Electrical tailgate position

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2509

Does anybody know if/how to adjust how far the tailgate should open? Right now it hits my garage door so I would like it to not open all the way as today.

With my previous cars I have just manually placed the tailgate where I would like it to be when fully open and then press and hold the tailgate close button on the tailgate to learn the car the position. Unfortunately that dosent work with on the PEHV.

I went to a Mitsubishi dealer who connected their computer and we looked through the settings but nothing in there.
He didn't think that it's possible but shouldn't it be possible to move a sensor or similar?

I've just looked through the manual and can't see anything. Like you, I would have thought it would have an adjustable stop point but perhaps not.

The recommended solution is to move house and get a bigger garage! Personally speaking, every garage I've ever owned was completely full of the things that I could not get into the house, so the problem has never arisen. We now have two garages - one is completely full of my junk which has overflowed into the other and my son had used up the remaining space in the second one....

Great suggestions guys. :D

My Mitsubishi dealer will talk to Mitsubishi and see if there is a sensor they can move or adjust.
Since it's Mitsubishi, I don't have any high hopes that they can or understand the situation at all.

Interesting that a Japanese car should not have a way to get round it. I was under the impression that Japanese cities were the most overcrowded in the developed world and everything was small compared to the European equivalent. Also, I thought that there was a rule in many Japanese cities that you were not allowed to own a car unless you had off-street parking for it?

ps44 said:
You know you can override/turn off the electric opening ?

Nice car... "Don't use the functions you paid for because the manufacturer doesn't know how to do things right.".
If you bump your head into the tailgate you could stop opening it and load/unload things through the back door... :roll:

I probably should have checked this before getting the car but as I said, all my previous cars, with automatic tailgate, have had the learn position function so I took forever granted that all cars have it in some way. This 2017 doesn't and there seems to be no way to do it even at the Mitsubishi dealer.

It's the shape of the tailgate/spoiler/roof line that limits the opening of the tailgate to head-bashing height for us non-vertically challenged owners! :lol: I had a look to see if I could get it to open further, no way.

ps44 said:
jaapv said:
For me it should open further. I'm always hitting my head... :cry:
Ditto :x

You know you can override/turn off the electric opening ?
I don't think that makes any difference to the position to which it opens though, does it? On those few occasions that I have opened it by hand, it still seems to drift up to the end stop.

Back