Air Con leak detection dye

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPHEVer

Forres, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear li
My PHEV has a recent history of air con losing pressure somehow. In September 2017 the air con snowflake symbol started flashing and the air con didn't blow very cold. It had 189grammes of gas removed and 600grammes put back in. No leaks were apparent at this time. Worked ok after that. But then again, in July 2018, air con symbol started flashing again and it wouldn't blow very cold again. 125grammes removed and 600grammes put back in, so clearly the gas must be going somewhere. Still no leaks were apparent though. But this time leak detecting dye was put in the system so that any leaks could be seen using an ultra violet light (which I happen to have). Haven't been able to see any leakage yet though. This was done at a Mitsubishi main dealer.

The thing is, I've read some opinions regarding the use of leak detecting dye in air conditioning systems and some suggest that adding the dye is not a good thing as it 'can gum the system up'. Anyone know anything about this or had any expereience of leak detecting dye causing problems?

Had a similar issues. The condenser was changed under warranty; examine your carefully. You'll ned a mirror on a stick.

Not heard that the dye causes issues; you must regas with a refrigerant that is suitable for electric cars.

A regas is chargeable but if there's a leak its a warranty claim.

I've been through this process with another car.

The leak was up high underneath the dashboard and only found after the dye was added to the refrigerant.

Once it was found, a seal was replaced (an o-ring inside a coupling), and the air-con worked flawlessly from then on.

(I sold the car approximately four years after having the leak fixed, without any subsequent issues.)

I'm praying that it's not the condenser. Unfortunately my Smart car has needed two new condensers over the last 10 years - both failed due to poor quality metal that the matrix was made from disintegrating, not from external damage ie. stone damage - so I'm familiar with the potential cost of condenser replacement. The first one failed just after the three year MB warranty had expired!

Unfortunately my PHEV warranty has now expired. I wonder what would happen if (perish the thought) the leak was inside the cabin somewhere ie. one of the two evaporators (as far as I can determine, one for the cabin and one for the batteries). How would this be detectable or visible?

Anyway, I'm going to wait until it's starting to get dark, switch on the air con and then using my UV lamp have a close look at the AC joints and connectons, and the condenser. Any dye leakage should show up as fluorescent green under the UV lamp.

Soon after we bought our 2015 PHEV from a main dealer around Easter this year, we found that the a/c wasn't blowing very cold. They replaced the condenser for free and gave us a loan car till the new part arrived.

Back