New tyres and EV warning light

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timofross

Has anyone got a solution to this problem:

I have fitted new tyres, Hanook to my PHEV Outlander on the front as the rear ones are still only partly worn.
the EV service light then comes on as it detects a difference in the size or rotation or something.

The service garage say it is not possible to re-calibrate the system, so I will need to replace the rear tyres.

I accepted this the first time it happened and I could not get Toyo types, but this seems like a manufactures fault on the cars software.

Any comments please.

Hi there....

I had to change my two front tyres following my first MOT due to deep cuts in the side wall.
Had Hankook-Optimo fitted so far no problems, the Mitsibushi service manager did say that sometimes a warning light might come on.

Have you tried to re-set the TPMS yourself? I think it might be possible?

Not sure that any electronic ability the PHEV has to detect a difference in the rotational size of the tyres has anything to do with the TPMS. Surely TPMS only detects pressure drop - and in the case of the PHEV only quite a crude detection of pressure loss as the actual exact pressure (ie. in PSi) is not displayed anywhere.

billa said:
Hi there....

I had to change my two front tyres following my first MOT due to deep cuts in the side wall.
Had Hankook-Optimo fitted so far no problems, the Mitsibushi service manager did say that sometimes a warning light might come on.

Have you tried to re-set the TPMS yourself? I think it might be possible?

Hi, thanks for your response. I have loooked and can find no option on vehicle settings to reset TPMS in fact I was unaware there were TPMS settings for the car, prior to your response.

Thanks any way

NightPHEVer said:
Not sure that any electronic ability the PHEV has to detect a difference in the rotational size of the tyres has anything to do with the TPMS. Surely TPMS only detects pressure drop - and in the case of the PHEV only quite a crude detection of pressure loss as the actual exact pressure (ie. in PSi) is not displayed anywhere.

Hi , thanks for responding, I can't find any TPMS controls in vehicle settings on my version which is a 2015 model.
Last time I had to swap all my tyres for Continentals to over come the issue.
Of course in the intervening period I forgot about the issue, and this time as the Continentals were not immediately available I went for the Hankook tyres on the front axle.

A 2015 one will not have TPMS, but it will detect size differences between the tyres and warn of discrepancies outside the tolerance, as this will affect stability control and yaw compensation. Always replace four tyres, and if only one or two: Same brand, same type.

You may get away with différents brands and models as long as the actual circumferences are close enough. I think in some extreme cases it can trigger an error if front tires are wore faster than rear ones.

I have a tread depth gauge. How much difference should trigger the swap? I’ll go out and measure them right now.

Hi there...…

In case you have TPMS this link might be helpful-

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=p_s0W7qKD4H_swGG8ruoBA&q=phev+tpms+reset&oq=phev+tpms+rest&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i13i30k1j0i13i5i30k1.648156.653277.0.658661.14.14.0.0.0.0.327.3479.2-13j1.14.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.14.3470...0j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.iw03NRbL5wI#kpvalbx=1&spf=1530199613889

I was told by my Mitsubishi service manager that matching the tyre compound was very important, apparently Hankook is very close to the original Toyo.

Do you have Toyo at the rear or Conti? If Conti maybe Hankook and Conti compound combination wont mix?

jaapv said:
A 2015 one will not have TPMS.

My 2014 'clear-rear-lens' Gx4h has TPMS. Still not sure TPMS could be responsible for the detection of different circumference tyres or compounds. How would TPMS valves do that? Unless, if the speed of rotation of the valve is faster or slower than the wheels at the other end of the car, the TPMS receiver can detect that difference? Mind you, I don't know how any electronic device could detect different tyre compounds either. Unless the relative different amount of 'slip' (resistance to the road surface) can be detected by the traction control?

Ah, but my September 2014 does have TPMS, so a 2015 car will have it, as well. However, the OP refers to EV service warning not the TPMS light so there is something else going on here which is not due to TPMS.

Whilst different tyres on the same axle are not recommended for any 4WD car, I have also run different back & front with no problems

My 2015 PHEV has new Hankooks on the front and worn Toyos on the rear without a problem. It also has TPMS, though it's irrelevant to the warning, as it only measure pressures. You can access the TPMS settings via the display on the dash when the handbrake is on and the car is "on". If you cycle through the displays, you get to "Settings", which has a TPMS option within it.

The reason for the warning is that the S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control) 4wd system continually measures various parameters including the speed of rotation of the various wheels to check for slippage so that it can correct a slide. If the wheels are sufficiently different in size, it might trigger a warning as it thinks one axle is continually slipping slightly. I've no idea what the margin for error is, but I'm obviously within it with my setup.

On conventional 4WD there is an issue of drivetrain wind up when the rotation of the rear axle is different to the front axle, some of this can be compensated for using a differential between the axles. Differing tyre circumferences can exasperate the issue, my old Kia Sorento was sensitive to 3mm difference in diameter (pretty much the difference between part worn and new tyres) and would 'hunt' on the transmission and make you sea sick. Now I understand we don't have a centre differential but the clever electronics are playing this role and that is why the car can't cope with wildly different tyre circumferences, the technical advice for the Kia was if this happened to swap the tyres front to back as the rear tyres generally travel less distance in turning and get an easier life by not turning(therefore last longer), not sure if this works on the Mitsi, as I have new tyres (different make) on the front and worn on the back (but only done 15k miles from new)

Back