EV system service required, RBS service required

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avsaf

Hi there, Ive recently bought a used GX4h, 15 plate which has done around 23000 miles. One morning I leave for work like normal and about 40 seconds into drive I get the 2 messages posted in the topic. I turn back and pull into my driveway, where I turn the car off and turn it back on again - this time with the same signs but being told to stop safely. I leave the car for about 20 minutes and try turn it on again, and surprise surprise, the car is back to normal with no signs and absolutely fine to drive. Now a couple weeks have passed from that incident and Ive had the same problem again this morning... same 2 signs with the same problem. Today I noticed that i couldn't even lock the car or open the boot which was weird - but once again I left it for a couple of hours and now it's back to normal. Contacted Mitsubishi, but the earliest appointment they could give me was 7th December.
Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

I had the same messages on a start up a couple of months ago, though mine ran fine after just a 5 minute wait. I called my dealer, who had me in the next morning, and back out the door in 45 minutes with a software upgrade that seems to have fixed the problem, now 15,000 km on.

This problem came up for the third time, but this time wouldn't go - resulting in the car being useless as it wouldn't start. Was able to get it towed to a Mitsubishi service centre who later diagnose it with a bad module in the hybrid battery. Now I've been told it wont be covered by warranty and invoice provided is for £3600. Is it worth looking elsewhere and getting the battery reconditioned by someone other than Mitsubishi?

avsaf said:
This problem came up for the third time, but this time wouldn't go - resulting in the car being useless as it wouldn't start. Was able to get it towed to a Mitsubishi service centre who later diagnose it with a bad module in the hybrid battery. Now I've been told it wont be covered by warranty and invoice provided is for £3600. Is it worth looking elsewhere and getting the battery reconditioned by someone other than Mitsubishi?

I think you will find it difficult to get anyone other than Mitsubishi to carry out that kind of job. My experience is that most of the independant garages are unwilling to touch anything under the bonnet. In your case, it is a repair that would probably require some specialized equipment but in the general case it's a H&S issue. I did discuss it with my local Kwikfit and the manager explained that they were aware that the car included a high voltage battery pack that was very capable of killing anyone working under the bonnet. If he let one of his fitters who has not received the full Mitsubishi training loose on the car and they got upwards of 500V DC at a significant current through them, he would get his ass sued off. There are not enough PHEVs on the road yet to justify companies like Kwikfit training up staff and equipping themselves with all the necesary tools and instruments.

avsaf said:

Why is is not covered by warranty?

From Mitsubishi website (current):

"New vehicles supplied in the UK by an authorised Mitsubishi Motors Dealer, and registered from 1st January 2015 have a 5 year, 62,500 mile warranty (whichever comes first). For vehicles registered prior to this date, please speak to your local dealer for details."

If you have a 15 plate, I can't understand how this would not be covered under warranty...

Back