Charging pattern

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badsimian

Hi all,

I just got a second hand 2014 PHEV and am wondering about the best way to charge. It will generally get used for several smallish trips within a single day and perhaps some longer ones at weekends. During week days, should we be plugging it in between trips or leaving it to just have one main charge overnight each day?

Just trying to work out the best way to enhance the battery lifetime.

Thanks.

Well, PHEVs have not been around long enough for there to be much real-world experience of failure, so we are talking extrapolation of experience of other lithium batteries. The perception is that frequent partial charges are likely to be more damaging than fewer, deeper discharge and recharge cycles - and Mitsubishi recommend against frequent, small "top-up" charges.

I have extensive experience with LiFePO4 batteries in my caravan, and have done a lot of "homework" on them.
They don't like being stored "full", and don't like being over charged or discharged- (thankfully Mr Mitsubishi has that last part looked after for us automatically. The system will not overcharge or over discharge the PHEV batteries.)
Basically small top up charges are good for these caravan batteries rather than deep cycles, and it's the same with LiPo's in your phone etc. (If you can keep your phone between 20 and 80% rather than full, it will last MUCH longer.)

I very strongly suspect that our PHEV batteries will be the same, similar chemistry, so I strongly suspect that some small part charges within reason in between your short trips won't hurt your battery at all, far from it in fact.

The main point though is that you should do a long, full charge at least once a fortnight or so, as that's the only time balancing individual cells occurs. And if you're going away for quite some time, and leaving the PHEV parked in your garage (or somewhere else), leave it half charged rather than full.
Unlike lead acid for example, these batteries don't like being stored full.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

We just plug it in whenever we return home and leave it plugged in whenever it is not used (= too lazy to go outside and unplug it!) so it is fully ready to go when we next want it. Doesn't seem to be doing it any harm.

It will be interesting to see what state it's in after 2 weeks in the body-shop for some minor repairs as by the time they have driven it there and back it will be 'fully' discharged and I don't suppose they will plug it in.

What we have noticed is that the range 'guessometer' varies widely depending on who was last driving it (my wife or me!) and the ambient temperature during the day/night. It also changes whilst parked during the day mid-journey particularly if the daytime temperature increases, or maybe it's just self induced battery pack temperature having been used from cold.

Back