Carplay GPS

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

The Carplay head (2017 Juro) has a facility to look at GPS performance, ie numer and quality of satellites being recieved. To my knowledge the car/ head unit has no functionality that would make use of GPS so anyone know why the car has a GPS receiver?

I seem to remember reading in the PHEV specifications online that early CarPlay installations did have Sat Nav although I may be wrong

I'm not sure about CarPlay, but Android Auto enables the phone to use the car's GPS receiver to get a fix, instead of the phone's built in GPS. The rationale is that the car can have an external GPS antenna, which makes an enormous difference compared with your phone inside the car. And I suppose at least potentially can supplement the satellite fix with dead reckoning to help in tunnels etc. I would not be surprised if CarPlay has the same ability.

Steve

That would make sense. Unfortunately I think Apple have their operating system a bit more tied down and I don't think that is possible.

I shall just wait for a stable jailbreak for IOS11 which will allow me to use any of the phone's apps via carplay, including the SatNav

Back