Towing UK vs US Spec Capacity Difference

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffceo

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this: The US and UK spec Outlander PHEV both have basically the same specifications. However, the towing weight capacity is quite different. The UK spec is 3,300 LBS / 1,500 KGS while the US spec is 1,500 LBS or 682 KGS! The US has a towing capacity of less than half the UK version. Does anyone know why? Thanks!

In nz it's 750kgs

Mitsubishi nz say its down to us having common steep hills which are harder to tow up.

Know someone who just towed 600kg 1000 kms here had to have charge on and make sure battery was full for the hills.

jeffceo said:
I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this: The US and UK spec Outlander PHEV both have basically the same specifications. However, the towing weight capacity is quite different. The UK spec is 3,300 LBS / 1,500 KGS while the US spec is 1,500 LBS or 682 KGS! The US has a towing capacity of less than half the UK version. Does anyone know why? Thanks!

Makes no sense why the Towing Capacity for Canada and for USA are down to 1500lbs where in Most of Europe it is at 1500Kgs except perhaps for the fact that the Outlander PHEV is new to North America and Mitsubishi Canada and Mitsubishi USA are being Cautious and Gun Shy about allowing the towing Capacity to be as high as 1500kgs.

We in North America need to continue contacting our Dealerships and asking for a valid Explanation.

Yes I was quite surprised when I saw the marketing boasting about 1,500 LB towing capacity in North America when it is 1,500 KGS in Europe! On Youtube there are videos of people towing good sized campers/caravans that are surely over 1,500 LBS not to mention the wind resistance of a trailer that large. Some people are even towing them in EV mode for part of the trip. It seems that the PHEV has the horsepower and torque for more than the stated towing capacity. I was hoping to tow my boat (2,700 LBS / 1,227 KGS fully loaded) occasionally on a 20 mile trip.

It all comes down to different requirements and a different testing process for North America. I don't think the physical characteristics of the vehicle are any different than the EU version, but the governing body that decides what's safe to tow with it is different. I have no doubt that we can tow far more than 1500 lbs, but we would likely be held liable if there was an accident when doing so.

In the uk I can tow my pony about 10 miles on ev. I use charge though on longer runs and definitely try to avoid steep hills. The set up is about 1400kg...
H

Hypermiler said:
In the uk I can tow my pony about 10 miles on ev. I use charge though on longer runs and definitely try to avoid steep hills. The set up is about 1400kg...
H

Is the pony able to return the favour? :lol:

Hypermiler said:
H
I purposely took my car + caravan to the hills in Limburg where they have some backroads that are beyond 1:6 (17%). We (4 adults in the car, caravan hooked up) stopped at the steepest section and performed several hill starts. Although it is not quick, it is very comforting. No burning rubber, no burning clutches, no boiling transmission fluids, it just takes of. And it easily does that 4 times in a row. I think it is quite capable.

I'm towing a rather large boggi boat trailer 1470 kg with boat. I cannot reach a destination 90 km away if I don't use the charge button a lot.
Using the save button (to use the ICE and try to maintain the charge) will empty the battery before the destination, driving 80 km/h without much hills on the way.

Maybe the US version is downrated because America is already GREAT and Americans like large boats and large campers.
But the main reason must be Mitsubishi don't want to be sued by all the expensive US lawyers ...
Look at the dieselgate case. Volkswagen got away with it here in Europe but not in US!

johanf said:
I'm towing a rather large boggi boat trailer 1470 kg with boat. I cannot reach a destination 90 km away if I don't use the charge button a lot.
Using the save button (to use the ICE and try to maintain the charge) will empty the battery before the destination, driving 80 km/h without much hills on the way.

Maybe the US version is downrated because America is already GREAT and Americans like large boats and large campers.
But the main reason must be Mitsubishi don't want to be sued by all the expensive US lawyers ...
Look at the dieselgate case. Volkswagen got away with it here in Europe but not in US!
You should ALWAYS use Charge mode when towing something decent.

But can you define"cannot reach a destination 90 km away"? Because even with a depleted battery the car should cope. Unless you are racing uphill ...

anko said:
johanf said:
But can you define"cannot reach a destination 90 km away"? Because even with a depleted battery the car should cope. Unless you are racing uphill ...

Hi anko!
Sorry, this meaning was in my brain but I didn't type all of it. It should have been like this: "I cannot reach a destination 90 km away without emtying the battery if I don't use the charge button a lot." It is not enough to use the save button.

When pulling up the boat trailer on a steep ramp or a soft lake bottom, there is a need to still have power in the battery.

johanf said:
It should have been like this: "I cannot reach a destination 90 km away without emtying the battery if I don't use the charge button a lot." It is not enough to use the save button.
Yes, that makes sense. Save aims at maintaining SOC and Charge aims at increasing SOC. But Save makes much less an effort than Charge does. Effectively, when Towing, Charge comes close to what Save should be, but only close. You will still loose charge over time.

johanf said:
anko said:
johanf said:
When pulling up the boat trailer on a steep ramp or a soft lake bottom, there is a need to still have power in the battery.
I wouldn't worry abut that to much. By the time you hit 20% SOC (keep in mind: this is 10% below than an empty gauge!) the car will use serial mode to allow the ICE to make more REVs and increase SOC somewhat. But even at 20%, when you floor it, the battery will still provide plenty of power to support the ICE when needed.

And if it makes you feel more comfortable, just leave the engine running when arriving at the lake. By the time you are ready to pull the empty trailer out of the water, there should be plenty of SOC.

johanf said:
This seems a plausible reason; too many eager lawyers :cry:

However what really wonders me is the difference in tongue weight.
Australia allows 150 kg, but everywhere else it's like 75 kg?
That makes for a 750 kg trailer weight, if you aim for 10% tongue load.
So what is the issue with the tongue load :?:

We (in the Netherlands) do not aim for 10%. 5% is on the low side, but can still be safe when load is properly distributed over the trailer (near the axle).

Sites the Australian value perhaps assume / require installation of a weight distribution kit?

anko said:
We (in the Netherlands) do not aim for 10%. 5% is on the low side, but can still be safe when load is properly distributed over the trailer (near the axle).
I know, but my North American made trailer is designed with 10% tongue weight (axle more aft).
It's why you have a speed restriction for towing in NL as opposed to N.A., where you can go 130 km/h with trailer.
anko said:
Sites the Australian value perhaps assume / require installation of a weight distribution kit?
As HHL mentioned it was not recommended, so the hitch actually can be loaded with 150 kg. (Did not see any mentioning on the dealer site for a WDH).
Therefore my question: what makes the Ausi PHEV special :?:
And more importantly, can we do the same? :geek:

Back