Wifi Dead After Recall 020158 - Remote Security Reflash

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbot

Hi,
Just had my 30k km service where they did this recall. Now the wifi is dead. Can't enable it using the usual driver door closed/10 presses on the keyfob thing.

Has anyone else had this issue? It's an AU spec ZJ aspire. Mitsubishi Toowong (Brisbane) Australia did the service.
Tim

Yes, I've been through exactly this.

After a software update, I lost wi-fi and the ability to set timers via the MMC.

Mitsubishi ended up supplying a new component to fix the problem.

(Makes me suspect that the software and hardware need to be an exact match).

If I can find my thread, I'll post a link here.

Edited to add: found the thread: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3081

Hi Andy,
Can you please tell me which dealership? It might help if I can point my one in the direction of someone thst has had the same problem.
Thsnks
Tim

Hi Tim,

No dramas.

Australian Motors Mitsubishi
19-33 Goodwood Road
Wayville SA 5034

(08) 8179 3666

Their service supervisor (Paul IIRC) looked after the problem.

Andy

My car has been called in for the recall...I'd be happy for the wifi to end up disabled as I never use it! :lol:

(Yes I know I can do it myself but can never find the time to sit in the car pressing buttons. Quite why it's not a menu item on the MMCS is incomprehensible to me)

Ok all fixed now. Warranty replacement of WiFI module. Timer menus all appear normal.

Interestingly, the wifi password is now 14 digits and I needed to change to the "Outlander Phev I" app to make it all work. So presumably this fixes the wifi vulnerability issues with previous versions.

I had and MOT and recall/update last week.....noticed this morning that preheat/defrost timer icon has disappeared from the MMCS menu. It seems I'm not the only one....has anyone successfully got this restored? So frustrating as coming up to winter it's actually quite useful, and it's not as if the car was misbehaving in any way before the "update" was done! :evil:

I think you'll find that you need to have the wifi remote module replaced, same as the rest of us.

Mitsubishi are really slow on this one, you'd think they'd have worked this out by now.

(It's possible that I was the first to notice this problem, but there have been several others now.)

It turned out that nothing needed replacing, but the MMCS did require a factory reset, then all came back to normal. I was told it was something to do with sensors around the car not communicating with each other (?), apparently nothing to do with the engine software management update, just coincidence......I'm not convinced!

timbot said:
Hi,
Just had my 30k km service where they did this recall. Now the wifi is dead. Can't enable it using the usual driver door closed/10 presses on the keyfob thing.

Has anyone else had this issue? It's an AU spec ZJ aspire. Mitsubishi Toowong (Brisbane) Australia did the service.
Tim

Timbot this is crazy. I had my PHEV ZJ aspire recall work done at Toowong Mitsubishi in September and exactly the same problem. I had a lot of trouble with them that I had to take it back 3 times before the problem was sorted which was a total waste of my annual leave.

1. After recall service I noticed there was no wifi and the charge timer menu had disappeared from the MMCS.
2. Took it back for them to fix the problem at a later date. They rang me to say it's all fixed. I went and picked it up but thought I'd better check it while I was still there. They hadn't fixed a thing!!!! They made me wait an hour while they investigated and figured out they couldn't fix it. They asked me to take it home and they would call me with an update.
3. They called and said the replacement part is on the way and schedule another service.
4. I take it in for the service and this time it's fixed and i have a new SSID and password.

So, by October Toowong Mitsubishi should have known about this problem and it should have been fresh in their minds. Obviously not. Pity they don't have strict quality control and QA checks in their recall and servicing regimes. Glad it is all sorted though.

My experience pretty much exactly matches sawman82's.

Let's hope that the factory reset, didn't just un-install your software update.

Not posted for a while but this subject caught my eye....

I had my annual service last week. The dealer service guy told me about the recall and he said the SSID password was being changed from 10 to 14 digits following the scare about PHEVs being stolen using the WLAN vulnerability. I asked if I would need a new SSID password and he wasn't sure. I forgot to ask again when I picked up the car (doh!).

Anyway I tried my Preheat on monday morning as we had frost up here in Yorkshire and it would not connect at all. Phoned the dealer who called me back an hour later with the new 14digit password. I did the reregister procedure without issue and it worked fine after that.

I'm not sure why other PHEVs mentioned needed their WIFI modules replacing - did that actually happen for sure? But I do agree the dealer communication could be a lot better - surely they know the recall is going break the car's WIFI and remote app features?

It's a shame because Luscombe would have got 10 out of 10 for the service otherwise.

Hi All

Yesterday I had the second service on MY16 and also it required the update to the ECU regarding the increase to 14 character password.

I was not given the new password and I forgot to ask if I needed one.

This morning I called dealer and was given new password. After trying for ages to connect to the LAN it still wouldn't connect. Another call to Service Manager and informed that I needed to install the PHEV Remote 1 app and not use the original PHEV Remote app.

After installing the OUTLANDER PHEV 1 app from Google Play and registering as per the instructions the connection was easily made. ( Don't forget it means sitting in the car and pressing the key fob buttons 10 times etc.) So now I can preheat again in the mornings. :D

I have suggested on Mitsubishi feedback that a 'crib sheet' detailing this would be of great use as this update seems to be causing a lot of unnecessary angst for us.

I hope this will be of use to those yet to have the update to the 14 character password.

Good Luck
Mac

P.S. This also stopped my dealer getting 10 for the service!

Mac said:
After installing the OUTLANDER PHEV 1 app from Google Play and registering as per the instructions the connection was easily made. ( Don't forget it means sitting in the car and pressing the key fob buttons 10 times etc.)
I forgot to mention that - I also needed the PHEV 1 app, but I worked that out from the remote control instructions on mitsubishi's website. (The dealer didn't tell me they just gave to new 14 digits).

You are absolutely right Mac - a crib sheet or checklist would be a simple thing resolve this.

Claymore said:
Thanks for that Steve....mine's going in to Luscombe's for its second service in a couple of weeks time and if I fail to get preheat 'er indoors will give me GBH of the ear!

JimB

That's a bit of a trek from Chesterfield isn't it Claymore? Unless you work in Leeds or something? Barnsley Harrats is closer to you and jt's just off the M1. I know this because my lease company mistakenly booked my service there until I got them to change to Luscombes :D
Isn't there a dealer near you?

Steve.

Mine is still on a 10 digit wifi code but I started to get an issue where my phone would connect but when the app started it disconnected. It was working fine previously.

I tried the other I app but that said it was the wrong version (presume because I still have 10 digit code) anyway I went back to the previous app and am now in a situation where it says "the maximum number of device registrations has been exceeded. Please delete one"

Any ideas how I do that. As far as I can tell the app isn't registered any more as it says it needs to register but then won't let me with the error above.

since my 2nd service my wi-fi password (original one) is not being recognised, I have emailed the dealer (who mentioned nothing at the time) to see what is going on, but sounds like they have reset it to a longer string without bothering to say

Back