GPS-settings

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutus

I can't seem to understand how the GPS works. Now, when I want to drive to a city center, the GPS wants me to take small roads and NOT the highway that leads directly to the center. It really makes bad choices, both when it comes to distance and time. How come? Could it be that it's e.g. is avoiding toll roads or something like that? How can I change this? I can't find anything in navigation settings menu. I hope someone can help me with this:)

brutus said:
I can't seem to understand how the GPS works. Now, when I want to drive to a city center, the GPS wants me to take small roads and NOT the highway that leads directly to the center. It really makes bad choices, both when it comes to distance and time. How come? Could it be that it's e.g. is avoiding toll roads or something like that? How can I change this? I can't find anything in navigation settings menu. I hope someone can help me with this:)

Sounds normal behaviour to me for the MMCS, why my wife and I don't use the car sat nav for navigation.

There are some settings on this, at least for toll roads, that I have changed. Can't remember at the mo where in the menus I found it. I'll try to have a look later.

Navigation generally works ok for us, but we don't use it that often.

ps44 said:
There are some settings on this, at least for toll roads, that I have changed. Can't remember at the mo where in the menus I found it. I'll try to have a look later.

Navigation generally works ok for us, but we don't use it that often.

Yeah I have everything set to avoid small lanes, it still tries to take us down tracks barely the width of the vehicle ...

Mine to, even on a direct route, it finds side streets to go down! Maybe it likes speed bumps? Hardly use it now, prefer HERE WEgo on the iPhone, which is the same mapping software as the MMCS but up to date. :)

It's the same here in Australia.

What a useless bloody navigator: we can be on a main road or freeway, heading straight towards our destination, and it will persist in trying to get us to exit on every little side road it can find.
Whilst most in dash navigation systems are poor, with out of date maps and many other problems, this one is appalling. Not impressed Mr Mitsubishi!

I just use my iPhone, (either Apple Maps or Waze) which is mostly near enough to perfect.

A 2017 model would be nice, with Apple Car Play. Oh well :(

Cheers

Have a dig into the navigation settings...

I'm pretty sure you'll find that someone has set it to "avoid main roads" or such like.

1. Navigation Menu
2. Route Options
3. Ensure that "Minimise Motorways" and "Minimise Toll-roads" are both turned off.

There are also settings that allow specific areas to be avoided. Ensure that they are only turned on as appropriate.

Simples!

brutus said:
There IS a manual that comes with it... :roll: . I have found that using ANY navsat system and switching off one's brain may end one up in a ditch. TomTom has tried that one on me a couple of times. My iPhone tried to drive me through a fence once.
So now I tend to stay on the main road if I do not trust the system -road signs help; usually they point in the right direction!- and it corrects in seconds.

The quality of the navigation is very dependent on the quality of the cartography which, in turn, is very country dependent. The user interface on the PHEV MMCS is a bit arcane, but it seems to do a decent job of navigation in Britain, at least. Other Satnavs in France, for example, have given us some very strange routes. A few years ago, we left a hotel in central France on our way to Bordeaux and I was surprised to be directed onto a road that was little more than a cart track. A couple of miles later it actually became a cart track and we were instructed to turn left onto the A10 motorway. As it happened, we were driving a Landcruiser and probably would have made it up the embankment to the A10 that passed overhead, but I guessed that I would not have been able to join the motorway without the assistance of an angle grinder to cut through the fence and the crash barriers!

Strangely enough the satnav I had in the Jaguar before the PHEV was excellent on the Continent but rubbish in the UK.. Go figure...

Back