No regenerative braking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N6IO

Today when I started my commute, battery was almost full - no odd warnings. Set EV mode, heater off, eco off. Dash said that even with a full battery my electric range would be 14 miles. Odd because my last trip I did about 2.8 mi/kwh. Estimated gas and electric consumption were both 0. I don't reset the stats between trips.

Then I noticed that I had to go to B5 to get any noticeable regenerative deceleration. Looking at power flow - when I hit the brakes, no additional regenerative braking, just the 15kw from B5. By now my battery was down about 4 bars, so I don't think it was worried about overcharging.

Looking at PHEV Watchdog (I started it after a mile or two) it confirms the maximum regen on that trip was 16kw. Max draw seemed normal at 63kw. Battery went from 32.8Ah down to 28.6Ah when I got to work. Power seemed normal, no turtles...

Has anyone else seen regen from braking disabled when the battery was not full? Any ideas? The car is 2 weeks old with 1875 miles on it, so maybe time for service? :D

Simple explanation, when the battery if fully charged there is no where for the power from regeneration to go. Consequently for the first few kilometres after charging there is minimal regeneration.

Yup have the same every day. Start on hill with full battery no regen until there's space for the power.

I was told regen doesn't happen when 1. battery is close to full & 2. when battery is cold.
Still regen braking has been pretty constant for me. Car reviewers often give crap for hybrids for mushy brakes & clunky transition from regen to friction brakes, but the Outlander PHEV has been one of the best I've driven thus far.

I have an ongoing issue with my regen which the dealer chose not to get back to me about. But my car is over 3.5 years old has done about 44k miles so I’m suspecting a battery issue. Waiting for my obdii to arrive...
Cheers
H

Back