High Level Stop Light removal

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xomegaman

I have been cleaning out the dreaded green algae from the rear light clusters by removing them and taking them into the garage to clean. Traffic film remover and dental floss seems to do a fair job but I also have a heavy build up of algae in the high level stop light and want to take it out to clean round the rim but I just can't see how it unclips and don't want to risk breaking a clip etc especially as it is cold☺.

Does anyone know how it unclips? The manual says if it fails the dealer has to sort it as I assume it is led not a bulb so no user serviceable parts inside so it doesn't tell you how to remove - but it must come out somehow?

Thanks

Steve
MY15 GX4H

It's a slightly scary pushfit into its orifice. Maybe spray it with silicone spray or WD40 from the inside before you try and pop it out? I seem to remember you can see how its held in from the inside if you unclip the rather wobbly interior trim from the tailgate interior, which is held on by nasty, snappy plastic popper clips. Although as you mention probably not a good idea to try this on a cold day as the plastics will be brittle. Even when the light is off the vehicle you still can't clean off the algae properly though. I smeared mine with Mr Sheen (shines umpteen things clean) before I put it back on to assist its passage, as I always do those nasty plastic popper clips that all car manufacturers so love to use these days.

The brake light is a remarkably poor piece of design I'm afraid. It's not as if Mitsubishi haven't been confronted with the task of making a light before. There's a longish post about the algae probem elsewhere on 'Technical Discussions'.

Thanks for that. I think it will be a job for the spring - or an exceptionally sunny winters day. I did gently put a plastic trim remover under each side and lever and there was movement- perhaps a war up with the hair dryer first.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Actually I looked at my high level lens the other day and it now seems to have quite a lot of green algae along the bottom edge. I'm considering the idea of soaking it in some kind of algae destroying chemical (like a mild bleach solution or some Patio Magic) and then maybe filling the offending void with some silicone bathroom sealant in the hope that this would prevent the algae reforming. Trouble is though if it doesn't prevent the algae reforming then It'll be even harder to clean in the future - if not impossible. This shouldn't really of course be a procedure that is necessary on a 3 year old car!

Found this......

high_level_brake_lamp.jpg

MrPastry said:
Found this......

Could you possibly divulge where? I'd like to see that upper trim removal page - I'd like to route my rear dash cam cable without destroying that trim's clips.

If you are going to remove the trim, it's well worth buying a trim removal tool. I bought a set for about £10 & removed the dash trim easily without leaving any marks.

This shows where the tailgate fixings are;

trim_removal.jpg

I have a much simpler solution. I use an injection syringe and put some Chlorine solution (NaClO 3.5%) in the gaps. Rinse with water after 1 hour. All algae gone

MrPastry said:
If you are going to remove the trim, it's well worth buying a trim removal tool. I bought a set for about £10 & removed the dash trim easily without leaving any marks.

This shows where the tailgate fixings are;

That was perfect thanks - trim removed successfully, and cable routed very easily from there all the way to the front unit along the left hand trim/headliner seam.

Back