Car dead after failed software update

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trilly

Word of warning, yesterday using Android app it prompted me to update the vehicle software otherwise some functions wouldn't work. Followed the instructions to update the software and at 99% it failed. Whilst annoying everything else seemed OK except the app no longer could connect as no WiFi.

Put a call into my dealer but this morning went to use the car and nothing, couldn't open the doors other than using the emergency key, no life in the car whats so ever.

Called Mitsubishi Assistance who where great, spent 3 hours trying to sort it out and identified the auxiliary battery was dead and got some charge in it to start the car but on further checks could see what looked like a constant battery drain and concerned enough to book himself in for the next morning to see if it is OK, well it isn't, its dead again so off to the dealer to try and fix.

Checking the software version in the car instead of a version number it simply states "U" and a few things don't work, WiFi being one of them but biggest issue is being unable to use the car.

Do I know it is the failed software app that caused the issue, no, do I think it is, yes, it is the only thing that changed from a car that worked fine to one that now does not.

Sorry to hear your troubles. I dreaded this sort of thing happening before I bought PHEV since so much Software is running on the vehicle but hey even standard ICE vehicle has a lot of SW running so I bit the bullet and bought the PHEV and did the upgrade over an Android phone successfully. Hope they fix yours very quick. Do let us know how you go and what the issue was.
Cheers

Arnie

Hope you get it sorted soon :(

I toyed with the idea of updating my software yesterday when I was washing the car but thought better of it after warnings on this forum (and taking into account that I'm in a poor 3G signal area). Reading your post I'm glad I didn't.

Wonder if we might be getting a recall or similar from Mitsi in the near future on this matter...

Oh dear. I was wondering only yesterday whether anyone had had a serious problem with their car yet, requiring a return visit to the dealer - and here is one. Let's hope it is quickly and easily solved. I will keep away from software updates for now, just in case!
Thanks for letting us know
H

just found this article: faulty software drains battery....hesitation on sw update for Europe
http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-recalls-6517-outlander-phevs/

btw: I did the vehicle software update on Jul 22nd, using iPhone. Had the "screen lock" effect but this didn't cause a problem ?! ...so far the car is still alive.

The article is 4 months old, hope newly purchased vehicles are not effected, purchased 30/6/14.

I connected my iPad app this evening. It took about 4 attempts with the key fob presses before the Wi-Fi registered, but once it did I got the 'you need to update your software..' msg. Just be aware that it does mention if it fails to complete and sits at 99% for some time, it may have dropped the Wi-Fi link to the car. That is exactly what happened on mine, but as soon as I went into the setup menu and reconnected to the car's Wi-Fi signal it completed the upload and there were no further problems. Just be aware that if you terminate the app without completing the update, that might be the cause of some of the issues people have been having. Always check the Wi-Fi link is active before you give up and close the app.

A week + on and car still dead, a new control module to be fitted but this is on back order, awaiting date for delivery. Mitsubishi though have been great and sorted out a car whilst ours is being worked on.

trilly said:
A week + on and car still dead, a new control module to be fitted but this is on back order, awaiting date for delivery. Mitsubishi though have been great and sorted out a car whilst ours is being worked on.

I would have thought that was the least they could do, really!

Chrisdy said:
I connected my iPad app this evening. It took about 4 attempts with the key fob presses before the Wi-Fi registered, but once it did I got the 'you need to update your software..' msg. Just be aware that it does mention if it fails to complete and sits at 99% for some time, it may have dropped the Wi-Fi link to the car. That is exactly what happened on mine, but as soon as I went into the setup menu and reconnected to the car's Wi-Fi signal it completed the upload and there were no further problems. Just be aware that if you terminate the app without completing the update, that might be the cause of some of the issues people have been having. Always check the Wi-Fi link is active before you give up and close the app.

Does anyone know how big the download is? I'm thinking I may do this update at the dealer then if anything bad happens they can work it out lol.

Any other people updated and it's safe to do?

I had my car booked in for its first inspection/service last Thursday, and as part of that service I had requested a software update. I had to explain to the service rep what it is I wanted, demonstrating the issue on my android, when I dropped the vehicle off. When I picked it up, I was told that the service guys were reluctant to do it, as they did not have the experience! Guess that leaves us consumers to take the risk!

