid, the visualization of the interaction of the three motors inside. It's a real fun, focussing on energy sufficiency, specially the understanding of recuperation.

Apart from some detailed aspects (such as steering, roadholding, seat quality, automatic transmission uphill between 60 and 80 km/h) I've had a real problem with the seat adjustment (el.). On maximum backwards and down I couldn't get a comfortable position, specially for my right leg. I've never been sitting in a car, that didn't allow a less deep sitting position, no chance to stretch my legs to an acceptable degree. After two hours driving I got tenseness in knee and hip. I had never driven a japanese car before. Maybe that is the whole answer, but I really couldn't imagine. My length is 196, with, I think, normal legs-/body-proportion.

Does anybody of you have a similar experience or, even better, a practicable solution, the sales assistant didn't have. Otherwise I unfortunately should have to forget the Outlander as my, till now, most attractive non-diesel-(never again!)/non-pure-internal-combustion-engine option.

Thanks a lot, vonwegen

hello

i have no problem in my 5hs which has the electric moving seats but i am slightly shorter than you at 190 cm , i find that in my comfortable driving position there is still room to move the seat further back and down, so not sure what style of driving position you prefer? my inside leg is 860mm by the way.

Hmmm, you don't surprise me too much! I'm 1.83m (in continental currency) and it works for me, but not with a great deal of space to spare. I can believe that an additional 13cm could prove a bit too much.....

Hi, I am 200 cm and find the seat OK. I have electric adjustment of the driver seat and I tilt the seat as much as possible, highest in the front and lowest in the back of the seat. I cannot understand why they even thought of skipping the lumbar support. I believe it still is a missing feature on this car regardless of model year.

It should be possible to move the seat mount 5 cm back, if neccessary with a bit of technical creativity. Have the saleperson call a mechanic in.

I'm 190cm tall, 84cm inside leg and large build, and have no issue finding a comfortable position. That isn't to say it couldn't be more comfy - lumbar support would be a massive improvement, and a bit more upper bolster would help as well.

I should add that my longest drive so far is only around 3 hours. At the end of the month I've got a 6 hour drive and in the summer around 20 hours over 2 days. I might change my mind about the seats after that!

Lack of lumbar support is indeed a real dealbreaker. Well you can buy an cheap lumbar pillow

195cm and have no issues with leg room in my 2017 4hs. Lumbar support could be better though.

vonwegen said:
Hi all, this week I've had my first test drive with an Outlander, PHEV. I am really impressed by the e-drive, the whole conception of hybrid, the visualization of the interaction of the three motors inside. It's a real fun, focussing on energy sufficiency, specially the understanding of recuperation.

Apart from some detailed aspects (such as steering, roadholding, seat quality, automatic transmission uphill between 60 and 80 km/h) I've had a real problem with the seat adjustment (el.). On maximum backwards and down I couldn't get a comfortable position, specially for my right leg. I've never been sitting in a car, that didn't allow a less deep sitting position, no chance to stretch my legs to an acceptable degree. After two hours driving I got tenseness in knee and hip. I had never driven a japanese car before. Maybe that is the whole answer, but I really couldn't imagine. My length is 196, with, I think, normal legs-/body-proportion.

Does anybody of you have a similar experience or, even better, a practicable solution, the sales assistant didn't have. Otherwise I unfortunately should have to forget the Outlander as my, till now, most attractive non-diesel-(never again!)/non-pure-internal-combustion-engine option.

Thanks a lot, vonwegen
Ummm...Automatic transmission? The car has no automatic transmission.

I am 6'4" tall in old English measurement!
My vehicle is the 3+ with manual seat adjustment.
I seriously injured my left leg in a motor cycle accident many years ago and have very little movement in knee and ankle.
Test drive threw up the problem of limited seat movement but after discussing with engineers they removed the left foot rest. This solved that problem I now use a foam pad to support my right knee against the offside door interior.
This has answered my seating problems to a greater degree but I still have to have a "comfort stop" after 2 hours on the road.
A little discomfort but it allows me to drive a great car. Looking forward to the next one in 18 months time.
Big John

3+
Orient Red
Named "Sparky"

I am 1.95 with quite normal proportions. My (electric) seat goes back another 10 cm from the position I have put it in and feel comfortable with.

I cannot relate to this at all :?:

I am 6'2", but my legs are out of proportion, according to my cycle shop I should be 3" taller. I also have arthritis in both feet, ankles, knees, hands and wrists and this has to be the most comfortable car I have ever driven.

Previously, I would have wanted to slide the base further back, but I can't and have not had a problem. Between Monday and Friday just gone I have driven 1452 miles, including 384 yesterday only stopping for fuel and a quick stretch. I sit fairly upright in my 3+ manual seats and have no back problems due to the lack of lumbar, which is the way I prefer my seats.

I'm now at 37,000+ miles since February 2016 and still love it.

For those interested, my mpg over the 1452 miles was 33. Considering Save was activated all the time, and the route took us through Wales, all of Ireland and back through Scotland and the M6 and M1 to Luton, that's not bad at all. Two up, car full of work samples, complete comfort and quiet and never missed a beat!

Hi, thank you very much for all your comments, the various aspects I have to think about. I am really surprised reading your predominant positive reviews regarding the leg room respectively the sitting posture for taller drivers in that car. I wonder and I am relieved that anyhow I probably will have mistaken the seat adjustment. I really would be glad if I could keep the Outlander to my favourites.

So I will do two things now,

- compare the manual seat and the electric adjustment and
- have a second test drive, if the dealer will give me the chance.

And, @jaapv, „the car has no automatic transmission“, thank you, of course, I hadn’t understood that. I got a bit bugged by the high speed level.

Back