Save ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jojoxx

Got in the car this morning and the car showed 27 miles ev . As I need the ev later on and still learning/playing I pressed save . But the engine did not start ! It continued to use ev ! Is this normal/correct ? I have tried looking on here but no joy ( my fault ) can anyone put a worrier out of his misery ?

As far as I recall, SAVE won't kick in with a fully charged battery. When it's depleted a bit, the engine won't necessarily start straight away, anyway. SAVE will attempt to retain the battery at the level it is, by alternately using battery, then running the engine to charge it back up. This results in the level "hovering" around the set point. In some cases, you can gain a bit of range over the course of a trip, depending on conditions.

Save will only work after the SOC has dropped to 80% or below. If you use charge button it will charge only upto 80% . This is protect battery. Even in Tesla you are advised to charge 80% . Slow trickle charge is ok for 100%.

I have the same problem, as it's only a 5-minute journey to the dual carriageway. I prefer to run Save on faster roads to reduce the power drawn from the battery, but it won't start the ICE for a couple of minutes after I join.

It's not really keeping the range the same - I pressed Save after a climb with the range showing 8 miles EV. Several miles later, the range was showing 13, though the percentage shown on the dash hadn't changed. It tries to maintain the same SOC as when you pressed the button. So it won't start immediately when you press it anyway. It allows the SOC to drop by a bit using EV mode before starting the ICE to get back to the same SOC.

Kesto said:
Save will only work after the SOC has dropped to 80% or below...
With a 100% full battery, you have (almost) no possibility for recovering energy when braking.
Only a SOC below maximum allows to use the features of a hybrid car.

When driving over high mountains, I always try to have an empty battery (a low SOC) on top as preparation for the long descent.
Without consideration of any efficiencies, driving down a 2 tons car for 1800 m height is aequivalent to 10 kWh.

If you should drive without considering this, all energy from a descent can only be "burnt" by usage of the disk brakes...
:(

ThudnBlundr said:
I have the same problem, as it's only a 5-minute journey to the dual carriageway. I prefer to run Save on faster roads to reduce the power drawn from the battery, but it won't start the ICE for a couple of minutes after I join.

It's not really keeping the range the same - I pressed Save after a climb with the range showing 8 miles EV. Several miles later, the range was showing 13, though the percentage shown on the dash hadn't changed. It tries to maintain the same SOC as when you pressed the button. So it won't start immediately when you press it anyway. It allows the SOC to drop by a bit using EV mode before starting the ICE to get back to the same SOC.
The indicated range is even more unreliable in the mountains. I have seen 98 km with the battery half empty.

Back