2018 PHEV Extreme Floor Pan Heat

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hddennis

Just returned from my first long trip in my 2018 PHEV. Traveled 655 miles over 12 hours averaged 70 MPH running B5 setting for regeneration. After unloading the cars interior I noticed the floor pan/ carpet was extremely hot on the left hand side just behind the drivers seat where the rear passengers feet would sit. It cooled down rapidly and hasn't returned since. Has anyone experienced this? I don't know if this was coming from the battery or exhaust. Anyone know what is under the floor in this area? Dealer checked it out today and found nothing and the factory had no suggestions either?

Thanks,
Howard Dennis

To be honest, I thought the B5 (or whatever rating you have) depends on the hill condition. ie, if you going downhill, then B5 to slow you down, if going up hill, then B0 (i think). So, having it B5 all the time on flat road doesn't make sense because you are applying regenerative breaking at 70 which from what I remember during my welsh mountain hilly ride around with my ford mondeo ended up burning out my breaks as it got a bit hot and smoky!

One of the nearest points on body to exhaust, which on my 2014 car has some kind of baffle plate welded to pipe there. Maybe to dissipate heat does yours have this? However, I have found setting cruise control (D2 by default) for long distance motorway travel is the most economical as car seems to manage to maintain speed more smoothly than my right foot. :lol:

Just checked under car and the exhaust isn't on the left so that wasn't the source of my hot floor. Dealer knows nothing about this car as it is the first one they have sold and apparently they have no trained mechanic and tell me the diagnostic machine hasn't arrived yet. In frustration I called Mitsubishi hotline and got the same runaround! They claim they have no phone techs and all questions are routed to local dealer. I mentioned I could talk to a tech for my lawnmower but a $40,000.00 new technology car they are trying to promote in North America and you're out of luck! Anyone know the phone number of Mitsubishi North America Corporate headquarters? The one given online doesn't work. I'm about ready to see if I can find one of those consumer advocate TV programs and see if they can get me some answers

To be fair to Mitsubishi I was contacted tonight by a Regional Manager familiar with the PHEV who alleviated all my fears and educated me on the car's use. I also found out the dealer who sold me the car is trying to get certified and was in the process of getting the proper equipment to diagnose the PHEV. I would have thought that would have been a prerequisite BEFORE you could sell me a new car. But I'm happy to report all's well.

Howard Dennis

tweedie said:
To be honest, I thought the B5 (or whatever rating you have) depends on the hill condition. ie, if you going downhill, then B5 to slow you down, if going up hill, then B0 (i think). So, having it B5 all the time on flat road doesn't make sense because you are applying regenerative breaking at 70 which from what I remember during my welsh mountain hilly ride around with my ford mondeo ended up burning out my breaks as it got a bit hot and smoky!
I'm afraid you've misunderstood the 'B' setting - they affect how much power is extracted from the car when it is decelerating, and only when it is decelerating. They do affect the throttle map, so that you have to press harder for the same power output at higher settings, but when coasting or powering the motors, they have no effect whatsoever on the actual power usage for a given speed or acceleration.

I`ve noticed this also during longer trips.
I guess its heat from the battery pack.
Not very smart during summer, in winter i guess it will be just fine for the person sitting behind me :)
My car was brand new from dealer May.28 this year.

I was going to report that having slammed the car at a steady 81mph (130kph) all the way from Calais to Riviera almost non-stop in 30c today the floor behind my driver's seat (i.e. over the exhaust) is still cool - but I noticed the OP is driving on the "wrong" side of the road :lol: - so not relevant.

What was more interesting was the both EV % and mpg (on dash board NOT MMCS) plummeted and then stabilised at around 30% and 30mpg. Probably should have removed the roof bars :oops:

:lol: Came back at closer to 85mph and consumption sank to 28 mpg but after 20 hours of driving that extra 5mph puts you 100 miles closer to home (made Coquelles hypermarket 5 mins before they closed :roll: )

ThudnBlundr said:
tweedie said:
I'm afraid you've misunderstood the 'B' setting - they affect how much power is extracted from the car when it is decelerating, and only when it is decelerating. They do affect the throttle map, so that you have to press harder for the same power output at higher settings, but when coasting or powering the motors, they have no effect whatsoever on the actual power usage for a given speed or acceleration.

thanks for the education cos I do find it confusing when to apply the B settings!

hddennis said:
To be fair to Mitsubishi I was contacted tonight by a Regional Manager familiar with the PHEV who alleviated all my fears and educated me on the car's use. I also found out the dealer who sold me the car is trying to get certified and was in the process of getting the proper equipment to diagnose the PHEV. I would have thought that would have been a prerequisite BEFORE you could sell me a new car. But I'm happy to report all's well.

Howard Dennis

I also noticed my 2018 Outlander PHEV driver side rear passenger floor was very warm after returning home from a 200 KM drive, were you able to get an explanation from Mitsubishi?

Back