2014 mitsubishi phev battery range and seized calipers

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbybuttons

I purchased a 2014 phev 5 weeks ago and am wondering what miles I should be expecting to see on the ev range after a full night charge. I'm getting around 22 to 23 miles ,am a lady driver and barely go above 30 mph as it's just town driving dropping kids to school etc. I have all heating off no lights on. I have had an issue that's been diagnosed today at the garage the handbrake had completely failed and upon checking they say the 2 rear calipers had both seized on and had to be replaced (luckily I took out aa warranty). Would this impact my ev range do you think . Last week it went into the main dealer as I queried battery for them simply to ring and say yes it's fine we've put our fault tester on it and nothings coming up and our guys been out in it charged it up and got 30 miles showing(I have no idea how and when I turned the car on there was no leaves showing which was strange). It does seem low so I'm just wondering what everyone else gets after a full charge . Thanks

If the rear calipers had seized on, then yes, that would affect your range. The predicted mileage is only a "guess" (we know it as the Guessometer, on here!) depending on a lot of factors, but mostly on the previous driving style when you last drove it. I usually see around 27 miles after a full charge, but can get more or less than that depending how I drive. Usually less. Reset your odometer, and see exactly what you're getting, rather than what the Guessometer thinks. A lot of stop-start driving would lower your range, it's a heavy car to get moving from standstill. 30 miles on the Guessometer seems a bit far-fetched to me. Welcome, by the way.

You don't say what the current mileage is but, of course, with the batteries it is the number of discharges & recharges over the last 3 years which is more likely to impact on battery health, rather than distance travelled.

However, I have a similar usage pattern to you but with probably an even lower average speed as we have mostly 20mph limits here in London. I have consistently got a 25 miles range after an overnight top-up from about half charged over the last 3 years. The only time I see 30 is when I run out of useable charge and do a few on petrol. This happens when I do a round trip to north London but the return journey (after stopping there for a while) is mainly downhill to south London - so lots of coasting and regen opportunities. Although we don't know how the "guessometer" works it out, clearly this last run, using little battery, has a big impact on the calculation of predicted range next time I get in the car.

So, if you are doing local driving with breaks, it is going to be the last trip home before you charge that will have the biggest influence, especially if it is uphill.

NB. You also don't say which part of the country you are in, as the exterrnal temperature makes a difference - lower actual range in cold weather, better in summer.

As others have said, ignore the figure on the range estimator - it is usually pretty inaccurate - and almost always optimistic rather than pessimistic. The headline figure of 30-something miles is possible - just about - but not with what most people would regard as a realistic pattern of usage. I got 30 just once - when the car was a couple of weeks old, in mid-summer on a warm, but not hot, day, with the air-con off, cruising on clear, flat roads at a steady 30mph. My "normal operation" is moderate traffic, climate control set to 21 degrees, a mix of roads and not driving particularly gently - I reckon I'm doing OK if I get 22 miles, and that figure has not changed noticeably over the three year life of the car.

Thanks were in the Midlands UK so it's not overly cold. The cars done 74k miles so were guessing it's mainly been done on petrol before we had it and have no idea how much it was charged (probably not a lot though seeing as it was a company car ).I've been using it a bit today more than I usually would and trying to drive b0 mode as much as possible with lots of coasting. This area is pretty flat so not much chance of regen. This morning's full charge only said 20 miles. I'll see exactly what miles I'm getting by using the trip meter instead of relying on the guessing machine .

Bobbybuttons said:
Thanks were in the Midlands UK so it's not overly cold. The cars done 74k miles so were guessing it's mainly been done on petrol before we had it and have no idea how much it was charged (probably not a lot though seeing as it was a company car ).I've been using it a bit today more than I usually would and trying to drive b0 mode as much as possible with lots of coasting. This area is pretty flat so not much chance of regen. This morning's full charge only said 20 miles. I'll see exactly what miles I'm getting by using the trip meter instead of relying on the guessing machine .

