Electric Heater

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummylula

Most probably a silly question but how do you know if your Mitsubishi Outlander phev has an electric heater? The car was first registered in May 2015 and the log book says the model is GX 4H PHEV Auto. It was purchased 2nd hand.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

As far as I know, all GX4H models were built with electric heaters. If the car supports pre-heat, then it must have the electric heater fitted and working - it will never start the engine unattended to generate heat - that could be very dangerous if it is parked in a confined space.

Turn the heating on to a high temperature and see if the EV range prediction drops.

Steve

Daff said:
Turn the heating on to a high temperature and see if the EV range prediction drops.
I believe it is predominantly (if not totally) the electric A/C that affects predicted EV range, not electric heating. Make sure you turn off A/C before performing this test. If EV range drops (which I do not expect in either case), you have an electric heater. If it does not drop, you don't know for sure, IMHO.

Also, do not crank it up to high, as it may result in an unwanted ICE start :mrgreen:

That's not what I've seen so far, putting heating on draws about 3kW and adding AC makes relatively little difference. But I haven't had the car in summer so maybe if it is hot out the AC draws more.

Steve

By the way surprising you don't expect EV range to drop. I see a drop of several miles.

Edit: assuming the car has MMCS, watching the power drain of turning on heater will be a more reliable way to tell than the range.

Steve

Yes, unless the AC is coming on without showing the snowflake symbol. I've unlinked the AC from auto mode, so it should only come on when the AC button has been pressed, as far as I know.

Steve

Daff said:
Yes, unless the AC is coming on without showing the snowflake symbol. I've unlinked the AC from auto mode, so it should only come on when the AC button has been pressed, as far as I know.
I will check again tomorrow, but I am / was pretty sure that with my (2013) PHEV, predicted range is only affected by A/C and not by heating.

My unscientific test shows heater costs approx a third of the guessometer EV range.

https://youtu.be/kYB6UDC7h6A

The settings are AC switching in manual mode, and "eco" as opposed to comfort mode. I haven't tried comfort mode.

Steve

Nice. Did the same this morning / this afternoon. Mine doesn't do that. It responds to A/C on / off by reducing EV range with approx 25 - 30%. But it does not respond to heater on/off, regardless of A/C setting.

I guess the difference is that I have a pre-facelift model and you a post-facelift model (IIRC). To me it makes more sense when heating is taken into account when calculating range, especially because heating can take much more power then A/C can. Perhaps it is a bug / omission they fixed during the facelift.

I am driving 2018 PHEV GT Model

Unless the required int temperature is set to a value higher than the ambient temperature the heater will not turn on. The fan will come on but not the heater.

Same for the A/C. For cooling to occur the required temperature must be set lower than the ambient temperature

From various youtubes I have viewed over the last 2 years the above noted operation is the same for all years of the PHEV.

anko said:
With A/C on, how are you preventing it from either heating or cooling?

Currently winter time here. below -20'C most days.

A/C will not run cause Ambient Temp too cold.

When I press the Defrost Button to clear the windshield the Snow Flake does comes on. Turn off Defrost Snowflake goes off.

I have been noticing poor interior Heat. Have to investigate further to see what the best mode is to use to get some good interior heat.

Today was -24'C I had to set the Temp to 28'C but still felt cool. Got lots of heat when I pressed the Charge Button but can't be doing that too often or I will drain my fuel tank fast.

Back