Retrofit of 1500W AC inverter possible?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProudGecko

My family is the proud owner of a new 2018 Outlander PHEV SEL (USA spec). It's only been a few days, but so far we love the vehicle. We enjoy the quiet ride around town and the decent MPG on the highway (compared to our BMW X3). Overall the SEL trim level is just about perfect for us, it's technology features are only a minor step up from our 2007 X3 and the interior materials are comparable.

The one feature from the GT level trim that we wish we had is the 1500W AC inverter with outlets in the cabin and trunk. It wasn't worth the $6000 up charge but I'm hoping there's a way to retrofit this feature? I asked a mechanic at our local dealer and he thought it might void the warranty. Honestly our local dealer appears to be very uneducated about the PHEV model, the mechanic didn't realize the vehicle is rated for towing!

For the retrofit, I'm hoping it's a matter of collecting/installing the right parts and getting the vehicle programmed to enable the feature. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

I want to know the answer to this as well. Is there any way to use the 2018 PHEV SEL as a battery backup for charging/running small appliances in case of a power outage?

I do not think that it is a realistic option, and I think getting a third party to do so will certainly void the guaranty.

It should not be so hard to add an inverter to the PHEV battery

I guess the '18 model has the battery in same location as any previous PHEV model.

Yes, one of the two battery terminal is relative hidden, but should not be a big issue to temporary remove the plastic cover for add a couple of thick cables and plug for the inverter.

The 12V battery of our PHEV is relative small, so when running the inverter the car would need to be "on" for be able to charge in real time the 12V battery form the main one.

Clearly the end solution will be not so clean as from the factory ... but it can be functional, if used with attention

I rather doubt that a 1500 W inverter can run off the 12 V battery. Even if it could sustain the current for longer periods, the car charger probably could never keep up.
You'd need to run the inverter off the drive battery directly.

The 12v battery in our PHEV should be: GS Yausa S46B24L(S)

This is a 45Ah capacity battery rated up to 325A

So, 1.5kw power can be obtained from this battery

I'm not sure what is the rated power of the 320v to 14.7v (12v) DC-DC charger that the PHEV has for charge the AUX battery .. but I bet is at least 500w (possibly even 1kw, since on 12v we have also the heated seats which alone consume 300w, plus the defrost, light, etc .. I guess the max 12v consumption can be over 600w )

So .. using a continuous load of 1.5kw while the car is on .. is equivalent of 1kw load on the battery ..
At a safe 25Ah discharge level ... it means around max 15min of usage at full 1.5kw .. if the DC-DC charger is capable to handle 1kw .. then 1.5kw can be used even for 30min

PS: It would be cool to have a Chademo converter capable to provide 220v AC ... but I would expect this to be very expensive if it would exist

Yes, but only being able to use full load for 15 minutes rather defeats the purpose. If one would want to use it during power outages it will be needed for hours, if not days in case of a natural disaster. Much better to have a 2kW generator standing by

jaapv said:
Yes, but only being able to use full load for 15 minutes rather defeats the purpose. If one would want to use it during power outages it will be needed for hours, if not days in case of a natural disaster. Much better to have a 2kW generator standing by

I don't know what is the "intended" purpose .. guess anybody can have his own

My house has a 20kw connection/contract with the grid.

So ... 1.5kw ... is quite useless for power up my house.

I guess the "portable" 1.5kw from the PHEV can make some sense on camping, or running some machine outdoor .. like some electric cooker or some electric chain saw ... so ... 15min may be enough.

PS: It could also be possible to add a 100Ah in parallel to the 45Ah battery .. in this case ... there will be almost 1h of 1.5kw available .. but it will cause to have 30kg of dead weight in the car all the time

It would keep your freezer running, power a few lights and the telly, keep the electronics of the heating alive, etc.
You don't need 20 kW to survive.

jaapv said:
It would keep your freezer running, power a few lights and the telly, keep the electronics of the heating alive, etc.
You don't need 20 kW to survive.

My heating is more electric then electronic .. 2 x 8kw heaters + 1 x 1.6kw for 120L of warm water
Plus .. if I want to eat warm food .. I have electric "fires" and electric oven + microwave (this is possibly the less power hungry .. with just 750w power max)

So .. I can't survive with less then 4kw ... and in winter I need at least 10kw

Anyhow ... I would not even know how to start to connect an inverter to the home power net (I have not only normal 220AC, but also 380V 3-phases too) .. and I guess most of people are in the same condition ... plug the house to an inverter is more easy to say then not to do it ... it is not only "about" to provide AC power .. but as well to detect (the power from the grid) and integrate in the home network

So ... I believe nobody will use our PHEV for power a house ... but just for power one electric tool

jaapv said:
Cooking and heating need not be electric.

