Max Level 1 Charge Rate

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmtxphev

What is the maximum rate the Outlander can charge at for Level 1 charging? I'm asking because on my Volt, the limit is 12A, which is set on the vehicle. However, on my wife's Outlander, the charging rate is set by a switch on the EVSE. That made me wonder if you got an EVSE that can provide more amps, like the one in the link below which can provide 16A, if the Outlander could accept that or if it would still be limited to 12A.

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-Portable-Electric-Recognized-Component/dp/B071DM35LT/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531931162&sr=8-6&keywords=level+1+evse

I have that Duosida 16A charger. Works just fine. The car will accept a maximum of 3500W - so at 120V it will draw 16 amps from that charger which is about half it's maximum rate. I get a full charge in about 7 hours.

By the way my Duosida is rated at 120V/240V. With the proper plug I can also use it on 240V at 16A where it will pull the maximum 3500 watt rate, and fully charge my battery in about 3.5 hours.

I see they sell a similar one for a few dollars more that says 240V. It is likely the same unit, just with a different plug on it.

By the way the car does not really know/care about L1 or L2. L1 is generally charging below 2kw, L2 is more than 2kw. The car just looks at voltage and what current the charger (EVSE) says it can supply. Typically at 120V you are stuck at L1. The car will accept any combination up to 3500W. (Maybe someone knows - will the Outlander pull 32A at 120V with the appropriate EVSE, and will it charge at voltages above 240V?)

Just be sure your outlet can supply 16A without tripping a breaker. If the outlet is shared by other stuff like a refrigerator you may have a problem at 16A. With that Duosida you can't make it charge at a lower current. I use it on a dedicated 15A circuit - according to my meter it really draws more like 14.5A on both 120V and 240V, and hasn't tripped a 15A breaker yet.

fmtxphev said:
What is the maximum rate the Outlander can charge at for Level 1 charging? I'm asking because on my Volt, the limit is 12A, which is set on the vehicle. However, on my wife's Outlander, the charging rate is set by a switch on the EVSE. That made me wonder if you got an EVSE that can provide more amps, like the one in the link below which can provide 16A, if the Outlander could accept that or if it would still be limited to 12A.

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-Portable-Electric-Recognized-Component/dp/B071DM35LT/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531931162&sr=8-6&keywords=level+1+evse

fmtxphev said:

Why not spend an additional $10 and get the Level 2 charger? Seriously. Have you noticed how hot the cord and outlet get when running L1 charging at just 12A? Most L1 outlets and wiring were not really built to take that type of current for long periods of time. They'll do it, but they'll get extremely hot, due to high gauge wiring (lower gauge = thicker wires) and not only does it feel like a fire hazard, it also loses A LOT of energy in resistive heating of the wiring. As a temporary solution for a rental house or something like that, sure, but then again, the L1 charger that came with the car is good enough for that. Of course if I frequently rented houses that didn't have 220V plugs in the garage, I'd get a NEMA 10-30 or NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 6-20 converter and the Turbocord EVSE, so that I could use the dryer outlet and charge at 220V.

The 2nd generation Volt may come with a level 2 evse already (check the gm-volt forum). If there is a 240v outlet in the garage, the charge time is half without spending extra money on a new evse.

I just installed a extra evse in the garage (level 2) and use it only on the weekends. One day, I will be brave enough to plug in my Mitsubishi OEM evse in 240V and see if it is indeed a level2...

Tai

I didn't realize that there were still places left that have 120V electrical outlets... :? No need to be brave to plug the PHEV EVSE into 240 V, tens of thousands of users have been doing so for the last five years. No purple and black smoke yet.

Back