Android Remote App Problems

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g8osn

I've just 'converted' to an Android, a Moto G5S.

I had (well still have) the Remote App for the PHEV working on my iPhone but, after repeated attempts, the G5S will not register.

I can connect to the vehicle Wifi.

I can get 'into' the registration mode fine.

However, the app will not register with the vehicle.

I'm within 10mins, in Acc mode, I've checked the password, all the obvious things.

I've looked at the Mitsubsishi notes on their website- they refer to some issues and recommend setting some options but those don't seem to be available.

I really don't want to carry two phones!

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Brian

It works well on my G3 but I tried to set it up on my wife's G4 and it didn't work. I managed to connect once. I think it may be to do with the Android version. My 3 is on Marshmallow. The 4 is on Nougat. The app tries to manage the WiFi connection intelligently (to prevent the phone trying to use it except for the app) and my guess is Android 7 and later changed the way WiFi connections work such that this is thwarted.... Basically the phone does not want to use a connection that has no internet connectivity.

I will be trying again over the weekend and will let you know if I get it to work.

Steve

I got the G4 to connect successfully by doing this. Disclaimer: I am an mobile developer, and doing scary stuff to phones doesn't bother me, because it's my job :) Don't mess with adb unless you read up enough to be confident first.

[EDIT: I don't recommend this after all. See later message. But leaving it here in case someone finds a way to use this]
* Put phone into developer mode
* adb shell
* settings put global captive_portal_detection_enabled 0

See the notes at this page (not specific to Outlander remote, but a similar problem): https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/100657/how-to-disable-captive-portal-detection-how-to-remove-exclamation-mark-on-wi-fi

Deleted the AP from WiFi settings, ran the PHEV app and re-entered the password (always let the app set up the AP, don't do it from Settings).

Now the app does what it does on my Marshmallow phone - it automatically switches to the vehicle AP when starting the PHEV app, and falls back to home AP when the app closes. There is still a problem though. When out in the car and the car's AP is the only one in range, Android automatically chooses it, and obviously it doesn't have outside connectivity, but it prevents mobile data from working. I have some ideas on how to work around that, but nothing concrete yet. Interestingly enough Marshmallow allows mobile data through in that situation.

-- Steve

It's such a shame that Mitsubishi didn't put a button on the keyfob to activate remote preheating, because that is all I want to do, and there is no way to do it without using the annoying app.

Steve

I couldn't find a way to prevent it auto-connecting to the Outlander's wifi, so I have now reverted that captive_portal_detection_enabled change on my wife's phone. I don't recommend trying it, after all.

I am going to suggest she uses this manual workaround, which seems to work on the G4 and isn't *too* painful (for occasional use, anyway).

But first, go into Settings -> WiFi and see what the REMOTExxyyyy entry says. It should say "No Internet access detected. Won't reconnect automatically". And if you tap the cogwheel icon at the top of that screen, and select "Saved networks", then it should say "Saved by Remote Ctrl". If either of these isn't the case, then forget the network, run the Remote Control app , and let it rebuild the network entry. (Don't put the password into WiFi settings screen - it seems to be important to let the app manage the entry). Chances are you'll be able to connect this first time, but not if you exit the app and run it again.

OK, so the workaround: each time you want to control the car, first go to WiFi Settings and manually choose REMOTExxyyyy". After a short pause, the phone should pop up a message saying "no internet access. Tap for options". Tap this, and in the resulting popup press "YES" but leave the "Don't ask again" unticked (important!)

Now go ahead and start Remote Control app. It should connect (still takes up to 10 seconds, but this is normal). When you've finished, make sure you exit the app with the "Back" button (triangle icon) and not by any other method. Don't let the app go to background. Exiting the app forces the REMOTExxyyyy connection to be dropped, and your phone should revert to your home WiFi (or mobile data, if no WiFi is in range).

Don't be tempted to tick that "Don't ask again" box, because then your phone will connect to the Outlander even when you are not using the app.

It is less trouble than it appears from the above. You have to manually select the network, but at least you don't have to manually deselect it. I will look again for a way to automate this, but I spent a fair while googling today with no joy. If I find a way I'll update this thread.

-- Steve

Hi

Firstly can I please join this thread. Earlier this year I successfully registered my Phev with the remote control app, but I am struggling to do this today. These are my steps below

1) Open the Phev Remote App( v 2.9) and enter the SSID and Password but didn't press enter. Note, the Pixel is still auto connected to the house wifi.

2)Enter ACC mode on car

-Foot on break -> Power Button -> Foot off break and press Power Button twice -> Orange indicator

-On key fob press Lock and Unlock alternately 5 times each until the bleep.

- Press Enter on App to submit previously entered, SSID and Password.

- Wait and wait and ...... :roll: How long am I meant to wait before giving up?

