Home charger with a Type 2 cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManyCheeses

Hello,

I had a 32 Amp Rolec charger installed at home recently by a local electrical company which was covered by the OLEV grant. Everything went well, however the unit which has been installed has a tethered Type 2 lead i.e. not compatible with my PHEV.

I asked the electrical company if they could change the tethered lead to a Type 1. They’ve come back saying an adaptor for Type 2 to Type 1 has been ordered. Slightly nervous after reading about adaptors potentially being dangerous, not wanting to wake up one morning with my PHEV/house burnt to a crisp or have many amps of current earthing through me on a rainy day.

Any advice gratefully received (other than should have gone for untethered charging unit and got a separate Type 2 to Type 1 cable…)
Thanks

I would be fine using an adapter but if you're not tell them it isn't suitable and they need to install the correct cable to the unit (assuming they knew you had a Outlander phev and you didn't specifically order a type 2 tethered rather than a type 1 tethered).

I think generally the points made around extensions and adapters tend to be a catch all for stupid people! For example, you'll often hear EV drivers state you should not use an extension cable with the 13amp plug. This is a myth often peddled by Leaf drivers. The fact is that so long as the cable is 1) rated appropriately 2) in good physical order and 3) fully unwound there are no issues whatsoever. The principles apply for the adapter too.

It makes me laugh when you hear about people who don't dare plug in a car drawing 10ampa to just an old socket, but they'll happily plug in other power hungry devices such as heaters or air conditioning units without a second thought.

Back