Tire pressure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surblom

Just bought a 2014 Outlander PHEV. It has tire pressure monitoring, but it seems you can't see the pressure for the individual tires in any display, just a error message if any tire is deviating. Is this really the case?

The TPMS sensors aren't that clever, just a sort of on/off switch that operates when the pressure drops below a certain point (don't know what that point is). They definitely work though as I recently found out (see 'unequal tread depths' post). Maybe more sophisticated systems actually display pressure (Porsche, Bentley - that sort of thing) but as one Mitsubishi PHEV sensor costs £30 I wouldn't want to have to pay for anything more sophisticated too often. There's a battery in the sensor which will maybe only last six years, and then the sensor has to be replaced as the battery can't be changed.

Like this?
image.png

Yep. Different display but certainly the number by each corner just like that :)

NightPHEVer said:
The TPMS sensors aren't that clever, just a sort of on/off switch that operates when the pressure drops below a certain point (don't know what that point is). They definitely work though as I recently found out (see 'unequal tread depths' post). Maybe more sophisticated systems actually display pressure (Porsche, Bentley - that sort of thing) but as one Mitsubishi PHEV sensor costs £30 I wouldn't want to have to pay for anything more sophisticated too often. There's a battery in the sensor which will maybe only last six years, and then the sensor has to be replaced as the battery can't be changed.
So it's going to cost £120 when four batteries go! Hmmph!

I've found it useful to have this facility when the tyres lose pressure in a cold winter: I reckon they had dropped by about 5 psi.

stripey said:
So it's going to cost £120 when four batteries go! Hmmph!
Anyone know how long the TPMS batteries might actually last?
I know its a bit old-school but I check and adjust my tyre pressure regularly as per perfectlifttip . TPMS, LDW, intelligent cruise control - hell, soon we wont have to think at all to drive a car - which I guess is the actual master plan.

The steelmate system has replaceable batteries, little tiny button cells, and mine haven't worn out yet.

The sensors don't transmit all the time, they turn on when the car starts moving and off when the car is stationary.

This confused me in a traffic jam once.

The console in the car (little screen plugged into the cigarette lighter) gave a low pressure warning for one tyre, then a second, then both of the other two tyres!!!

My first thought was that I'd run over a set of tyre spikes, then realised, that it had happened because I was stopped in traffic.

:lol:

Back