I then connected the Phone to the Car hotspot and repeated the above

Are you using the right version of the app? There are three different ones in Google Play. Mine is a 2016 like yours and the app I am using has Version A.1.4.0 shown in the splash screen.

If you have had a service done recently then they might have reprogrammed the WiFi module with a longer password. I think you need a different app for that.

Steve

Hi

Thanks for replying. I wondered about the app version however, I am using the same version as you. I have had the first service so this could an issue with password. I wonder if this is written down anywhere as all I have is the original SSID and password details as enclosed in the owners folder.
Does the phone need to be connected to the PHev hotspot before registering with the app?

Another thing to watch out for...

During the registration process, I got caught because I was doing the registration at home.

About half way through the process, my tablet was re-connecting to my home network!

To prevent this from happening, I had to tell it to "forget" that connection until after I had finished setting up the app.

Log on to the PHEV with IPhone and check there's one of the registered device in settings - see the Mitsu website for removing a device.

after many failed attempts and frustrations using my iphone5s, i managed to connect to the car using my old iphone4. it used to connect with the iphone5s, however after few updates from apple to the 5s it stopped working so i reckon it will only connect with the old operating system. if you have android try an old android phone with an old operating system. i hope this helps

Just bought a new (old) tablet off Amazon for £50 with Android at 7.1 (all my new phones are at 8), connected first time to the App (I use Phev1 as only a 10 digit SSID code). Only issue I have now is it likes the car wifi so much that my location services suffer to only being GPS and not wifi when using any other app such as Watchdog

i've got the outlander phev gx4hs 2014 64 plate.

I used to use the app on my Samsung Galaxy S5. earlier on this year I switched to Huawei P Smart 2019. I couldn't get the app to work and register the device (yes I followed the whole de-registering with hazards on in ACC mode and lock/unlock x10, then registering new device in Acc mode lock/unlock x5). just would not connect! i went to the dealer they wanted £50 to sort it. so i thought i'll do without the app for now and just set the preheat on a timer, now we're getting into winter

now they released the new version of the app, installed that, trying to pair the device and getting error code 2104:No security update
called the dealer, they want £89.99 to update the security on the car and said takes an hour...
it pains me to pay £90 for someone to plug in a laptop and push out a firmware update which is a 3-5 minute job.....

has anyone else had this issue? anyone got around it??

djmoscow said:
error code 2104:No security update; they want £89.99

Hmmm, I have the same. I still have an old tablet (Android 4.4) that works so I am OK at home but my phone also comes up with the 2104 error.
I was going to contact the dealer but not if they think they can charge for it.
Surely if they have identified a 'security' issue (aka programming bug that allows hackers in) then the update should be free? :x

Love the car but I must admit I feel a little let down by MMC. I used to work for them years ago and the customer was king back then; seems things have changed a little. :(

Djmoscow, email Mitsubishi customer service this should be free as the dealer can claim the cost of labour back from Mitsubishi UK as confirmed by Mitsubishi by email to me this week.

Electricdreams said:
Djmoscow, email Mitsubishi customer service this should be free as the dealer can claim the cost of labour back from Mitsubishi UK as confirmed by Mitsubishi by email to me this week.

All fine & dandy if you are in the UK but perhaps Djmoscow is not? :idea:

Hi all, I'm joining this thread since I'm a new owner of a PHEV 2019 (us & canada version) and can't register my android phone with the car using the remote app. I tried with 2 different phone (Blackberry android 6 and Motororola android 8) the motorola never succeeded connecting to the car. The Blackberry connected once when the car was in configuration mode (10 press of lock/unlock) but then was never able to connect to the car again, the application is giving me an error message about WiFi communiction settings. My salesman told me that all android have problem with the car wifi but I'm having a hard time with this statement so I'm looking for other person that use android phone with the "remote control II" app on android to confirm if it works or not and what phone and version of android is working.
Thanks!

As far as I can establish both the PHEV I and II apps have been replaced with a 'new' version for all Phev's. try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inventec.iMobile2&gl=GB from the play store if you have android 8 onwards.
However, this is only true if the security update has been applied to older Phev's! Only try the above app if you have a 14 character password.

The older PHEV I app only works with old versions of Android, I have an old 4.4 tablet connected for now and that works OK but later android versions do not i.e. my phone on V8.0 will not connect.

The whole thing is a bit hit and miss and as an Android developer I find the app pretty feeble both in its design and operation, that said it was nice to be able to demist my car from the comfort of my sitting room this morning.

That's the app I have installed but the name once installed still display "Remote Ctrl", my car is a brand new 2019 (Canada version) with a 14 digit passcode. I'm beeing very frustrated by this app compared to the app used on my 2014 chevrolet Cruze which work from anywhere since the car has a built-in internet access and into which I just put my car serial number and it can talk with the car instantaneously.
What version of android are you running and on what brand of phone?

Back