Gabe said:
I had my car booked in for its first inspection/service last Thursday, and as part of that service I had requested a software update. I had to explain to the service rep what it is I wanted, demonstrating the issue on my android, when I dropped the vehicle off. When I picked it up, I was told that the service guys were reluctant to do it, as they did not have the experience! Guess that leaves us consumers to take the risk!

One might have hoped that they could flash it over a hardwired connection into the diagnostic port rather than having to rely on the demonstrably dodgy route via a smart phone or tablet. If they have to do the same as us, then it understandable that they are reluctant. Do all models have usb ports for memory sticks? If so, the best solution from Mitsubishi would have been to code it up so that it attempted to boot from a suitable image on any USB connected device. That would give us a let out if a software upgrade should fail.

OK, those that followed this thread or at least reading it for the first time will be pleased to know car is now working after 2 weeks. The problem was down to a faulty Control Module that was not even allowing the dealer to communicate with the car electronically. Once this was replaced everything worked as it should do.

The delay was caused mainly due to the part being on back order as not in stock. I am not sure if this was because they had run out or that it was not something they normally stock.

Anyway Mitsubishi where very good in providing me with alternative transport that allowed us to continue our holiday and did everything they could to ensure we where happy. Whilst it was disappointing that the car did fail Mitsubishi handled themselves very well and pleased the aftersales service delivered.

Sorry to dredge an old topic, but did you pay for the tow and associated costs etc. or did the dealer?

I'm thinking of doing it on Wednesday as that day I'm at home and can do something about it if it fails, but I just wanted to make sure.

thegurio said:
Sorry to dredge an old topic, but did you pay for the tow and associated costs etc. or did the dealer?

I'm thinking of doing it on Wednesday as that day I'm at home and can do something about it if it fails, but I just wanted to make sure.

Nop. all covered under Mitsubishi Assistance, just be sure to dig out the details before you try it, but was very happy with the service I received.

I know its slightly old now but thought i would Warn others
Picked my car up Saturday, I Recieved the message to update my software that night via my Galaxy s4 PHEV App. It
Got to 70% and quoted Lost contact with Car Retry ? then progressed to 100% and stated update successful, Wi-Fi Now Dead in the car :roll: wish I had read the Posts first :cry:
Got it booked into the dealer on Thursday, (48 Hrs post update) car Aux battery not flat yet so still useable ill update on what they find..

P.s I am also in a poor Cellphone signal area as mentioned previously in this thread, anyone know if the App is downloading in real time or pre downloading the update ?

If I have the phone connected to the car I do not have Internet access so I am pretty sure the app downloads the update prior to update.

Your problem seems more to be that you phone lost connection to the car. But in my opinion the car should have dealt with that also. Maybe reboot the phone and try a couple of times more?

I updated my PHEV from a super old Samsung S2 LTE without problem.

Well I got my car back and had a good chat with the service team , they replaced the whole ECU as this contains the Wi-Fi module used to connect remotely and also the control module for the Climate timer, the settings were now available (I did not realise the Timer menu’s were not available in the MMCS when faulty) , Its working fine now, During the discussions with the service team they confirmed the loss of connection meant the Eprom in the ECU was part flashed with the update. this got me thinking about why the connection to the car might have been lost. My Android Galaxy S4 phone has automatic connection to a preferred Wi-Fi capability and also Network switching, my home Wi-Fi is stored in my phone as auto connect and I suspect that although I was connected to the Car the Android OS saw my home network and changed connection during the update, to try to prove this I tested with just the normal app and left the app connected for some 5 mins on my return to the phone the Wi-Fi connection was still Connected to the car’s Wi-Fi but the Android Notifications were stating the Wi-Fi connection was unstable and offered a setting to change to auto switch to a better connection at Wi-Fi > Advanced > Auto Network Switch, I looked at this setting and it was not enabled on the Phone ?
the phone was not on power save so I can only assume that Wi-Fi interference caused my disconnection to the car (my estate has plenty of Wi-Fi signals including my own that could be the potential cause )
I think in future I will perform an update in a remote location away from potential interference.

Collected mine yesterday. He said all software updates will be done at the annual service. Given the problems reported I'll be sticking to that!

I know its a 6 month old thread however interestingly enough, even though this is for last year, their is a comment about them monitoring the European situation.

"Mitsubishi says that a further 1,800 vehicles in Europe could also have a glitch in the battery monitoring unit, but the decision to recall them has not be made yet as they are evaluating the problem"

http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-recalls-6517-outlander-phevs/

Seems to me that people have posted the type of issue mentioned here in these forums.

Back