Brake Pad Life

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunda67

Hi,

I have a December 2014 Outlander Phev. Last dealer service in December 2016 at 20k miles I was told the rear brake discs were a bit rusty but would be fine until the next annual service. Everything had a green tick on the service report except an amber tick for the rear discs.

The car has now done 25k miles and the front brakes started making a noise last week. I just removed the front wheels for a look and the inside pad on both calipers is down to the metal and the inside of the disks are knackered as they are so badly worn.

Two questions here:

1. is less than 25k miles acceptable brake pad life for a car that uses regenerative braking most of the time?

2. do I have a valid warranty claim for the front discs - the dealer marked them as green on last service report which to my mind means the pads should be good until the next service but 5000 miles later and they are down to the metal?

Thanks.

doesn't seem right to me! Ours just went through its third service and first MOT at 37,000 miles with no mention of impending pad or disk failure.

That was my thinking - I also have a "normal" car and the pads are 22k old and still plenty of life left in them.

I'm wondering if the lower mileage in the last 10 months has contributed by things seizing/getting rusty?

In my previous ICE car (bought new) pads were changed at 30k . I was not happy. I was told that between 25 and 30k it difficult to claim under warranty as the car maker will always claim its the driving style. Yours is 22k you can always try.

I will try..........

My view is the pads were marked as green on service report and 5000 miles later they are down to the metal - I think it would be difficult to have that bad a driving style :shock:

I would say most of the time we use regenerative braking as we live in a remote are and 99% of the journeys is local roads with no other traffic about.

I am assuming to get the pads marked as "green" on last service then they still must have had 50% of life left in them and they had achieved 20k miles up until that point. Why they have no life left in them 5k miles later is very strange.

More likely that they did not actually check the brake pads at all.
Seen this sort of thing many times with Landrover main dealers.

Well dropped it of at the dealer this morning and they have just called to say calipers are seized. They said they will service calipers and replace discs under warranty which all sounds like a good result to me :D

Need to wait a few days until they get the parts etc. but hopefully it will be all sorted soon.

Severe brake wear on Outlander PHEV. Had car from brand new, driven very gently mostly using Regen.
Now just two & half years old and requiring new pads, discs and callipers at 31000 miles?
No mention of issues in previous service.
Dealership said I’d obviously been driving the vehicle aggressively!
Repair cost estimated at £1400 by dealership VAT not included!

Very weird.

My experience is the opposite...

The dealer complains that my brake pads are still brand new.

Have them check for seized calipers and do the recalls for them (rear only I believe) as necessary. Fronts can be maintained by cleaning and lubricating.

Back