Check engine light after driving it 3 times!!!!!?????

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigid

Hello,

I purchased my vehicle a week ago. I have only driven it a few times. A check engine light as well as a message "EV SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED STOP SAFELY". I was able to restart the vehicle and drove straight to the dealership but it was closed. Has anyone else experienced this? I am freaking out hoping that I have not received a lemon!!!!

I got the EV SYSTEM--- ,message at about 20,000 km. I took it to the dealer the following morning (everything still worked) and they had it back to me in less than an hour with the offending software replaced. It seems that this MY had a glitch in the early production run.

A flat or near flat 12V battery can be the reason for that error message.

How far have you driven? I ask because the auxiliary 12V battery that runs all the car operating software and lights, accessories, etc, is only charged from the traction battery when the car is in full 'Ready' mode, ie as if the engine is running.

However cars with wifi for the app do charge the 12V battery daily so it shouldn't happen unless you have been sitting in the car with the start button in its first 'accessories' position and you have drained the 12V battery.

It could also be that the car has been sat unused for a while and the 12V battery is now useless!

I guess I never closed the loop on my problems after the first month of ownership.

Short version: frustration and worry, but everything is fine now.

Will post an update in the original thread - my story starts here: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3512&start=12

J

Brigid said:
Hello,

I purchased my vehicle a week ago. I have only driven it a few times. A check engine light as well as a message "EV SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED STOP SAFELY". I was able to restart the vehicle and drove straight to the dealership but it was closed. Has anyone else experienced this? I am freaking out hoping that I have not received a lemon!!!!

This happened to my new 2018 Outlander PHEV as well, after picked it up from the dealer, drove it a few times. The dealer updated the firmware and so far so good for two months now.

I have driven for 150 miles and my check engine light is on today. Today I tried driving in ECO mode all day. Could that have caused it?

LMills said:
I have driven for 150 miles and my check engine light is on today. Today I tried driving in ECO mode all day. Could that have caused it?

Definitely not, I drive in Eco all the time and no check engine light in 43,000km

Back