By all means experiment with the B settings, but don't expect much of an effect. The only things that make a significant difference to the EV range are turning off the climate control and having a very light right foot. Gentle acceleration, moderate your speed and plan well ahead to avoid having to brake!

jaapv said:
All correct , but a seized brake calliper may well impact range and mpg negatively.
We will find out I'm hoping it'll be better . The calipers have been released just got to remember to not use the handbrake until it's fixed early next week.

maby said:
Bobbybuttons said:

By all means experiment with the B settings, but don't expect much of an effect. The only things that make a significant difference to the EV range are turning off the climate control and having a very light right foot. Gentle acceleration, moderate your speed and plan well ahead to avoid having to brake!
The guy at the main dealers told me never to go above the letter O in the eco range if I can help it. I don't like coasting though and I won't use the climate control as it takes 7 miles straight off the range.

[The guy at the main dealers told me never to go above the letter O in the eco range if I can help it. I don't like coasting though and I won't use the climate control as it takes 7 miles straight off the range.[/quote]
Good advice, but I think you'll find that difficult to achieve in daily driving. Unless you never want to get out of side turnings or onto roundabouts. Not to mention being tailgated constantly! :D

Just been to check as the battery's charged and it's showing the highest I've ever had 26 mile's, I'm so happy :lol:

The weather is starting to warm up here, and my guess-ometer was showing 50 km after a charge this week.

:mrgreen:

AndyInOz said:
The weather is starting to warm up here, and my guess-ometer was showing 50 km after a charge this week.

:mrgreen:

Mine showed 58 a couple of days ago, and 51 yesterday.... the 58 was a day after I had it serviced and that day I drove in save mode for the 160km round trip to the workshop, the battery range left was about 20km when I got home and plugged it into the charger.

Incidentally, I have done a few more tests on "kWh charge in" vs km driven, and it always works out very close to 200Wh/km, so in my case that works out that I can expect around 45km for a 9kWh charge. It hasn't changed much in the 2 years I have owned this car.

Well I unplugged the car last night after i had the 26 mile's showing and this morning it had gone down to 23 miles so it suddenly lost 3 miles just being sat a few hours. No pre set heaters etc set surely this can't be right ?

Bobbybuttons said:
Well I unplugged the car last night after i had the 26 mile's showing and this morning it had gone down to 23 miles so it suddenly lost 3 miles just being sat a few hours. No pre set heaters etc set surely this can't be right ?

Ignore the numbers on the screen - they really are meaningless - the only one that matters is the actual distance you travel before it is flat!

Bobbybuttons said:
Doesn't feel right, but it is a common experience. Sorry.

It may just be that the battery is colder in the morning...

I'm fairly sure that others have posted that they have "gained charge" as the battery warms up.

I've only been a PHEV owner for a month but I've already learned to take the guessometer with a large pinch of salt. Its estimating method is undocumented but it evidently makes assumptions based on recent use (driving style, heater usage etc). For example yesterday it said 25 miles. Today it says 33 (both figures with heater off) The only reason I can see for the difference is yesterday I used all the electric miles at speeds below 50mph, and mostly below 40. It is probably assuming I'm going to do the same today, but if instead I drive it on the motorway at 70 it's obviously going to do a lot less.

Steve

I think we can / should give the range meter a little bit more credit. Or those in normal ICE cars a little bit less.

In a normal ICE car I can drive to my office and back about 10 times. This means that IN AVERAGE the driving conditions between two consecutive tanks of gas will not change all that much. With the PHEV I can drive to the office on a single charge. Or back. In general this means I have head wind on one charge and tail wind on the next. For others, it may mean gaining altitude on one charge and loosing altitude on the next. Light traffic on one, heavy traffic on the next. And so on. Quite difficult to get that sorted out :p :)

After factoring in wind myself, I think my 'guessometer' is not doing such a bad job at all. But this is because, apart from wind, traffic conditions in the morning do not differ much from the afternoon.

What I do recognise though it to over-estimation right after the charge process has completed. But these days I do not check range right after charging.

Back