Low current charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scanman

Hi All,

I am a proud owner of a Mitsubishi PHEV and have recently come home from a trip around Europe with a caravan. Most times in the UK I can use the camping site power supply to charge the car (10A over 5 hrs) Problems arise in Europe when the campsite power trips at 6A, sometimes 4A. Often I am unable to use the electric kettle.

I would therefore like to know if an EVSE has ever been created to only use a low current, say 4A. I would be happy to use it in the above circumstances by charging overnight for 8 hrs or more.

As Jaap said, 6 Amps EVSEs exist. I have a RATIO portable EVSE for the exact same reason. Been able to use it on every campsite I have ever visited with my PHEV.

I don't believe the EVSE standard supports < 6 amps. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772.

I'm charging the Outlander here at home with energy from my own photovoltaic solar energy plant.
I try to control the charging station automatically, so the charging current is not more than the produced amount.
In the winter often it is not possible to produce 1.3 kW - the minimum of the Outlander at 230 V / 6 A.

What is the charging power at 110 V?

If the current is adjustable from 6 A to 15 A, like at 230 V, it would be 660 W to 1650 W.
Is that true? Is it possible to charge the outlander with only 660 W at 110 V?
I'm building another solar plant with 24 V DC now, and I'm thinking about a 24 V charging station for the Outlander.
If this way less power is possible, I would produce 110 V instead of 230 V from the 24 V - System.

Paul

PaulFromDe said:
What is the charging power at 110 V?
Ok, i found the answer myself, in Mitsubishi's Canadian specifications:
Charging Time:120V / 8A 13.0 hours 13.0 hours
Charging Time: 120V /12A 8.0 hours 8.0 hours
Charging Time: 240V /16A EVSE 3.5 hours 3.5 hours
120V x 8 A means 960 W
So it is possible to charge the Outlander with less than 1.3 kW (minimum at 230 V) when using lower voltage.
Probably even 6 A at 110 V will be possible, what means 660 W. Yes, the charging time will be quite long.
But in the Winter with only a little amount of solar energy, it is good to know that 1.3 kW is not the absolute minimum.

Paul

Very likely. The protocol says something about minimum current and not minimum watts.

The Mitsubishi MUTIII diagnostics tool reports on # of 100v charges and # of 200v charges (rather than 120v and 240v), so you might be able to go to an even lower voltage and work with less watts or produce more amps.

Back