Need ... :?:

Electric cooking is relative common
But ... Electric heating is quite rare ..

PS: Personally I'm happy that there is no gas in my house, and no oil tank too ... at sub 10cent per kwh .. heating a house with electricity is more or less as expensive as using oil or gas ... but maintenance cost for electric heating system is zero ...

elm70 said:
jaapv said:
Cooking and heating need not be electric.

Need ... :?:
need
/niːd/
verb: need; 3rd person present: needs; past tense: needed; past participle: needed; gerund or present participle: needing; modal verb: need

expressing necessity or obligation.
"need I say more?"
synonyms: have to, be under an obligation to, be obliged to, be compelled to, be under a compulsion to;

I'm glad to say that I am off on holiday soon to places where electricity is not a need. Of the five weeks, only one will be on the grid. For the rest: Only a spot of solar to charge the occasional battery and maintain an Intelsat internet connection (which I can easily live without) about 2 watts of LED light, no telephone, borehole/lake water, heating-cooling by sun and wind, no roads, only accesssible by light aircraft and/or boat :) :)
Oh - cooking - wood. ;)

jaapv said:
I'm glad to say that I am off on holiday soon to places where electricity is not a need. Of the five weeks, only one will be on the grid. For the rest: Only a spot of solar to charge the occasional battery and maintain an Intelsat internet connection (which I can easily live without) about 2 watts of LED light, no telephone, borehole/lake water, heating-cooling by sun and wind, no roads, only accesssible by light aircraft and/or boat :) :)
Oh - cooking - wood. ;)

Sure .. just 100 years ago, there was no electricity .. and people were able to survive the winter and cook some food.

Possibly food was even more tasty then .. but winter I bet was more chilly ...

Make vacation in the middle of nowhere , isolated from the universe , without the power grid ... make sense only for vacations ... unless ... you are a very special person :ugeek:

Anyhow ... no roads .... so .. you can't use your PHEV as power generator :mrgreen:

I was talking about emergency use and survival in my original post.

Well, maybe I would not live there not forever, but certainly a substantial part of each year :) But don't forget that there are many, many millions of people that live without modern amenities and have no choice. It is rather insensitive to claim "that was 100 years ago" It is not - it is now.

http://www.nkwichi.com/videos/

Just I installed inverter on my Mitsubishi and is working great, i installed one inverted 2500w continue and 5000w peak, of cours i will use only 1500-2000w, not good idea to have one inverter 1500w and use 1500w. ( you will burn the inverter) I tested 10 hours through OBD2 ( watchdog) and how long you use the inverter to 2100w everything is fine. I specified the Aux battery is on the back and the inverter have nice place in the box . 2100w is ok for sistem not dropping not even 0,1v the Aux battery. I used 10kw with heat gun and when the main battery was under 25% started the generator and charged the battery. This inverter have remote control with cable and i will install the original push button for activated the inverter and off course I will install 2 sockets like original . Not big cost but is amazing to have 240 every where you go and when you need,

Attachments

• 0A1C98DA-0CAD-4DB4-9D66-7E12BE17A9D4.png
    808.2 KB · Views: 91
Could you post a picture of how you wired it? Would love to do this with my outlander but so little information if it will flatten the aux battery or not when the car is on.

:arrow: would really like a diagram or pic/ explanation of how you did this, as I will be wanting to do the same, living off grid in the sticks solar power charging the battery and using lights/devices/ washing machine.

Thankyou in advance to anyone who may be able to shed some light on where/how! to install it

I would assume it's just a 12V inverter connected closely to the Aux battery to keep the high current cable runs short. From what he's saying, it seems that the DC/DC converter from Drive battery to Aux battery is able to 'keep up' with the inverter power requirement, so as long as you have fuel and leave the vehicle in Ready mode, you have AC power.

Big deal, you can have a petrol powered generator to do the same, and if you're going to be using a lot more power than the drive battery had in it when you started, it's probably more efficient to use the small generator than it is the big car engine.

Back