How can I tell when the ICE is running?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3409

OK so this might seem like a daft question but can you tell exactly when the ICE is running. I know that the power indicator shows where the power is coming from (and going to) but does the energy flow indicator (blue or brown) represent when the engine is running, or can it still be turning and burning with no power flow?

The reason I ask is because the indicator can show very intermittent on/off flow, like turning on for a few seconds and then off for the same or less. Surely they can't be starting and stopping the engine every few seconds? If they are then this can't be particularly efficient or good for the engine.

Another question I have is does the car have a conventional starter motor or do they fire it up by some other means. I have heard about stop/start systems that spin the engine by firing one cylinder while it's at TDC.

Sorry if these are daft questions but I am still learning about the car.

I can't speak with authority, but my car sounds like the generator turns the engine to start it.

What ever the mechanism is, it is very fast.

Definitely no sound of a starter motor.

The generator will turn the engine to start. It is an old principle called Dynastart. The NSU Prinz of the 1960-ies had it, amongst others.

The intermittent on/of is shown during the warm up phase. The engine is on all the time but not really contributing. And yes, the engine can be on and burning fuel when it is off according to the display.

Engine design is by GKN. There is no starter. Generator is integrated so works both ways, computer can start engine as it does when cold weather and you start heating.

You're kidding, right?

You've never heard the sound of a starter motor?

High pitched rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr sound before the car starts?

In this car there is a very muffled klumph sound and the engine starts immediately.

In other modern cars that turn off when the car is stationary, you can hear a single high pitched rrr in the instant before the car starts. (Probably the combination of a starter motor and the electronic ignition advancing the timing so that the engine fires up almost immediately)

There is no conventional 12V starter motor in the PHEV. The generator unit starts the engine using the drive battery. Very quickly too due to the huge amount of torque available and its strong connection to the flywheel through a clutch rather than a relatively small ring gear and pinion on a conventional starter motor. And yes, the variable valve timing system helps reduce compression to make it easier still.

The 12V battery and electrical system run everything else (lights, windows, electronics etc), but all of the rotation of the transmission systems to propel the vehicle or start the engine are done from the 300V drive battery and the high current electrical system.

richr said:
There is no conventional 12V starter motor in the PHEV.
With that I totally agree.

Half of the GKN contraption is ICE + generator. Other half is front E-motor + diff. Clutch sits in between two halfs. So, the connection from generator to ICE is even more direct. No clutch involved there.

richr said:
Even better :)

I think I'll spend some time this Christmas reading the technical documents on here properly. Only discovered them the other day.

I didn't know they existed, I will go and take a look.

Many thanks for the comprehensive info, all very interesting. I'm starting to be converted to the hybrid, this may not be my last.

Merry Christmas All

Back