Original Mitsubishi roof bars - fitting detail help

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3409

I have purchased a set of roof bars for my PHEV secondhand on eBay but there is no instructions with them and I have looked on the net and can't find the answer to my question.
The bars are branded Mitsubishi but they look very similar to the Thule products so I suspect they are actually made by them.

The mountings have 2 pins on the inside face that locate in holes in the factory fitted rails. The rails have grey plugs in the holes but its still possible to fit the bars with the plugs in place as they have a sort of centre bit that depresses and then returns to shape when the bars are removed. And the actual holes in the rails are much bigger than the pins when the plugs are removed.

So my question is, do the plugs need removing or leaving in place to correctly fit the roof bars?

Topradio said:
I have purchased a set of roof bars for my PHEV secondhand on eBay but there is no instructions with them and I have looked on the net and can't find the answer to my question.
The bars are branded Mitsubishi but they look very similar to the Thule products so I suspect they are actually made by them.

The mountings have 2 pins on the inside face that locate in holes in the factory fitted rails. The rails have grey plugs in the holes but its still possible to fit the bars with the plugs in place as they have a sort of centre bit that depresses and then returns to shape when the bars are removed. And the actual holes in the rails are much bigger than the pins when the plugs are removed.

So my question is, do the plugs need removing or leaving in place to correctly fit the roof bars?

You are correct - they are Thule bars :)

I have removed the plugs from the roof rails when using the roof bars - from memory, the "centre" part of the plug pulls out and then the whole plug can be removed.

I will have a look to see if I can find the instructions, although, like you, I bought mine from ebay.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, so if the centre bit comes out, could it be that the remaining bit stays in place to pack out the hole and make the pins a snug fit?

I have just removed one of the plugs on my rails and it is a single piece. It's an interesting construction in that the inside is perforated where the centre bit is, just like the middle is designed to collapse when the roof rack pin is inserted and the perforations let out the air from the hollow rubber core.

This suggests to me that Mitsubishi intended that the rubber bungs should stay in place with the rack installed.

Back