problem with ev cable Rolec

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevort

can anybody explain what the microswtch is for inside the car plug on the cable from a Rolec wallpod charger as after only 2 years the cable fail and a replacement cost £160 ,told by Rolec that would be the problem and a new cable did solve it

It switches off the current when the cable is not locked in. Mine in a Ratio cable failed and a replacement microswitch cost less than 2 Euro on Conrad.

Micro switch also failed after 6 months at vehicle plug end on my cable purchased on ebay. Showed connected on dashboard but would not charge. My sparky friend had a go at replacing the micro switch without success as there was no part no, on it.
Purchased a replacement from EV Cables 15 months ago, so far so good!
Big John

GX3+
Orient Red
Named "Sparky"
Electric Hoist in rear.
Tow bar fitted.

would joining the micro switch wires together making the cable live all the time cause big problems and be to dangerous to use ?

That would cause arcing on the mains pins if the car was drawing current when you pulled the plug. I'm not sure if it would cause other problems with the J1772 signalling protocols, as well.

trevort said:
would joining the micro switch wires together making the cable live all the time cause big problems and be to dangerous to use ?
Not a very good idea. It makes the cable more safe in wet conditions. The connector is splash-proof when plugged in, but you do not want the contacts to be live when they are exposed to rain.

vickers7893 said:
Micro switch also failed after 6 months at vehicle plug end on my cable purchased on ebay. Showed connected on dashboard but would not charge. My sparky friend had a go at replacing the micro switch without success as there was no part no, on it.
Purchased a replacement from EV Cables 15 months ago, so far so good!
Big John

GX3+
Orient Red
Named "Sparky"
Electric Hoist in rear.
Tow bar fitted.
Well, I just bought one that looked about right and with some filing and glueing it was a good fit. These things are pretty generic.

As Regulo said, it would / could cause arcing when pulling out the plug while the car is still charging.

But that is about it, because the main wires will not be live as long as the plug is not connected, regardless of the state of the switch. Doubts? When you have unplugged the cable and release the button, the micro switch is also closed. Only during the short time of plugging in and out, the switch is open ;-). Indeed to prevent arcing when pulling out the adapter.

Only when the plug is connected and the car tells the charger it (a) is connected and (b) indeed wants to draw power, the contactor is activated and the wires will be hot. A and B are done by connecting the pilot signal of the charger to ground signal, over different resistors. All the switch does is disconnect the pilot signal from the pilot pin, so the car can no longer connect the pilot signal to the ground signal. Even when the plug falls into a pool of water that happens to have the exact same resistance as the resistors used by the car, the charger will know the difference, as a so called diode check has been implemented (if you have a decent charger, that is).

I would hope (but am not sure) that the plugs and receptors are designed in such way that the pilot pin (or receptor) is shorter than the other pins (or receptors) so the pilot signal is interrupted before the other pins are disconnected. If this was true, the car would stop charging / the contacter in the charge station would be released even before arcing could occur.
BTW 1: I have used a cable with a short circuited micro switch for quite a while without issues.
BTW: If you have a less decent charger that has not implemented the diode check, a Tesla will not be able to charge with that charger.

I didn't think of that... Anyway arcing is certainly not something you want around in the presence of (potentially) petrol fumes.

Don't you always turn off at the charging point before disconnecting the cables?

maby said:
Don't you always turn off at the charging point before disconnecting the cables?
Uhhhh .....

Well, for sure you should not unplug the house side plug while charging. Arcing is guaranteed and so is damage to your plug and / or socket in the long run. Also, the car will report a "power interrupted" error. But the car side plug? Pushing the release button does already terminate the charging process. Nothing to worry about. My mobile charger (Ratio) does not even have the option to shut it down).

When charging at commercial AC chargers, I tend to swipe my car before unplugging either of the plugs. But that is more a concern that perhaps my session is not properly terminated and I pay more then needed. Or something like that.

My charging point is operated by a key which I carry on the same keyring as the car key fob - I always turn it off before disconnecting the cable.

anko said:
... When charging at commercial AC chargers, I tend to swipe my car before unplugging either of the plugs...
Hi Anko,
may I offer you a tiny little "d" in this reply for avoiding exhaustion, when you swipe your car(d) next time?
:), Harald

Harald said:
anko said:
... When charging at commercial AC chargers, I tend to swipe my car before unplugging either of the plugs...
Hi Anko,
may I offer you a tiny little "d" in this reply for avoiding exhaustion, when you swipe your car(d) next time?
:), Harald
Thanks a bunch. It explains a lot. :lol:

jaapv said:
It switches off the current when the cable is not locked in. Mine in a Ratio cable failed and a replacement microswitch cost less than 2 Euro on Conrad.

Thanks for the tip. My cable stopped working. Just checked the micro switch and its looking a little charred
Got one on order

Back