best obd adapters

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the past I was able to get the OBDlink LX for just 55 Euro shipped from Amazon.de

It is working fine, and it is supposed to be one of the best .. only issue is that the security protection if left all time on the car .. I still get to know how I can connect to it without unplug and plug it back ...

Now on Amazon.de they want over 90 euro for it .. so I can't suggest it for such price

Anyhow .. take one from the list of EvBatMon page that is reported to work fine on EvBatMon application

I tried three progressively more expensive (Starting dirt cheap) ELM 327 bluetooth adaptors looking for one that would run EvBattMon on my PHEV,

All seemed to run basic Android software such as "TorquePro" but it was not until I purchased an "iCarsoft i620" that I could get EvBattMon to work.

It now runs "PHEV Watchdog" without any problems.

Getting hold of one at a reasonable price was something of a challenge. I obtained mine from an ebay seller in France. Their prices have increased since the
nm so today I would resort to Amazon.co.uk.

As elm70 pointed out you will find a list of adaptors that work with EvBatMon and some that do not at http://evpositive.com/evbatmon-for-phev.html

As I wrote somewhere else, I own three OBDLink MX WiFi adapters and I have used them in parallel during about every km I've been driving my PHEV, since I bought them. So, they have taken quite a beating. After little more than 2 years, one of the three died on me. In the Netherlands it was out of warranty, but scantools.net offer a three year manufacturer warranty. I contacted them via their forum and explained the symptoms I saw. Less than one week later, I had received a new adapter, free of charge. They actually choose a faster shipping option, so I would receive it in time before my vacation.

Great service from these people!

Got the Vgate Icar V3 as it was recommended on the PHEV Watchdog site, works perfectly and puts itself to sleep if not being used (has a button on the front face to turn it back on). It is really slim and can only just be seen at the bottom of the dashboard as I bought an orange one as they were cheaper on Amazon, cost £15.49 and was delivered the next day.

I would recommend an OBDLink LX if you find the price reasonable.

More thant 20.000kms logged with this adapter on the PHEV without a single issue, and I leave it plugged all the time.
And I was using this very same adapter with no problems on my previous car with the Torque Pro App.

If you are not willing to spend that much for an adapter look for vgate iCar brand. They cost much less and seem to be reliable.

Whatever you choice may be source it from a reliable source and stay away from dubious Chinese suppliers, you might get a cheap clone or defective unit from them.

And depending on which App you wish to use, check the list for compatible adapters on each App's website.

Is there anything like VCDS (VAG vehicles) or IIDTool (Land Rover) for Mitsubishi vehicles and Outlanders in particuler

Yep. Depending on what you aim to do, you might want to look into:

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/lexia-3

and

https://etacsdecoder.com/

Together, these allowed to to set up for example auto locking doors and I can control my windows and sunroof for a period of time after turning off the ignition.

Ca**oR closed their local place, now an 80 mile round trip.

Seems strange there's nothing the VAG & Land Rover stuff is around the £200 mark, restricted vehicle count though but that doesn't matter

Very optimistic, they don't even have generic diagnostics and a good friend at a local independant says their kit can't. It appearsy it has to be Mitsubishi specific diagnostics :(

etacsdecoder can't do it, I just read: https://etacsdecoder.com/forum/archive/index.php?thread-728.html

Do you still have to old sensor? Can the id of the old sensor be cloned to the new sensor?

No, and a bet the tyre shop just binned the old one.

And probably can't clone without some special kit.

Mitsubishi and Ca**or Cars and not very popular with me at the moment. The latter for closing the local service centre meaning 1/2 a day off work to get to their now nearest :(

If you are looking for the best OBD adapter, then first you need to answer the question: "WHY"

if you just indulge in viewing data from the Engine, AT, Climat, etc, then it is better find a quality Elm327.
but, if you want to configure the hidden functions, which are a very lot in PHEV, and make full use of the capabilities of the official MUT-III SE program, then the best adapter is Openport2, (also china clone from AliExpress, or E-bay).

through the MUT-config from the site of the etacsdecoder you can also pair the keys, and more .. beacose etacsdecoder itself is not made for this.

Back